Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Picking a 2nd electric RC

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 02:33 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Picking a 2nd electric RC

As the title says im looking to get myself a 2nd electric rc. i have a Jammin crt.5 converted brushless atm and ive put a ton of money into but in the end it is a 1/12th scale car

so im looking at 2 differant cars atm max budget is about 500 tho less would be perfered .
now i know these are differant scales and not apples to apples. but these are both on my to get list im just having a hard to to what to pick first. i only bash no racing and to nip it in the butt before someone says it that 1/8th is stronger then 1/10th. ive beat my crt.5 and my firestorm 10t rather hard and very had anything break that wasn't user error. so i guess im saying i dont see how 1/8 would be any stronger the way i drive

now to the cars im only looking to order off towerhobbies because of coupons

#1 OFNA LX2E ARR. for the components i was thinking
Motor/esc. duratrax 2200kv combo+program card
servo. hitec 5645
RX. futaba r203gf

i do know that the duratrax esc is a hobbyking 120a and its only 4s. but i only use 2s lipos for 4s running and dont see myself anytime soon buying 3s for 6s running. ive been very happy with my crt.5 on 2s with no desire for 3s

#2 Traxxas Slash 4X4 platinum with
RX. futaba r203gf
cooling fan for the ESC and all the RPM parts

i'm leaning towards the slash because id not have to run my batterys in series like the buggy would so id get more run time for the lipos i have. but buggys just look so cool lol

Old 06-28-2013, 03:07 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Picking a 2nd electric RC

Personally I'd go with the ofna, and just buy another charger, and 2 more batteries with the money you save over the cost of the slash, and all the parts it will need
Old 06-28-2013, 03:11 PM
echthelion

theres realy no price differance
Old 06-28-2013, 03:15 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: echthelion

bleh was thinking the RTR's price
Well if you plan on offroad I'd say the buggy as the slash will need either the upgraded sliders, or a dogbone conversion as the stock sliders are not that good, also if going through grass prolly a motor, and esc upgrade IMO as when I had a 60A in mine it got hot as hell conservatively geared.

The slash isn't a bad RC, its a tad over priced for what you get, but I'd take an OFNA 1/8th scale buggy any day over one.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 PM
echthelion

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

bleh was thinking the RTR's price
Well if you plan on offroad I'd say the buggy as the slash will need either the upgraded sliders, or a dogbone conversion as the stock sliders are not that good, also if going through grass prolly a motor, and esc upgrade IMO as when I had a 60A in mine it got hot as hell conservatively geared.

The slash isn't a bad RC, its a tad over priced for what you get, but I'd take an OFNA 1/8th scale buggy any day over one.
i have a new castle sidewinder esc sitting around they seem fine in grass. my crt.5 has a hpi branded sidewinder that ive been using for a good long time that ive driven thru good 4 inch grass for 2 packs chasing kids at the park with no heat problems with the body on

i dunno the platium seems fair to me when comparing to the other brand hpi/ae with all the stuff it has. but of course when you look at ofna pricing everything is over priced lol

Edit- forgot to say with the crt.5 thats with SC tires lol

Old 06-28-2013, 04:19 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got a slash 4x4 last week.
I put some stampede 4x4 tires on it, as I wanted a 4wd monster truck that would run just 1 battery.

Only thing is, it actually handles too well for a monster truck. But a better set of 2.2 MT tires should change that.

I will say this, it is not as fast on a 2s lipo as I would like. Even tho it is running the gearing meant for the SCT tires and has the slightly taller stampede tires it is still a bit slow IMO. I was expecting 40mph, but it is more like 35mph.

The buggy running 4s should do 40mph no problem...probly more.

You could either get some 3s or 4s lipo packs so you would only have to run 1 pack....but that would mean more cost.

From seeing the ofna 1st hand (guy at the track has one) I don't doubt that the ofna will hold up better. Its simply built tougher. No silly plastic driveshafts for one thing. If you wanna drive the slash on 3s, plan on buying metal driveshafts for sure (another $100 right there)
Old 06-28-2013, 04:41 PM
echthelion

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

I put some stampede 4x4 tires on it, as I wanted a 4wd monster truck that would run just 1 battery.

Only thing is, it actually handles too well for a monster truck. But a better set of 2.2 MT tires should change that.

I will say this, it is not as fast on a 2s lipo as I would like. Even tho it is running the gearing meant for the SCT tires and has the slightly taller stampede tires it is still a bit slow IMO. I was expecting 40mph, but it is more like 35mph.

You could either get some 3s or 4s lipo packs so you would only have to run 1 pack....but that would mean more cost.

From seeing the ofna 1st hand (guy at the track has one) I don't doubt that the ofna will hold up better. Its simply built tougher. No silly plastic driveshafts for one thing. If you wanna drive the slash on 3s, plan on buying metal driveshafts for sure (another $100 right there)
yeah i realy dont wanna buy any more lipos atm, i do have 2 chargers its not the chargeing time i care about its that with 2s if a cell fails not out much money imo with a 4-6s lipos i just dont like the idea of if 1 cell go's bad your battery is toast with the amount they cost. my crt.5 is just over 35mph im running a 14t pinion with the castle 3800kv motor and im rather happy with its speed in dirt and grass

Old 06-28-2013, 04:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

yeah i realy dont wanna buy any more lipos atm, i do have 2 chargers its not the chargeing time i care about its that with 2s if a cell fails not out much money imo with a 4-6s lipos i just dont like the idea of if 1 cell go's bad your battery is toast with the amount they cost
the "amount they cost" depends on where you buy them. all of my 2s 5000mah packs were $25-$30 from hobbypartz.com. The more expensive being hardcased ones. I think they have 4s for around $50.

The slash is the route to go if you wanna run 1 pack (cheaper pack I mean)
Might wanna look into the ofna 4wd SCT tho. It looks much tougher than the slash 4x4. Ive seen rollers for around $125-$150. Even tho I bought the slash 4x4, I don't think it is the best value for money. Tho, I got the basic model and it was $365 shipped from tower hobbies, which isn't bad.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:59 PM
echthelion

not sure when is the last time you priced happypartz lipos lol. excluding the length my crt.5 it is the ofna SCT saying that tho i do want a real SCT just dont wanna a longer version of my crt.5

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...se-direct.html

Old 06-28-2013, 06:20 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

not sure when is the last time you priced happypartz lipos lol. excluding the length my crt.5 it is the ofna SCT saying that tho i do want a real SCT just dont wanna a longer version of my crt.5

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...se-direct.html

made a longer version with the chassis off the scrt10, and threw a 1/8th scale buggy body on it with 1/8th scale buggy rims
I call it the ghetto 1/8th scale buggy
Old 06-28-2013, 06:29 PM
echthelion

yeah i saw pics very cool, oh this is alittle off my topic but the battery tray parts tree every part is ment for the crt.5 conversion because i remember u asking about those spacers. like the little rectangle piece with the raised square on it is a flywheel plug on the chassis and the battery holder hold it in place
Old 06-28-2013, 08:28 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

yeah i saw pics very cool, oh this is alittle off my topic but the battery tray parts tree every part is ment for the crt.5 conversion because i remember u asking about those spacers. like the little rectangle piece with the raised square on it is a flywheel plug on the chassis and the battery holder hold it in place
Yea found that out a while back.
No biggie I'm sure my battery is held in way better seeing its box goes straight into the chassis

I wonder why ofna didn't sell the crt .5 with an E conversion kit to make some cash. They seem to have squandered a simple cash in.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 PM
echthelion

to lazy to import it i guess because hong nor did make a nitro version with the PBS pre installed and they make a conversion kit

http://www.hongnor-racing.com/pdt_vi...area=90&sn=281

http://www.hongnor-racing.com/search...MS-34&x=6&y=11
Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

that motor mount looks like crap glad they didn't bring that out here as a kit(I think I seen that mount somewhere though as an option)
Old 06-28-2013, 09:24 PM
echthelion

yeah http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...pe-Motor-Mount seems nice tho if you change gearing alot
Old 07-01-2013, 03:30 PM
echthelion

well after more thought i think imma go with the lx2e now its picking some tires anyone know if these are any good? http://www.ebay.com/itm/200876493816...84.m1423.l2649