Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Red face New to the forum but not that new to RC world.

Hey everyone, Ive tried to look for a welcome thread but none found. But quick intro. Names bobby, age 30 and I live in Texas.. So excited to be back in the RC performance hobby again..

Ok so Ive recently got a early christmas gift from my Fiance` since shipping this year is crazy slow. She got me a RedCat Twister XTG Pro. Did some research on it before I picked it out and liked what I saw about it. Came with the new sport style 2.4 Ghz controller/ receiver and the heart of it all, the brushless system. Im not a big fan on the 2000 Ni-mah battery that came with it so I have ordered a 3800 2c Lipo 7.4v. Its on the way in the mail but im wondering if thats going to be good enough for my high speed addiction? Ive seen others doing some pretty beastly batteries on them, what would I need to look out for when thinking about upgrading to those higher grade batteries?
    Last edited by hondacrazy04; 12-18-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Welcome Bobby! Always good to get new people here.

Here is a very good "what you need to know" thread:
    RC Resources for the beginner [Read this first]

Real quick: Good you got a LiPo. NiMhs won't last long on a brushless system. Can't deliver the amps and get too hot. The thing you need to know about you car is if the ESC (and the fan, sometimes the fan cannot) can handle more than 2S LiPo. If so, then a 3S LiPo should get you all the speed you'd ever need and more for a 2wd 1/10th scale RC. I would highly suggest getting an infrared thermometer and monitor your motor and ESC temps. RTR (ready to run) cars tend to be over-geared, so if your motor is getting over 170F, a smaller pinion gear is in order. Normal operating temps should be around 140F or less for the motor and less than 100F for the ESC.

Get this charger: http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html
    Just a schmoe....

thanks for the links, The Thunder Charger seems to have a good price on it for what it can do, redcat wanted 3 times the price for the similar charger setup but with just there name on it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by hondacrazy04 View Post
    thanks for the links, The Thunder Charger seems to have a good price on it for what it can do, redcat wanted 3 times the price for the similar charger setup but with just there name on it
    that's it? HPI wanted like 5X the price for the same charger with their sticker on it
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

insane!! ill need to shop for better prices on batteries too, I dont want to feel robbed for my money by shopping at Uncle sams stores lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yes you do have to shop around, and ask folks here what they like and where they buy. Do NOT be scared off from buying what some people refer to as "cheap Chinese Junk". Some of that "junk" is just as good if not better than more recognizable names. Case in point: HobbyPartz.com. I recently ordered an EXI servo from them for $15. I only got a couple packs thru it when I noticed it wasn't working right. Infant-mortality failure. I contacted them via their preferred method, a website where you can submit "trouble tickets" and told them of my failure. The next day I had a reply, "Very sorry for the inconvenience, sir. We will send out a replacement right away, free of charge. We will send an email when it ships. Note that the email will show typical charges, but be sure, we will not charge you." I got the replacement in four days. Other $15 servos I've gotten from them in the past are still working great. Got both of my brushless motor systems from them (EZrun 35Amp/4300kv WITH programming card) for under $80 each. Still going strong! Whereas a Castle Creations Sidewinder Sv2 system I paid $130 for from my LHS crapped out in three months.
    Just a schmoe....

Ill be sure to keep hobbypartz.com in mind for my parts. thats good to know a company keeps there rep by doing things like that. Ill be sure to take any input necessary for all parts, especially the batteries.. Thanks for the advice