Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Going over to the Dark Side...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 06:55 AM
Jason Riley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going over to the Dark Side...

I've got a bit of experience driving 1/8th scale buggies and am looking to get into 1/10th scale TC's. I want something with pretty hot performance and have been thinking along the lines of a TC3, but what motor/ESC choices should I make ?

Speaking of motors, can someone explain to me what Stock Vs. Modified is all about ? Also, fewer turns = more performance ?

If I went with a TC3 or HPI or whatever, are there limitations to my choice of motor/ESC ?

Many thanks in advance for all the help guys [:-]
Old 09-23-2003, 08:56 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Going over to the Dark Side...

There are no limitations, but if you want to enter the hotside, TC3 and HPI are definately NOT the correct choice. THey are way to brittle for racing IMO and experience. (not owning, but watching at the LRT) fronts on them love to snap. Anyways, I'd look at brands like the Baracuda, Corally, Tamiya EVO3 (most expensive but RCCA said you get what you pay for, 420$ for the kit!!!!) thats tamiya for ya anyways, the list of top quality is there, just depends what you want. Do you prefer shaft or belt driven? tell me what you want, i can help
Old 09-23-2003, 10:06 AM
Jason Riley

I'm after something that will give me the on-road equivalent of performance my 1/8th scale buggy gives me on the dirt. I'm not a full-on serious racer, but tend to lean in that direction even when tooling around, and would characterise myself as semi-serious. I know this sounds vague.

Part of the problem is I don't fully understand electrics, whereas I'm very conversant with nitro engines (I've only been driving about 5 months, but have about 23yrs in model planes).

Many thanks.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:26 AM
Bigpimphustler

There are many many TCs to choose from, some are marketed towards racing/competing, and some are only good for bashing. HPI = bashing. You don't really see any competative HPI cars on the track (at least here in socal). The TC3 is a totally decent car, but nowhere near the best in my opinion. The one major advantage to teh TC3, is the ease of getting replacement parts.

If you wanted my list of competative touring cars, they would be:

Schumacher Mission (my personal favorite)
Losi xxx-s Graphite
X-ray evo2
Corally Assasin

As you can see, I am biased towards the belt driven cars
Old 09-23-2003, 12:12 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

I agree on all those except the Losi XXX-S, I'm just not a fan of the tray style / built style of it... To similiar to the TC3 IMO (yes i know shaft vs belt) anyways, I'd also include the baracuda and the Evo 3 for you to look at. And if your going to be racing, you might want to check if it comes with a 1 way Im not positive but alot of higher end ETC's have 1 way for racing.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:22 PM
Jason Riley

Thanks for the help guys. Now that I've got a better idea of what chassis to look for, can someone explain stock vs. modified for me ?

Many thanks again.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:45 AM
Bigpimphustler

Stock motor = 27turn 24degrees non-modifyable motor
Mod motor = any turn, any timing, bearings, mods, dont matter.

The lower the turns, the faster the motor.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:53 AM
Jason Riley

Many thanks Bigpimphustler. With lower # of turns giving a faster motor, I'm guessing there is greater need for increased battery capacity ? I.e. wouldn't a faster motor flatten the battery pack sooner?

Are there any "standards" as far as modified motors go ? By that I mean are there any prefered makes/models of motor for specific applications? Based on what you've said so far, I would expect some tracks are more suited to faster motors while some are more suited to motors with better bottom-end (torque).

Many thanks once again guys
Old 09-24-2003, 12:54 PM
Bigpimphustler

Mod motors will draw more amps, draining and heating your cells at a much faster rate.

If you are racing, you need to figure out what class you want to race in, then make your purchases accordingly. I personally race in my local stock class, so I race with all stock motors (Trinity monster pros exclusivly). If you are going to race in the mod class, you will be up against some serious pro-level competition. Most of the guys at my local track here, which is a pretty small tight track, run 8X1 or 9X1 motors. 8 or 9 turn single motors are balistically fast. Don't forget, you can't run a motor that is hotter then your speed controlers limit. Some have a limit of 15 or more turns, some are unlimited (like mine).

You don't want to toast your esc!