Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Motor smoked

Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 AM
keebler13579

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor smoked

Just got exceed infinity ep brushless electric truck. The third time I took it out didn't get the battery run down before the shaft going on rf wheel messed up and I didn't have the tools to fix. I had only been playing with it about 10 minutes. I turned everything off but left the battery plugged in when I put it back in the box. I got it fixed last night and took it out again this morning to run it till batteries went dead. I was running it on a gravel lot today. After a few minutes it stopped and I walked over and saw a little bit of smoke and the motor smelled burnt. It is stock out of the box with the leopard hobbies motor. What could have caused the motor to smoke? It came with 8.4v 3000 mah ni-mh battery. Any idea what went wrong is it ok to run on gravel? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:04 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Motor smoked

I wouldn't think running on gravel would have put any kind of undue strain on it.  But, it's possible that a piece of gravel got caught in one of the drive wheels, causing drag, and that might have over-heated the motor.

In any case, it should still be under warranty, so contact the place you bought it, and get a new motor.

I also strongly suggest you get an IR thermometer and use it to monitor your motor temp while running. It will tell you if the truck is over-geared, which is another possibility. A brushless motor should never get over 180 degrees.  Keeping it under 160 will prevent damage. Nominal running temps are under 150.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:29 AM
keebler13579

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the response will call and check on warranty 

Old 06-21-2013, 01:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck dealing with exceed as they are notorious for terrible customer service.

Sure it was the motor and not ESC that the smell was coming from?
Cause if you left a battery plugged into an ESC you could have damaged that as they will over heat cause the power is never really off to them unless its unplugged.