Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New Guy. Trying to figure out what I have

Old 08-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Theschneid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy. Trying to figure out what I have

Hi my names Zac. I have had this stuff for about 16 years but really never got into it but now I do want to get into it. I'm 30 and got a family and want something as hobby and have fun with but I have no idea what I have. I'm going post some pics if people can help me I'd greatly appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	1913062   Click image for larger version

Views:	109
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	1913063   Click image for larger version

Views:	66
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	1913064   Click image for larger version

Views:	73
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	1913065   Click image for larger version

Views:	60
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	1913066   Click image for larger version

Views:	56
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	1913067   Click image for larger version

Views:	65
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	1913068   Click image for larger version

Views:	54
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	1913069  

Click image for larger version

Views:	62
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1913070  
Old 08-25-2013, 02:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Futaba FX10

Getting parts for that would be a pain in the ass

And some bits and pieces of other stuff it looks like, nothing I could recognize(hell doubt I would as the RC is old as hell only recognize it cause someone asked a while back about one like you )

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 08-25-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Theschneid

Like I said I dug it out today never knew what I had and wanted to a get a real answer before I take it to the hobby shop and get some helping getting it running. i might just look into buying a new one. I just want to have some fun. I remember it was so fun when I did it when I was younger but I was getting into high school and partying came first lol. I might just rebuild it one day when I'm bored lol. Thanks for the help. I don't know about all these engines I have either.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:24 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are brushed motors now a days they are kinda used in either low end RC's, or rock crawlers. Most RC's went to brushless motors which require way less maintenance, and offer superior torque. Truthfully finding an ESC to used brushed motors is kinda hard as there are only a hand full I can even think of(that are not 100% crap that is there are tons of crappy ones).

Honestly a hobby shop probably won't have parts to get it going. What you will need at minimum are batteries, and probably a decent charger (don't buy the charger at a hobby shop you can get good ones for $50 online, where a hobby shop will charge you almost $100)

Looking wow that thing even uses a MSC which is the precursor to the ESC... sheesh that is old
Personally I'd set it on a shelf as a display piece.
Trust me stuff has come a LONG way since that sucker

http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid those are probably the cheapest somewhat decent RC's they sell now.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Theschneid

Thanks so much. Well what actually got me thinking about rc cars is airsoft guns. I know weird. Lol i was at my friends shooting airsoft so I came home and looked them up and saw rc cars and now I'm here. If I'm going to spend that much I would rather have fun instead of shooting targets. If I'm going to buy one I'm going to buy a good rc car and something I can mod. You never know I might get into racing since we have a race track close. I'm getting older and a family so I can't go to the bar so I have to find a hobby other than project cars. I'm studying and reading forums on which ones are good and bad. I remember traxxas and team associated the most from 16 years ago. I'm happy I found this forum.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:57 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wonder what its worth fully restored?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome old car.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:39 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been a long time since I've seen a mechanical speed control. I noticed the Airtronic receiver in a Futaba F10. Someone did some modifying.

Actually there are still quite a few brushed ESC's on the market. Traxxas, the largest RC car manufacturer has a lot of them. The Rustler, Stampede and the Slash. All of them come either Brushed or Brushless. The Rustler comes in Nitro also. You can usually find a new one starting at $324.00 RTR. The brushless Velinium motors and ESC's are about $75.00 higher.

It would cheaper just to buy a new car.

Frank
Old 08-26-2013, 07:03 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

For 16 years old that looks pretty good. Get a new battery (6 cell NiCd from some online place like Batteries America) and then run the heck out of it.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Theschneid

Thanks guys for all the help I believe what I'm going to do is restore this in my free time since it is so hard to get parts.

I believe I'm just going to get a ready to run so I can fun for now. The one I keep picking is Team Associated 1/10 SC10 KMC Wheels RTR NiMH Combo.

I believe eventually I will get more into the sport and this seems like a great one to upgrade. I might bash it until it breaks and go all out.

I have a track close so I figure if I want to get into it then I'm picking the right one. It isn't brushless but hey the price isn't expensive and I can pick what I want after I have fun with it.

Is this a good idea or not?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SC10 is a fantastic choice, believe it will make you very happy.

Hope you keep us informed on the FX10
Old 08-28-2013, 04:43 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

id pull the motor plugs off and put the leads to a battery to see if the motor runs and the trans moves the wheels.
If it does, Id put batts in the radio and a battery in the buggy and go. Only part that appears to need some attention is the mechanical speed control. the metal contact points may need some cleaning.
What would be easier is buying a used traxxas xl5 esc off ebay. I get them often for $25-$35 shipped. That will plug into the battery and receiver easy. You would only have to figure out a way to mount it to the chassis...I use sticky-back Velcro.
Judging from the overall shape I see no reason it wont run.
That said, it wont be very fast (maybe 20mph) and wont handle well. That's just how rc's were from that time period. That's not saying they are not fun to run. But they do tend to look better on a shelf then they do on a race track

I have 2 sc10's. tough trucks. good as bashers and a race trucks. Can be used on pavement, packed or loose dirt or short grass. good all-around basher.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:56 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like others have said you have a Futaba FX10. Contrary to what others have said parts are still really easy to find. I'm Getting ready to start restoring an FX10 of my own. I bought what looked to be a rough car . Turned out to be mostly dirt and dust. The car is in really nice shape. Finding the few missing pieces was actually very easy.

These days I'm more into finding that old RC, restoring it and putting back out there forsale for someone else to enjoy. My personal collection has out grown the space I have to keep them so the only way I can keep new cars moving through my house is to buy, restore and sell.

I'm thinking of doing a restoration thread on my old FX10. Will Keep you posted.

Last edited by john01374; 09-28-2013 at 07:53 AM.