Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

best sc tyre and foam insert for use on mainly grass and pavement

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

best sc tyre and foam insert for use on mainly grass and pavement

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:45 AM
filly.bluntz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best sc tyre and foam insert for use on mainly grass and pavement

Hi all

I currently have a hobao hyper 10tt and wanted to know what would be the best tyres and insert for general messing around in local park and on my street. I'm not a racer or a hard core basher. However I will be jumping and stuff so I need a tyres that will last fairly long and will grip on in most surfaces could anyone recommend a brand or certain tyres that will give me the grip that I desire. I would prefer un-mounted tyres.

On another note what is the best method to reduce or stop tyres ballooning all together on YouTube someone on there is using Kevlar and wraps around tyres not sure how effective that method is. Or there. Gaffe tape method which I have had no luck with tyres they still balloons like I did not put any gaffe tape on it.

Any info would be much appreciated many thanks

Filly
Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 AM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have proline dirt hawgs and they do awesome they come with a foam insert that ive noticed is perfect on pavement.
Thet dont slide very much even when im on my driveway which is all dirt/sand and gravel as well as my fromt yard. And they allow my tornado to go anywhere i put it.
Hope this helps!
P.s. The tires can be glued onto a wheel but i have bead locks so those are awesome.
As far as balloning all tires do it a little the dirt hawgs with the stock foams dont allow a great deal of ballon however balloning is still noticable.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:12 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a tough question. On grass u want spiky wheels and on hard surfaces u don't.

it might be worth worth having a look at some of the Proline all terrain types of tyres
Old 12-12-2013, 09:17 PM
zackS30

Dirt hawgs...
Old 12-12-2013, 11:15 PM
filly.bluntz

Hi all

Thanks for the info however I believe i have some dirt hawgs and imo they are not that great however I will keep looking.

Many thanks

Filly
Old 12-13-2013, 04:14 PM
phmaximus

That's going to be a problem.... Nothing is going to be great on both surfaces... Such a tyre does not exist, because the requirements are just so different. At best a all terrain tyre will be ok... Not great tho.

Because u are running onroad any tyre with my spikes (that would be good on grass) will provide little traction on road and the spikes will wear down very fast.....because of that I would be looking at all terrain or mud tyres. they will have ok traction on road and are a little bit knobby so they will be better than a onroad tyre on grass.

just remember what ever traction u will gain on one u will loose it from the other.... did u want a versatile tyre or did u want it to be better at one than the other?

Could u keep the stock tyres for onroad and get some grass tyres...

bugga the wheels ive been thinking about have been discontinued....Proline Track-Ta-Gator's.... hummmmm don't think im going to sell mine now...

oh well this is what they look like.... these are awesome in grass.... so maby look for something similar?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lpro104500.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1947281  

Last edited by phmaximus; 12-13-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:02 PM
zackS30

Theyre 3 differnt ones. Which one do you.have? My dirt hawgs have grip for days bcuz they are knobby yet have a good contact patch.(i work at a tire shop, 3 years now, so i do know tires)
Old 12-17-2013, 10:30 AM
filly.bluntz

Hi there
Thanks for info I will have to get different tyres for different surfaces. Was looking proline badlands as I see on YouTube that many people use them on different surfaces and they seem to hold up pretty well on, grass, gravel, street and mud so will look into them.

Does anyone know if tapping tyres will increase over all speed of vehicle as on YouTube someone used Kevlar thread instead of duct tape and the rpm was 8.000rpms 51mph without Kevlar thread and 16.000rpm 100mph with Kevlar thread stuck to tyres with flexible glue.

Thanks filly
Old 12-17-2013, 10:27 PM
phmaximus

Yeah don't know about that... I always thought if a tyre was to ballon it would increase its circumference there for increasing speed?

im surprised the gaffer tape dident work for u?? U dident happen to try that on the stock tyres?
Just keep in mind the stock tyres for that truck are super thin and that would explaine excessive ballooning. They are not intended for high speeds... More of a dirt track tyre. Something like the dirt hawgs won't ballon anything like the stock ones. They are a very thick tyre in comparison. Just look at the tread pattern

If u are super worried about ballooning. My thought would be to try some fiberglass drywall tape and some rubber cement.... I've never tried it. But me thinks it would work a treat. Just would need balancing after
Old 12-18-2013, 08:15 AM
filly.bluntz

Thanks phmaximus
For your input the tyres I taped were proline gladiators and they still ballooned out and starting ripping along the side wall of the tyres. Will look in to fibreglass drywall tape.

Thanks fill