Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

HSP XSTR opinions for solid 4wd basher

I am currently looking for a replacement for my Kyosho Turbo Optima and came across the HSP XSTR. It looks good, but I'm left wondering why I can get one rtr with everything for nearly $100 cheaper then the cheaper 2wd Traxxas rtr trucks.
    Any thoughts or opinions?
    Any other options I should consider?

I have a brush less ESC, motor and lipo batteries, so would probably consider getting a brushed and upgrade it with what I have.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    umm there is the Kalahari, and Kemorra from Vaterra based off the Losi Mini 8ight
    can get em shipped for around $130 off ebay(they are going up) RTR, Brushless, and with a radio (the radio suppoedly sells for $40-60 on ebay alone)
    The model was discontinued, but as it shares parts there should be no issues. Its a 4wd 1/14th, but that is close to the size of my tamiya DF-02 1/10th scale buggy(honestly its like 1-2mm's off in wheelbase).
    I picked one up, and honestly it is very solidly built. Their original price was north of $250.

Kinda wish I picked up the Kemora also when they were under $120
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    that HSP is the same as the redcat tornado epx pro...which I have owned a couple of.

They really are not bad. Stock shock towers can bend on hard landings...but upgrade (much thicker) ones are available.
    The stock steering servos are iffy....some last a few days, others many months. Upgrade to a metal gear exi or MG for $15.
    Stock radio, ESC and motor are good. Plenty of power. Ezrun ESC and leapord motor make a good combo.
    Stock battery...does the job. Upgrade to a 2s lipo to really get the most out of that brushless system and have better runtimes. Lipo and charger can be had for $80-90 on hobbypartz.com.

That chassis can be made better with some simple tweaks. move the camber links to the lowest hole and the hubs and shock towers. Add a O-ring or snip of nitro fuel tubing on the inside of the drive cups to help center the driveshafts and keep them from wearing out faster. Add tape to the inside of the body so it wont crack to easy.

Ive beat on the tornado pretty hard before. DO NOT try and buy the brushed version and slap your brushless in it. The Brushed version has bushings instead of ball bearings and a plastic spur gear instead of a metal one. Figure it would cost $20 for bearings and $15 for the metal spur gear and it really makes sence to just buy the brushless ready one.

Onto your question on price...why is it brushless 4wd and cost the same as a traxxas 2wd brushed? 2 reasons....traxxas is overprices and HSP/redcat/exceed are lower quality brands. This doesn't mean you cant get good value for your money with some of their stuff...but sometimes the quality control is not as good. Ive had a redcat arrive with a Dead Radio. They replaced it for free, but I had to wait a week to drive my new RC. You will also want to check the screws and nuts to make sure nothing is loose. I should also point out that the traxxas brushed models are waterproof. This is a nice feature.

If you have a brushless ESC and motor and want a low-cost model to put it in...buy a ECX torment, ruckus or boost. These are similar to the traxxas slash, stampede and bandit (respectively) But they cost a fair bit less. Last time a checked the ECX torment was $150 RTR. Specs read out similar to the traxxas slash. Only thing the slash has the torment doesn't is a 7cell battery instead of a 6cell. The torment brushed is ready for brushless upgrade. Ive had a torment, ran it brushed and brushless and loved it. Good handling, durability and value.

I also currently own a vaterra Kalahari...which I got for $115 shipped. As syco said, they are pretty cool rigs and well worth the price.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,