Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slash 4x4 cleaning/lubing

Old 12-05-2013, 10:42 AM
B192734

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slash 4x4 cleaning/lubing

Good morning everyone. I was wondering what everyone out there used for cleaning/lubing their Slash 4x4's. Or any other off road truck for that matter, really.

Thanks, and have a great day!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Eman77

What I do is take the vehicle apart (including diffs), and just use water and a scrub brush on the non electronic stuff (but being careful not to get water into places you don't want, like if you aren't taking the diffs apart, etc).

Anyway, with old rags and hot water I clean it really well, rebuild diffs and shocks, dry, and put it all back. Check for failed (gritty) bearings, replace if needed. Sometimes I'll use simple green to get gunk out of places, but you don't necessarily want that getting into places that are supposed to be greased (maybe not bearings even).

I tend to really clean them rarely, so I do a thorough job at that time.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:00 PM
B192734

I don't normally clean mine often either. Mainly just a quick rinse and let it be. I did a bunch of beating around on the sand, and by extension salty water a bit ago. I tore the wholetruck apart to rinse the salt off and get any left over sand out. I also broke shocks and mounts that same trip. I had some cash flow issues, and hadn't replaced them or even put it back together. So I figured that I have the cash for replacements/upgrades now, and was wondering what to use.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran mine (Stampede 4x4) in wet grass and sand the other day. Sand is EVERYWHERE. I don't really like the rinse approach, as the 3500 motor is not that well sealed.

Getting sand out from under that drive shaft cover is going to be a bear. What were they THINKING when they left the front of that tunnel open in the front. >
Old 12-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Eman77

I've found that if you run in sand or fine dirt (think baseball infield), that crap gets everywhere, even with a "sealed" design/cover over the center shaft/belts/whatever. The fine stuff gets all over. It's fun, but it's a freaking mess.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
FahrtAutoRC

For bashers I'd pull the electronics and shoot the whole thing down with WD40, brush heavy deposits of stuff, and then hit it with compressed air. For racers I'd strip the whole thing down screw for screw and clean, check, replace worn parts and reassemble.