Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rookie in need of some pointers

Old 12-16-2013, 06:03 PM
z71kid09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rookie in need of some pointers

I use to run nitro trucks when i was younger and have been out of the hobby for a little while but getting back in. Today i bought a Losi mini eight to try and ease my way into the electric stuff, and just looking for some tips as an tricks as im getting into the electric side. such as batteries and charging, motors, run time, charge time, best controllers set ups, what not to do, etc,
thanks guys
Old 12-21-2013, 05:44 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What do you currently have? for batts & a charger? motor? Maybe we can offer some suggestions knowing what you are starting with.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:49 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This link is a really good place to start: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...ead-first.html
Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charge times you don't have to worry about as the charger takes care of that. Charge RATES are up to you. In general you charge at a "1C rate". For example, if your battery is a 3500mAh Lipo, you'd charge it at 3.5Amps. If the battery is a 5000mAh, a 5Amp charge rate. Note however that you CAN charge that 3500mAh pack at 5 Amps and in most cases would be fine. But potentially could shorten the pack's useable lifetime. I have 5000mAh packs and charge them at 6Amps all the time.

Just be sure to use a LiPo charger if you're running LiPo batteries. That is a must. The other "must" with LiPo's is that when you're done with them, you must "storage charge" them. (The charger will have this function) Storage Charging charges the cells to 3.86V/cell, a "resting voltage" for Lipo cells. Leaving LiPos fully charged or discharged WILL significantly shorten their life. Believe me.

Choices in electronics are myriad.....you can pay a little, or you can pay A LOT. Unless you're racing or crawling, "sensorless" brushless systems are fine, and cheaper. I use the inexpensive electronics that can be had at HobbyPartz.com. The HobbyWing EZrun systems are great. Good inexpensive servos and batteries. Best AC/DC charger: http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html

Keep poking around the forums, lots of good info here.