Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What Buggy Should I Buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Buggy Should I Buy

Hey guys, i am planning on buying a new 1/10 scale 2wd racing buggy for $250 and under, please let me know what your recomendations are for the race buggy im looking to purchase. thanks!
Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: What Buggy Should I Buy

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Hey guys, i am planning on buying a new 1/10 scale 2wd racing buggy for $250 and under, please let me know what your recomendations are for the race buggy im looking to purchase. thanks!
you should buy my thunder tiger phoenix xb!

I do have one for sale, but even new its a good deal. Brushless and ready to run for $200 new (battery not included)
It is a rebranded team associated B3.
Ball diff, CVD driveshafts, alloy shocks, 2.4ghz radio.
Sure, its an older race buggy...but its a good sturdy design.

Only issue out of the box is that it comes under geared. I put SCT tires on the back of mine. I also geared it up. Now it does close to 40mph on a 2s lipo.

Only other brushless buggy in that price range is the redcat twister xb. Its setup like a race buggy and has a powerfull esc/motor. I don't think its as sturdy as the thunder tiger tho.

Most other buggies under $250 are gonna be brushed and not as fast.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:11 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

If you are fine with brushed and don't mind a top speed of just over 20mph, then get the ECX boost.
Comes RTR with a battery for a low enough price that you can buy a decent charger and 1-2 more batteries. Its a tough little buggy. Ive had one, and even when I put a brushless system in it and doubled the speed I don't recall having hardly anything break!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:05 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

B4.2; http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-24GHz-Radio
Old 06-20-2013, 07:13 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

no battery included...so likely over his budget.
the thunder tiger new is $200, leaving $50 for battery/charger...which you can probly do on hobbypartz.com if you go nimh battery.
ECX boost is around $150 including battery. Almost leaves enough to upgrade to brushless later on.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking for a racing buggy, then go with the thunder tiger. If you are looking for a play buggy, then get the ECX.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:17 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: i8tweety

If you are looking for a racing buggy, then go with the thunder tiger. If you are looking for a play buggy, then get the ECX.
agreed. Both are tough (as buggies go) but the thunder tiger is far more tunable. The ball diff can greatly effect handling, and the shocks are better as well.

Both are fun. The thunder tiger is faster out of the box, and with a larger pinion gear is a good 15mph faster. But, faster costs a bit more as well.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:20 PM
DieHarder

I hate threads like this.... There's always one like this around! "What should I buy?", "What should I do?", "Should I get this, or this?" !!!! It's like, just do some research, find something that sounds good. Check eBay and the LHS to make sure they have/can get parts, and buy it! There's good quality in ALL hobby-grade RCs. Just take a shot at it, find the forum for that specific vehicle, and learn about it! It ain't that hard!...
Old 06-20-2013, 05:30 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: DieHarder

I hate threads like this.... There's always one like this around! ''What should I buy?'', ''What should I do?'', ''Should I get this, or this?'' !!!! It's like, just do some research, find something that sounds good. Check eBay and the LHS to make sure they have/can get parts, and buy it! There's good quality in ALL hobby-grade RCs. Just take a shot at it, find the forum for that specific vehicle, and learn about it! It ain't that hard!...
they do get tedious....but that's part of what these forums are for....the new guys who know nothing. Many newbs don't know of more than one brand name (and usually traxxas at that)
If you don't know the brand names, then you cant search.
And even if they new the names....being new they don't likely know the difference between brushed, brushless, lipo, nimh and so on.

The only time such threads irritate me is when some new members make multiple posts asking the same question.

Also..."there is good quality in ALL hobby-grade RC's"? I can think of a few that are a total waste of your money.
The OP now can search on the thunder tiger, boost and any others which have been named. But he needed a starting place to search from.
Remember when you knew nothing about RC???
Old 06-20-2013, 07:09 PM
DieHarder

It wasn't a personal insult, I was just stating how many threads there are out there that are like this. I just have a different way of explaining it, that's all. I tend to just lose it every now and then... As for not knowing the brands, go to Tower, or Amain, ALMOST all their featured brands and brands listed, are legit and at LEAST slightly worthwhile. Not trying to be mean, or carry this on too far, but just curious, which cars were you thinking were a "total waste of your money"??Yes, I do remember when I didn't know anything about RCs, I was 7 at the time.... I knew enough to work on em, fix them, and buy them. From there I've continued to learn more....
ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

I hate threads like this.... There's always one like this around! ''What should I buy?'', ''What should I do?'', ''Should I get this, or this?'' !!!! It's like, just do some research, find something that sounds good. Check eBay and the LHS to make sure they have/can get parts, and buy it! There's good quality in ALL hobby-grade RCs. Just take a shot at it, find the forum for that specific vehicle, and learn about it! It ain't that hard!...
they do get tedious....but that's part of what these forums are for....the new guys who know nothing. Many newbs don't know of more than one brand name (and usually traxxas at that)
And even if they new the names....being new they don't likely know the difference between brushed, brushless, lipo, nimh and so on.

The only time such threads irritate me is when some new members make multiple posts asking the same question.

Also..."there is good quality in ALL hobby-grade RC's"? I can think of a few that are a total waste of your money.
The OP now can search on the thunder tiger, boost and any others which have been named. But he needed a starting place to search from.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also...''there is good quality in ALL hobby-grade RC's''? I can think of a few that are a total waste of your money.
New? The ones that irritate me are when some one who act like an expert in everything, claim they have a pile of RC's, asks what they should get, then argues every single reply, and ultimately ends up buying some pile of crap.

DieHarder the "There's good quality in ALL hobby-grade RCs." is not true at all

HPI Brama 10b(worst RC I've EVER owned, and that is counting $10 toys), E10(same platform as brama10b but car form), Recon, and the whole Trophy line just to name some crap RC's from one of the more trusted brands which are all current models hobby shops push in the US.
Most brands have some terrible RC's that should be avoided like the plague.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:56 PM
[email protected]

ya really sorry about all the threads i dont exactly know what a thread is, i thought it was just where you ask questions, but i will try not to ask anymore questions, sorry bout that
Old 06-20-2013, 09:02 PM
[email protected]

Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Don't worry about it asking questions is fine some people are just a bit more hypercritical of others.
Only time I get nasty is when its the same person asking the same exact question every week cause they are too lazy to look for their other thread, and yes we had one person do that a few times.

To the main question IMO Nitro nailed it in his posts as there are not many race worthy RC's that cost under $250. Out side what he listed I can't even think of any off the top of my head.

If you just want a basher there is the Traxxas XL-5 bandit for $200, but be warned its brushed. Not sure if you want brushless or not, and if you want to race you more then likely would not want it
Old 06-20-2013, 09:13 PM
[email protected]

ya im mainly looking for a brushless race buggy. and ive been doing some reasearch and watched some of ultimatercnetwork videos on youtube, and i think i am strongly considering either the Team Associated B4.1 or the Team Associated B4.2 Race Spec.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:26 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ya im mainly looking for a brushless race buggy. and ive been doing some reasearch and watched some of ultimatercnetwork videos on youtube, and i think i am strongly considering either the Team Associated B4.1 or the Team Associated B4.2 Race Spec.
just remember, you will also need battery and charger with those. If you get the brushed version then you will have some money left over. If you get the regular B4 brushless (link posted earlier) then you will be right at $250.

My B3/thunder tiger (IMO) is tougher than the B4 tho. Just my experience. My B3 I had in the past didn't break as often as my friends B4. And my thunder tiger (which is a rebranded B3 as TT owns AE) is just as tough.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:51 AM
DieHarder

Apparently you didn't read what I wrote before that... Obviously, if you know so much about RCs, why the hell did you buy the damn things?!?! Yes there is something good in "ALL" RCs. Like the Brama, it's 4WD, but honestly saying, there's not much more. As for the Recon, what the hell do you expect out of a $110 thing?!?! At least it comes 2.4Ghz! Honestly, I don't see a thing wrong with the Trophy trucks. Other than their over powered, and ends in breakage all the time. But that's what you buy, do some mods/upgrades, and make a great truck. Throw some more at me! I don't give a damn (Speakin your language), I can name at least 1 good thing about, yes "ALL" RC's!
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Also...''there is good quality in ALL hobby-grade RC's''? I can think of a few that are a total waste of your money.
New? The ones that irritate me are when some one who act like an expert in everything, claim they have a pile of RC's, asks what they should get, then argues every single reply, and ultimately ends up buying some pile of crap.

DieHarder the "There's good quality in ALL hobby-grade RCs." is not true at all

HPI Brama 10b(worst RC I've EVER owned, and that is counting $10 toys), E10(same platform as brama10b but car form), Recon, and the whole Trophy line just to name some crap RC's from one of the more trusted brands which are all current models hobby shops push in the US.
Most brands have some terrible RC's that should be avoided like the plague.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 AM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you are going to be racing ? If that is the case would look at the RC10 B4.1 worlds buggy. part support everywhere, easy to find setups,comes loaded with FT hop ups and can be gotten for less than 200.00 with coupons. You will still need electronics but dollar for dollar a fantastic value.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:43 AM
DieHarder

Spend the extra dough, and get this. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXCVZY**&P=ML Well worth it.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:01 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

unless your local racers are hardcore, just get the thunder tiger. It is really a B3, so previous generation to the B4. I raced my when I 1st got it, and did just as well as the guys with B4 and Durango. The advantages of the B4 over the B3 can be overcome by alittle practice. And at $200 RTR & brushless it cant be beat in the value category.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 PM
[email protected]

If this is ponting to me I just wanted to let you know a have many upgrades in evader ext2 such as the element 3900 kv brushless system and I have proline wheels and tires and aluminum bulkhead, aluminum rear hubs, metal one piece dog bones, fully rebuilt gearbox with all metal brushless gears and my battery and charger set up I have a onyx 150 ACDC lipo only charger with a onyx 2000mah 2s lipo 35c, and three of the venom 3200mah 2s lipo 20c. So I don't know a lot but I do know a little so please take your rude comments to another thread THANKS!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 PM
[email protected]

Ya I have a onyx 150 ACDC lipo only charger and a onyx 2000mah 2s lipo 35c and three of the venom 3200mah 2s lipo 20c. So I'm sure 4 battery's will last me a race day, what do you think?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Ya I have a onyx 150 ACDC lipo only charger and a onyx 2000mah 2s lipo 35c and three of the venom 3200mah 2s lipo 20c. So I'm sure 4 battery's will last me a race day, what do you think?
should be. I would only use 2 5000mah packs on a race day.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Apparently you didn't read what I wrote before that... Obviously, if you know so much about RCs, why the hell did you buy the damn things?!?! Yes there is something good in ''ALL'' RCs. Like the Brama, it's 4WD, but honestly saying, there's not much more. As for the Recon, what the hell do you expect out of a $110 thing?!?! At least it comes 2.4Ghz! Honestly, I don't see a thing wrong with the Trophy trucks. Other than their over powered, and ends in breakage all the time. But that's what you buy, do some mods/upgrades, and make a great truck. Throw some more at me! I don't give a damn (Speakin your language), I can name at least 1 good thing about, yes ''ALL'' RC's!
I did read what you wrote before you sounded like you were putting the OP down. As he owns a RC he was just looking for some advice before buying a lemon.

Now "There's good quality in ALL hobby-grade RCs." as read would infer the quality in all RC's is high. Not that there is a good quality about them so I'm sorry I'm not a mind reader, and can only read that statement one way(which it seems like nitro did too). I listed those RC's in argument about how there isn't quality period in some. But you also said "Not trying to be mean, or carry this on too far, but just curious, which cars were you thinking were a "total waste of your money"??" I know that wasn't directed at me but I decided to answer which I thought were, and only listed some by one brand.

As for the trophy trucks being overpowered that is laughable if a RC needs $100 in parts to make it run out of the box it is not good quality, and has no good qualities. There are plenty other RC's in that price range with the same qualities, but are quality made like the Nexx 8t, that has the same power (as it has the same engine), and get something that will take all the abuse you can throw at it with 0 upgrades.

The Recon yes I expected more, and guess what when I bought a new RC18b for $15 more I got well over 100X the quality as not a damn things broke on it. Ok the RC18 had an AM radio, but a $20 2.4ghz radio still cost less then one of the parts bags I needed to fix my recon which was totaled after 10 mins of driving(approximate cost for parts to repair my recon after one mild hit was more then the recon cost) as the stock radio(or maybe the servo) glitched and turned the car right into a pole(I was going straight, and lost control all of a sudden). Can't say what went wrong as I never touched it since, and like I said got the RC18b.

The Brama 10b should never have been sold period all the good points in the world (outside 4wd, and a nice layout there is none) can't make up for terrible quality control, and the terrible plastic quality used.
As for why I got it I was testing the electric RC waters as I only owned nitro prior, and there were no real reviews of it. I told my LHS about the issues I had with one they tried one out themselves after 10 minutes with it out they took them off the shelves, decided not to stock it anymore, and shipped em back to their distributor. I replaced it with a tamiya DF-02 which cost less, and since mine has been through hell, and back(seriously the DF-02 is probably one of my favorite RC's) with less parts breakage then the Brama had from the 5 minutes before its chassis snapped in half twice (as I replaced it once due to thinking maybe it was just a defective chassis) due to the brushed power on cement(no jumps literally was driving it on flat concrete).
Now as to why I got it that was cause at the time I was a HPI fanboy as till that point I only owned HPI nitro RC's like the RS4 Nitro MT1, and a Savage X (the savage line IMO is one of HPI's best RC's made) so I ventured into something I had no knowledge of, I did ask about it, but no one on the forums at that time had one, and I found no real reviews on the net.

To the op sounds like you are set
Old 06-21-2013, 07:58 PM
DieHarder

Good. Glad we got that straightened out. I realize that you still don't agree with me, but hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Friends?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.