Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Redcat Rockslide RS10 erratic behavior

I just bought two Redcat Rockslide RS10 vehicles. I have gone through the instructions on binding the transmitter to the receiver. However, I get erratic behavior from the servos and motors. The vehicle won't respond very well. It goes for the first 30 seconds fine, then starts acting up. It stops moving and the wheels move back and forth rapidly. Sometimes if I hold and throttle in, the vehicle will drive one foot, stop, then go another foot and stop. It does this over and over.

What could be the problem?

Thanks

Sounds like the controller or the receiver is bad. Have you tried switching them out between the cars to see if it changes anything? That would take the car and parts out of the list of possible problems.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Esc and servos are garbage. Have the same crawler and had to upgrade both ESC and both servos within the first 5 minuets of owning it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Just doubble check that all the batteries are charged and the aerials are correctly installed
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My rs10 is fine. I had to change my front servo, but ive got a lipo hooked up to it and its fine
    Redcat tornado s30, 13 Xmods, rockslide rs10, axial exo terra, axial scx10 honcho
    Fav. Quote... Only the dead have seen the end of war- plato

So I'm totally new to his stuff so help me out here. What would I upgrade my ESC and servo's too? Is Lipo and brand/type of battery?
    Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    For a crawler, would he even want to use Lipo?
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My nimh battery only lasts a few mins. The lipo battery doesnt make it any faster its a venom 5000mah 7.4v and stock is 7.2v 1800mah.
    Metal gears is a must for servos doesnt have to be fast but strong. I have a hexfly servo on the front i dont remember whicch hexfly it is though.
    A 50-55t motor would probably be pretty good i THINK its geared 11/47 ill check and get back.
    It uses 2 motors i wonder if the stock esc is specially made for 2 motors.
    Redcat tornado s30, 13 Xmods, rockslide rs10, axial exo terra, axial scx10 honcho

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarden71 View Post
    So I'm totally new to his stuff so help me out here. What would I upgrade my ESC and servo's too? Is Lipo and brand/type of battery?
    Thanks
    The stock ESC is fine, just don't get it wet.
    But if you do want to upgrade it, the RC4wd outcry duel motor ESC is great. Can handle more power, has turbo BEC(which give more power to the servos)
    I like tower pro, MG996r servos....cheap, metal gear, stronger than stock.
    You can run a 2s lipo on stock ESC, but it does not have Low Voltage Detection. so, either run a Low voltage alarm (cheap on ebay) or be like me and run it until you notice a sharp decrease in power and stop running right away. Ive never hurt a lipo doing this, but if you are new to lipos then don't try this.

Which radio does your truck have, the FM or the 2.4ghz version? If it is the FM version, then it is VERY likely that is the issue. Those radios were not the best, and very glitch.
    Also, when did you buy them? Redcat has a decent warranty.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thats right i didnt even think about the radio! Thats why i love this forum!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by zackS30 View Post
    Thats right i didnt even think about the radio! Thats why i love this forum!
    Ive onwed 3 rs10s....and have a brand new one on the way
    Actually, Ive owned nearly all the redcat electric models.
    The 1st gen rs10's had FM radios that often had terrible range or were just glitch.
    The 2nd gen (XT) have 2.4ghz radios that are much better. Same functions, but more reliable signal.

another thing I try if my radio seems to glitch...unplug the steering servo and see if that makes the throttle function work. I have had 2 times when a bad steering servo messed up the receiver from working right.

Yes I have the 2.4ghz radio controllers. I filed a claim with Redcat hoping to get one of the steering servos replaced. It caught fire while trying to "bind" the receiver and transmitter. I had trouble with this one from the time I took it out of the box. The plastic bind tab was still molded to the receiver body so I had to break the seal. Then it wouldn't bind properly. After charging the battery for 5hrs I attempted to bind the other transmitter to the same receiver and that's when the steering servo caught fire. I'll try unplugging the steering servos on the good rs10 and see if it helps the behavior. If that doesn't help it must be the battery??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Wow, Ive heard of people having issue with redcats (their quality control is not the best) but never heard of a servo catching fire before.
    I honestly cant say whether your servo or your receiver was at fault.
    If I understand correct, the truck who's servo caught fire was not bound to its radio out of the box? Cause the radios should be set from the factory.

rebind it but dont be close to any electronics or close to the other rc take it outside and bind it or their is something mest up with your wiring or your reciever is bad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarden71 View Post
    Yes I have the 2.4ghz radio controllers. I filed a claim with Redcat hoping to get one of the steering servos replaced. It caught fire while trying to "bind" the receiver and transmitter. I had trouble with this one from the time I took it out of the box. The plastic bind tab was still molded to the receiver body so I had to break the seal. Then it wouldn't bind properly. After charging the battery for 5hrs I attempted to bind the other transmitter to the same receiver and that's when the steering servo caught fire. I'll try unplugging the steering servos on the good rs10 and see if it helps the behavior. If that doesn't help it must be the battery??
    Say WHAT?? 5 HOURS? What kind of battery and what kind of charger are you using?? Unless it's a 4000mah battery and you're charging it with a free-bee cheap-assed trickle charger, something sounds fishy there......

Your SERVO caught fire??! Never heard of THAT one before! Congratulations, that's gotta be a first. Cannot imagine why a battery would cause your servo to catch fire. Even if the servo plug was backwards it shouldn't have done that. Hopefully Redcat will take care of you and replace not only the servo, but the receiver and ESC as well, because they could ALL be suspect.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I had the same behavior out of a Ground Pounder I bought from Redcat. I contacted Redcat and they sent me a new controller and receiver. I installed thema dn it ran "better" but not great. I ended up sending th truck to them for repair. They fixed it and sent it back. A week later the same behavior started again.

I got tired of it and ripped the stock radio system out of the truck. I locked the rear steering and installed a old traxxas 2Ch radio and receiver.

Trucks been perfect ever since.

Long story short is you WILL end up replacing the stock radio.