Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

newb really needing help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 06:23 PM
swiss82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb really needing help

I am a complete newb as I have not run rc in 20 years. I have the urge to get back into it. A local seller is selling some of his gear.
Im not thinking I will really ever go race at an official track. Ill probably run in the neighborhood on grass, gravel driveway, empty sand lot...want to jump stuff and want it to be durable
Seller is selling a traxxas slash 4x4 with upgrades
traxxas stampede w upgrades
Team associated rc18r w upgrades
Loci 1/18 monster truck. which is stock
I do not know the prices yet. But one of my main questions: which style do I want for the kind of driving I described? I know the slash is more of a buggy style, how will that do on soft dirt? Ive seen vids of it on hard dirt and it is awesome?
Or do I want something more truck style like the stampede?
And I really, really dont know anything about the other 2 mentioned...
Any help is appreciated
Old 07-21-2013, 06:31 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: newb really needing help

The slash is a short course platform; not like a buggy. For the soft dirt a 4wd rc would work better, so i'd go for it.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:04 AM
swiss82

when you say the slash is a short course platform, are you saying it would be good for loose dirt and some grass and to bash around a little? What is the difference between that and a buggy?
Thanks!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:16 AM
swiss82

also, would the stampede not be good for that?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 AM
collector1231

A short course truck (Slash 4x4);
Buggy (Team Associated B4.1)
The Stampede is crap for jumping. Its too high up with a small wheelbase. The slash is made for exactly what you want. Plus, you should never run an rc in grass. Ever. It will kill the motor and make it as hot as heck.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:05 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I disagree... I run all my RC cars in grass...

Yes some cars have problems on thicker grass, but generally speaking u won't have any problems running a RTR offroad vehicle on grass. If u are really worries, check temps and playground with heat sinks and fans then gearing.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:01 PM
collector1231

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I disagree... I run all my RC cars in grass...

Yes some cars have problems on thicker grass, but generally speaking u won't have any problems running a RTR offroad vehicle on grass. If u are really worries, check temps and playground with heat sinks and fans then gearing.
Many manufacturers say not to run RCs in grass at all. I do, somewhat, disagree. If its flat grass, then go for it. If its high pile, then don't. You can also kill the motor real fast. Trust me. I killed a Mabuchi that came with my Lunchbox while running through grass.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 AM
swiss82

Ok, so here is the deal. the guy selling all of his gear does not want to sell the slash 4x4 by itself. I am a newb, so I do not know about all of this stuff to know how good of a deal it is if I purchase the whole lot, then sell off anything not related to the slash...

what do you guys think? being new to RC, I don't have time, or money to put into several trucks like this guy is selling. But I'm wondering it its such a good deal that it may be worth buying the whole lot and keeping all slash related (like extra motors, tires, lips) and selling everything else. If i sell anything not slash related, how much is this stuff worth?
Here is everything he is selling, please take a look and tell me what you think and would anything non slash related be an easy sell on a forum or ebay? (I don't even know what half of this stuff is!)

I have a lot of electric RC cars/trucks plus many hop ups! This sale is for the entire lot of items. I'd rather not split it up.
Traxxas Slash 4x4: 2.4g Many hop ups and an extra freshly rebuilt Traxxas Velenion motor. Has stock wheels, Proline Calibre (soft) mounted on wheels, J Concepts Goose Bumps (Green Compound) mounted on wheels.
Traxxas Stampede: 2.4g Team Orion Pro 2 Experience ESC and Motor, Brand new wheels and tires with extra set, Brand new Raptor body and Old School Body, too many hop ups to list.
Losi 1/18 Monster truck: Stock everything. 2.4g
Team Associated RC18R: 2.4g Castle Creations Mamba Micro makes this thing fast as hell! Has extra body, buggy tires and foam tires.
Extras:
RC18b: buggy needs tlc, but has all of the parts!
Tools: Team Integy hex wrenches and all Traxxas tools
Charger: Duratrax Onyx 230: 10 bank memory for LiPo, NiMh, NiCd, etc + balancer for Lipo batteries.
Batteries: LiPo's;Duratrax 4000 Mah, 2 cell, 25C
Venom; 4000 Mah, 3 cell
Team Trinity; 4000 Mah, 2 cell, 25 C
SMC; 5000 Mah, 2 cell, 20 C
Turnigy; 5000 Mah, 2 cell, 40-50C (qty=2)
SMC; 1650 Mah (for 18th scale), (qty=2)
Parts: Castle Creations Mamba Max 6900k brushless motor, Velineon brushless motor, (2) Traxxas XL-5 ESC's, (1) Traxxas XL-10 ESC, A ton of shocks, extra Traxxas Rustler
with all parts ready to be assembled.
Misc: Team Trinity Monster truck Bag
First $600.00 takes all!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:10 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't have anything assuming all the stuff works that's not a bad price.

The stampede I think goes for around $120ish last I looked (on ebay used which will be the same with most the prices I say)

The RC18's new are only like $150 so used expect quite a bit less(although sometimes they sell for stupid amounts on ebay)

The traxxas ESC's are like $40 a pop

The rustler that he claims has all the parts there but needs assembly is around $125 too

So in all honesty if you try you could potentially make over half the cash back just selling the Stampede, rustler, and spare Traxxas ESC's alone.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 AM
swiss82

how about that losi 1/18?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:56 AM
poncharello420

ORIGINAL: swiss82

I can't speak specifically to the Losi 1/18th because I don't have one, but I have a slightly hopped up 18T2 and if you want to run on grass or gravel, I would not recommend getting an 1/18th scale. The ground clearance is really low and unless the gravel is really fine, you won't be able to open up the throttle at all on it without flipping it over every ten feet or so. In terms of grass, I wouldn't even try running a 1/18th scale on it unless it is cut to roughly the same length as a well manicured fairway on a golf course because of clearance issues and motor heat. Ilive in a pretty densely packed neighborhood and think the 1/18th scale is fine for me since there are some parking lots nearby that are kind of beaten up where I can get air in a few spots, but if you have a lot of space, I would suggest a 1/10th scale.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: poncharello420

ORIGINAL: swiss82

I can't speak specifically to the Losi 1/18th because I don't have one, but I have a slightly hopped up 18T2 and if you want to run on grass or gravel, I would not recommend getting an 1/18th scale. The ground clearance is really low and unless the gravel is really fine, you won't be able to open up the throttle at all on it without flipping it over every ten feet or so. In terms of grass, I wouldn't even try running a 1/18th scale on it unless it is cut to roughly the same length as a well manicured fairway on a golf course because of clearance issues and motor heat. I live in a pretty densely packed neighborhood and think the 1/18th scale is fine for me since there are some parking lots nearby that are kind of beaten up where I can get air in a few spots, but if you have a lot of space, I would suggest a 1/10th scale.
Never had an issue with my 1/18ths on grass well if its like 1.5 inches+ yea it starts becoming and issue.

But anyways I think he means how much is it worth
If its the mini LST new they are about $200 so I'd guess 2nd hand they are like $100ish or so. That is just a guess btw.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:56 AM
swiss82

well, if i get him to split up the whole lot, he wants $300 for the 
Slash 4x4
2 2 cell lipo 5000 may, 40-50c
1 3 cell lipo 4000, 20c
extra velineon brushless motor (in addition to the brushless already in the truck)
2 complete extra set of wheels and tires
RPM suspension arms
STRC alumium shocks
remote control

-No charger

What do you guys think? I new to this so not wanting to spend too much on my first truck as I will also have to buy a charger....so $300 plus charger

Another Used option from a different seller is a Blitz with a Brushless motor:
Needs a battery. 
Bunch of extra stickers from original purchase included.
Motor is programmable to your specifications. 
Throwing in original motor that came with it.
Controller included.
Seller wants $150.... What do you think? Its 2wd not 4x4 like the slash above...

3rd option: 
I know its not in the same league quality wise as a slash, but how about a brand new ECX Torment, they are only like $150 new, of course its brushed and not lipo...

Please advise on these 3 options

Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

If you are going the $150 route I'd take the blitz over the ECX as the blitz is one of the better 2wd SCT's. Its an ok deal just be advised you will need at bare minimum like $70 for a charger, and battery. But the original ESC, and motor as he said they are included if they work you could probably make $20-30 off of on ebay. Hell without electronics Blitz's go for around $130.

If hes selling the slash for $300... Personally I wouldn't touch it at that price. It would be a better deal for that package at $600, and sell off the other 2 traxxas RC's to try and recoup $300, and have a few extra RC's along with chargers, and such(dunno I found having 1 RC kinda boring when I started I like variety, and now own like 20(with another on its way)). Only bonus to the slash 4X4 is if you get sick of it you can always make it into a 4wd MT easily(like I did ).

4wd is better then 2wd on grass, and offroad also easier to control. Its all up to you and what you think you will find fun.

Now as you are new it all depends that $600 bundle assuming everything works is a very decent price which if you decide to quit the hobby(a lot of people do) you should be able to recoup all the cash you put out(and then some). The slash at $300 alone is not a bad price when factoring the extras. The Blitz is about right for the price.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:20 PM
swiss82

Thanks!
The guy sold the whole lot that included the 4x4 slash... so I'm kind of starting over looking at 4x2 slash or a rustler...

I just found someone selling a Jammin scrt10 4x4. he says it is rtr and comes with 3 new gen ace 7.4 40c Lipo batteries. he did not say anything about the motor.... if its running Lipos does that always mean its brushless?
also comes with body, controller and some extra parts...
Edit, just talked to the seller, and he does not know what motor is in it, but it is stock he said....

I can't find much info on this truck compared to the slash....

is this a good truck? what would be a good used price in good condition (no charger included)

Old 07-31-2013, 06:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Good truck only issue is its discontinued in the US.
Its based off the Jammin CRT.5 which I own 2 of (seriously only differences is the shock towers/body mounts, tires, and chassis length) only complaint I had on them is the C-hubs sucked which STRC sells aluminum ones for $25 if I remember right.

I also just got a new Nexx 10SC (delivered last friday) which essentially is the same exact truck as the jammin, except it has different front suspension. Paid $99 for it from the maker as they were on clearance as they just were discontinued

One thing I think that trucks RTR was brushed if I remember right.
Price wise... $150 IMO would be fair (just cause the batteries I went that high) if its in pretty good shape
Worst comes to worst a BL setup that would work fine in that RC is around $80 as it uses 1/10th scale electronics. and a charger is like $45
Old 08-01-2013, 04:44 PM
swiss82

thanks, $150 is exactly what he wants for it. he is stating that the 3 batteries alone are worth $100-150....so it seems like it may be a good deal; considering it is the whole rtr kit.??? I just wish it was already brushless...

so should i jump on it for that price?
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Its based off the Jammin CRT.5 which I own 2 of (seriously only differences is the shock towers/body mounts, tires, and chassis length) only complaint I had on them is the C-hubs sucked which STRC sells aluminum ones for $25 if I remember right.

I also just got a new Nexx 10SC (delivered last friday) which essentially is the same exact truck as the jammin, except it has different front suspension. Paid $99 for it from the maker as they were on clearance as they just were discontinued

Price wise... $150 IMO would be fair (just cause the batteries I went that high) if its in pretty good shape
Worst comes to worst a BL setup that would work fine in that RC is around $80 as it uses 1/10th scale electronics. and a charger is like $45
Old 08-01-2013, 05:11 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Well to be fair the batteries would be about $120 I think (if you can find em in stock) new

I will say if you need parts you will have to go to ofna warehouse's site, or ebay though.

Like I said if its in good shape $150 is a decent price.

I probably would grab it if I saw it
Old 08-01-2013, 05:38 PM
collector1231

When I saw the third line of text, i broke into tears. I am crying so hard right now.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:04 PM
swiss82

Well to be fair the batteries would be about $120 I think (if you can find em in stock) new

I will say if you need parts you will have to go to ofna warehouse's site, or ebay though.

Like I said if its in good shape $150 is a decent price.

I probably would grab it if I saw it
Can parts be used from other trucks?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Yes just the trucks that share its parts were Discontinued too. Crt.5 share MANY of the parts, and the Nexx10SC (like I just got) shares everything but the front A-arms,and knuckle.
The part supply is good though even though its discontinued as the nexx10 was literally was just discontinued. I also think its a current model in Asia, and Europe. Its just the US distributor decided to stop importing the model.

Just note I've had my one around 3 years, and till I went overboard, and made it a buggy I only broke a C-hub, and steering knuckle. After I made it a buggy I broke an a-arm, and steering bell crank when I clipped a brick (wouldn't have happened if I had a truck bumper on it though)

Old 08-08-2013, 04:46 PM
swiss82

Ok, new question.
Someone is selling a Vaterra Twin Hammers...
I know it is 1/10 scale, and it is part rock climber, and part ____ what kind of truck (sc, or buggy or???)

it looks pretty cool. any thoughts on it? I know the stock motor is brushed (and I'm assuming he still has stock motor in it) but it comes with a Lipo battery, and he said he bought a second one... REading a review online, it looks like they are saying it only had like 9 minutes of run time with the stock lipo...which does not sound like much...
being a noob, to increase run time, does it just need a bigger battery, or would a brushless motor increase run time?
Assuming people do put brushless motors in these?

looks like the RTR package runs about 400 new. so what would be a decent price for a lightly used (he says 4 times) with an extra battery one be?
For what I am looking for, is this even something i should consider?