Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ESC Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 06:26 PM
ndrvng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC Question

How hot should an ESC get after a run? I put a newly purchased, recently charged 3000mah pack through my car. I've soldered some silver connectors to the leads off the ESC, and another set of connectors are soldered to the motor (so I can switch out motors if I desire). The motor itself was warm, and the comm end was a bit hot - I should probably add a drop or two of oil. The battery pack was lukewarm, as expected, but the ESC was too hot to keep a finger on for more than a second or two. It's an MC210CB (standard esc from an older futaba am radio package), but it should be able to handle a stock motor like I've got.

Am I being paranoid? I don't like all my juice going to heat like that. More to the wheels!

I suppose I should check the connectors for corrosion, but if that's where the resistance was, I expect the housing would have gotten hot / melted.

Is my ESC:
a) fine - I'm just being silly
b) not quite up to the task and needs replacing
c) somehow damaged (and needs replacing), but should normally have been able to handle the situation?

If it does need replacing, what are suggestions for a new one?

Thanks for the input, and for tolerating my newbie questions.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:00 AM
Jarc-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: ESC Question

What kind of motor is it? Stock. mild mod , or a hot motor? . Some ESc'c have a limit to the # turns the motor can have.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:58 PM
Bigpimphustler

Default RE: ESC Question

but it should be able to handle a stock motor like I've got.
he is running a stock motor clearly.

Your answer is somewhere between a) and b).. Likely it isn't a very nice ESC, so it has to work semi-hard even to push the stock motor. Technically speaking, your ESC shouldn't be hot at all, rather warm. Your motor on the other hand can get fairly hot, and be just fine. Make sure you clean your motor every couple runs at least, and make sure you re-oil the bushings after EVERY run.