Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: blown receiver

blown receiver

Hey guys, just got a couple of questions about a car I have just received.

So I got an hsp xstr electric buggy for christmas and being one who generally doesn't read instructions and just goes for it I made a big mistake and plugged the charging cable on the battery into the receiver. There was sparks and smoke and needles to say I have not been able to drive my buggy. I have tried to research into fixing this problem but with my very limited knowledge of rc cars I have failed to find much info.

So what I would like to know is do I have to replace the receiver with the exact same one in the car or will different receivers work with my remote? Also if I buy a remote/receiver package do I have to buy a specific brand to work with my car or are they interchangeable?

This is what I am thinking about buying to replace my fried receiver:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FS-RC-Car...item27cb2de00b

Thanks guys!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    usually specific brands, but some are sold under multiple names

and that radio is pretty decent I have the one that uses AA's
    the receivers are also pretty cheap ($8 USD) for that radio(it does come with one), and sold under a few brands.

For example the one you linked I know some of the receivers sold under Eurgle are the same, as well as some of the Hobby King branded ones. Flysky is the manufacturer of those other ones.

Question the radio that came with the buggy was it AM? Just asking cause I looked on google and the only pic I saw with the radio showed an AM one. If that's the case you did yourself a favor
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

I am not sure what the radio that came with it is, it just says 2ch 2.4ghz transmitter. So just to clarify are you saying that the receivers need to be specific specific brands but you can use any transmitter/receiver combo?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    yea pretty much
    you can use any radio combo as you are replacing the receiver, and transmitter. You will need to plug the ESC into the 2nd channel, and servo into channel 1 of the new receiver

Wish I could just tell you what RX you could get with the radio you got to save you some cash, but HSP uses like 2-3 different brands, and I know one you can't get RX's from outside calling HSP(they are some cheap ass company that I had a radio from before I threw out).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Double check I think that controller is the same as redcats and both are Flysky FS GT2 controllers.

so something like this will do the trick
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Flysky-FS...301a954&_uhb=1

and don't forget to get a new charger... And u might of damaged the ESC and servo too
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hang on..... What do u mean about charging cable....the charger shouldn't physically fit??? Oh no....don't tell me u plugged a lipo batteries balance lead directly into the receiver?.... Lol it would of been like fire works lol. If u left it connected for a bit longer the battery would of stated smoking then caught fire.... this might end up been a costly lesson on why we read the manual, There is a high possibility that all the electronics are fried. And could be a economical right off. If it needs a new servo, receiver, ESC and battery it might be more cost effective to but a whole new car exactly the same

U really need to inspect everything and test it. Start with the battery. Dare say the balance leads are stuffed. Have u got access to a multimeter?
    Last edited by phmaximus; 12-26-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Here is an idea take a pic of the receiver, and a pic of the radio cause I found like 4 different pics of this model while searching, and every single one has different things. I've seen 3 different types of radios so far, and 4 different RX's... One site shown a 2.4ghz radio (looked similar to a flysky), and a 27mhz RX in the vehicle next to it...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Here this might be easier than uploading a pic....

is is this the same as ur controller but with different stickers?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    OK you can just buy the RX then from flysky they are pretty much dirt cheap like $8 USD
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FlySky-FS...item20cdf538dd cheapest I found on Australian ebay that ships from your country, if you don't mind waiting from china you can get them for $7.10 AU from what I see.

The radio I saw on 2 of the sites that had that vehicles were by the other radio manufacturer HSP uses which is why I was a tad confused on which you had.

Now I would try that, and pray for the best, and hope phaximus isn't right

(side note I have that controller in orange, and its pretty good )