Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Please help me choose another RC

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 AM
TheMihai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me choose another RC

Hi guys!
Sometime in this spring I want to buy a new RC car, I am not new to this hobby, I have a good ol' HPI Blitz and a Savage XS and I am very pleased with HPI's quality, so I would prefer HPI but I am open to any other suggestions. My budget isn't huge, the HPI Apache c1 being at the very top of my budget. I was also looking at the Traxxas Stampede 4x4 VXL, but at that price, I can buy the Savage Flux 2350, which is bigger,(better) faster, stronger. The E-Revo brushless is just gorgeous, but it costs very much, and I also have to buy a couple of batteries, so it goes waaaay over the budget.
So, my preferences are: 1. Savage Flux 2350 (It is really a good deal for me, because I will only run 2s)
2. Apache C1 (It looks great, really tough, the same electronics as the Savvy 2350)
3. HPI Trophy Buggy/Truggy Flux
Opinions?
Thanks a lot, your prompt answers will be highly appreciated!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:48 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not heard good things about the HPI Trophy Flux Truggy. (I was looking at that truck at one time) From what I've gathered over time, HPI's quality varies A LOT depending on what model you're talking about. The Blitz being one of the better ones. So I would be very careful choosing another HPI and research it well!

Have you considered any of the offerings by OFNA? (Or its supplier, HoBao) Neither is a brand that you will likely find at your local hobby store, but the model quality is awesome. If you're comfortable buying RC supplies online, I'd really suggest it. I recently bought a HoBao Hyper 10TT Truggy roller (Ofna-branded, but it says HoBao on the car and the box) from NitroHouse.com for $189. The TT has been discontinued, but its cousin, the Hyper 10SC is a Short Course truck and still in production, along with a number of other models. The TT came as a "roller" all built but minus electronics and body paint. Aluminum chassis and many other aluminum parts, mixed with plastic. It's very tough. And the price was right!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok I will tell you don't put faith in HPI as you just happened to have 2 of their better quality vehicles. The savage is pretty good too, and HPI wheely king are the only ones besides the ones you got I would recommend to anyone at all. The rest of their catalog is mediocre to poor IMO.

The Trophy I would buy ANY other brand if you want a buggy. Seriously out of the 10 or so people we had on this site that owned one I've only read one person who thought the Trophy was a good vehicle, but he had to dump almost $100-$130 in parts to make it survive one time out(everyone else had the same exact issues too). Funny part is all those parts were from other manufacturers as the HPI parts sucked.

I do know where you are coming from though as I was the same exact way
Got a HPI MT2 felt damn this thing has some great build quality, got a Savage X again Wow this thing rocks, got a RS4 onroad, and was like hmm this is pretty solid, got a Brama 10B.... Threw it in the garbage as it was a total piece of crap with no redeeming qualities, and couldn't be made even remotely decent(unless you owned a machine shop and could cut new gears, diff cups, axles, and CNC a new chassis...), Tried other brands and saw there is a lot more out there that is better.

The Apache is discontinued so parts would more then likely be an issue as I don't think it was that popular or shared many parts with anything else(if anything else)

To recommendations

Ofna LX2e one of the better low cost 1/8th scale buggies http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWUV&P=ML

The stampede 4X4... I dunno what to say on it the vehicle itself isn't bad, and it has a lot of potential (as you can make it into almost any class with a few part swaps), but for its price as an owner of one I find it lacks in part quality as it should have a few parts made stronger (drive shafts on it are pretty bad which is my main gripe with it.).

Savage Flux it handles like a cinder block on wheels that is traveling like 45-50 MPH. Can't say anything bad about it as its supposed to handle that way (own one). But seeing you own the flux XS I dunno if I would recommend one as you own a similar vehicle already.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCYCB&P=ML would smoke a revo. If you like the revo's look just slap a wing on that sucker Only issue I ever read with it was the shock towers needs to be doubled up which honestly isn't a big deal compared to issues most RTR's have.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 01-02-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Eman77

I second the opinions of either an Ofna (solid quality, good prices), or the MT4 G3 linked to above, which is just a beast from everything I read.

For the original poster - what type of vehicle are you looking for though? Sounds like a Monster Truck, but the Apache you mentioned is a buggy, so I'm not sure. Maybe look at Axial as well?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 AM
TheMihai

Thanks a lot for your useful replies guys!
So, the Trophy flux is a no-no, the Apache lacks parts, but is it durable and any good? The Savage flux, I own a similar vehicle, but the big Savage is from another league, saw it a hobby shop. As for the other brands you mentioned, i can't find anywhere in my country, and the shipping from USA would cost me a fortune.
About the E-Revo brushed what do you think?
In conclusion, i think i will go for the Savage Flux 2350, but I'll wait and see what ypu guys think.
Thanks a lot, you guys really helped me out.
@eman77 I love monster trucks and short course trucks, but why not a buggy?

Last edited by TheMihai; 01-02-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:15 AM
EXT2Rob

So where ARE you? And, what will be your MAIN resource for all things RC? Do you have a store, or will you be buying everything online? I think most of us here are in North America / Canada. If you're in Europe, there are other brands available that we don't have a lot of insight to, here. If you're in Asia somewhere, you should be in RC heaven! Lots of choices there too, just brands we may not know much about unless they're imported here, like HoBao imported by Ofna, and brands like HobbyWing and Tacon.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:21 AM
TheMihai

My profile says it all, i'm from Romania, unfortunately. In this country there are only two rc stores. One that keeps Hpi and Team durango on stock and one that keeps only Traxxas. That's pretty much it.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:51 AM
EXT2Rob

Romania! Wow! Another first? I've seen bits of Romania from watching ERC Rally Championship racing on TV. The countryside looks lovely! Welcome!
Hmmm....so are you NEAR either of those stores? And would that play into what you might like to get? (Hmm..you did say you've got a couple HPI cars, so maybe you're nearer that one?) Or are you completely cool with buying online?

I understand the issue of shipping costs. That can certainly be an issue. Some companies might not ship to Europe. Or if they do, it's costly. At least if you're ordering stuff from the west. You know what you might do? Send a PM to a guy named "Foxy" on this forum. He's a brit currently living/working in Greece and he has a wide knowlege of many brands, especially ones only available in Europe. So he might be able to advise you on other brands to consider that would be available more locally, and thereby less costly to ship. Or at least some importers who carry some of the brands available here. Give it a try, he's really friendly. Might have to wait a few days for a reply, he gets busy.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

From what foxy has said in the past tower knocks like 20-30% off the bill for shipping to Europe(as he lives in Greece and orders from there a quite abit it seems). Would have to hope he chimes in on how its done, and how much though.

Thunder Tiger though should be available somewhere in Europe though as they were bigger over there then they started marketing in the US. Same with the LX it should be listed under HoBao
Old 01-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Eman77

Originally Posted by TheMihai
@eman77 I love monster trucks and short course trucks, but why not a buggy?
Nothing at all wrong with a buggy, just trying to figure out what you're looking for, and you mentioned a couple of different styles (MT and buggy). So I guess you're wide open, so that keeps it a little easier!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:50 PM
TheMihai

@rob Yea, you are right. There was an Hpi showroom in my city until last year when i found it closed and empty! So, the XS was bought online, from the same country. Thanks for the info, I will PM Foxy, asking some stuff about these trucks. If I'll find the MT4 somewhere in europe, with a decent shipping cost, i'll go for it, it seems really awesome. If not, I'll have to stick with HPI and Traxxas, and ask Foxy a few things about them, if he doesn't mind.
@eman I am wide open, it doesn't matter what is it, how does it looks like, just to be offroad, maybe 4x4 and durable.
I really appreciate your replies and thanks for the warm welcome!

Edit: Oh. My. God! Just found the Thunder Tiger mt4 g3 at an online shop in my country!! Even cheaper than the Savage Flux 2350! Now, is it durable? Is it a truck that would survive 4 years of bashing and still running hard, like my Blitz? Because that is what I am looking for. Not some chinese POS that would run like hell for the first day, but the second day everything is broken.

Last edited by TheMihai; 01-02-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:15 PM
EXT2Rob

Foxy and others have said the the MT4 G3 is tough as nails, and that they beat the snot out of it. He recommends it all the time to guys looking for an "ultimate basher". Big 1/8-scale platform and huge MT tires go a long way to making a tough platform. If you found it in-country, go for it, dude.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Foxy and others have said the the MT4 G3 is tough as nails, and that they beat the snot out of it. He recommends it all the time to guys looking for an "ultimate basher". Big 1/8-scale platform and huge MT tires go a long way to making a tough platform. If you found it in-country, go for it, dude.

Yea like I said earlier only complaint I seen from people on it are the shock towers are weak, and need to be doubled up otherwise they bend. Outside that I can't say I read any negative things on it.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:50 AM
TheMihai

Ok, thanks for your answers! I will probably buy the MT4, but I saw that it has just one battery connector, and I already have two Gens Ace 5000mah 2S Lipo's and I plan running them. What should I do? Do I need an adapter?
Edit: Unfortunately, there are no parts available for the mt4, not even some bloody tires!! So, I guess I'll have to stick to traxxas and hpi just because I can buy parts wiyh free shipping from my country. I really fell in love with that sucker...

Last edited by TheMihai; 01-03-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:53 AM
TheMihai

Ok, I made some research and I came to a conclusion.
I'll keep it simple: The Savage Flux HP (10% discount, it was displayed at the hobby shop, so they are giving it away cheaper) ,,,or,,,
The HPI Vorza Flux (No discount, it costs as much as the Savage Flux does, and these guys said that they are very durable, very fast, but the low ground clearance is a pretty bad thing for offroad, of course) ,,,or,,,
The Hpi Apache C1 (10%discount, the same as the Savage, it is the cheapest, the slowest, but I guess it is a good choice, right?)
I pm'd Foxy about these cars, will see what he thinks about 'em, and I would like to know which one would you pick.
Thanks a lot!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Depending on the terrain the vorza or savage.
If you are doing really rough off road the savage would handle it better.
If driving on-road, through grass, or dirt, and you want a more stable platform the vorza

Apache like I said earlier I wouldn't touch due to it being discontinued, and to my knowledge shares no parts with any other vehicle so parts might be an issue down the line. Where as the other 2 are very popular, and you know you will get parts support.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:32 PM
TheMihai

Alright, thanks a ton!!
I am mostly driving on some rough asphalt, loose dirt and grass with small bumps. But sometimes I just drive offroad with my little Savage and jump over anything I can find. So I guess I'll probably go with the Vorza, I don't know, let's see what Foxy can tell me.
But my dad, I don't know, he is just focused on the Savage, he doesn't like to hear about anything else, I hope I'll change his mind though
Old 01-03-2014, 01:04 PM
EXT2Rob

Originally Posted by TheMihai
Ok, thanks for your answers! I will probably buy the MT4, but I saw that it has just one battery connector, and I already have two Gens Ace 5000mah 2S Lipo's and I plan running them. What should I do? Do I need an adapter?
Edit: Unfortunately, there are no parts available for the mt4, not even some bloody tires!! So, I guess I'll have to stick to traxxas and hpi just because I can buy parts wiyh free shipping from my country. I really fell in love with that sucker...
I know this truck is off your list, but your question caught my eye. I don't quite get it. But maybe the issue is moot. I guess you were planning on using both lipo packs for a 4S configuration, and wondering how to connect them in series? Yeah, you need a "series adapter" cable. Connecting packs in series gives higher voltage, in parallel it gets you greater capacity (runtime).
Old 01-04-2014, 09:36 AM
TheMihai

Hi again guys!
Just drove the Savage Flux HP, a guy from my city, he lives nearby, he let me drive a couple of minutes on 4s. And yes, it is darn fast and very beautiful, but it handles like a cinder block (thanks SyCo_VeNoM ), so I'll probably go for the Vorza. My dad likes it, so that's a huge plus.
One more question: I really love my Blitz, so I was also looking at some Short Course trucks, and wanted to ask you guys what do you think about the Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate or Platinum?
If you don't know the vehcile, will just ask Foxy
Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:42 AM
collector1231

Neither trucks, at least if you ask me. Go OFNA. You can get a 4WD SC race ready roller for less then 300 or 200. Plus, they are built like a rock. I've had mine for 2 years now and only broke 3 parts; 1 rear C hub (tried to quad a double-double jump) , front left A arm (tricky track....), and a body on my OFNA Nexx10SC, one of its identical cars. Here is a link to their Hyper 10SC; http://www.activepowersports.com/ofn...-4wd-ofn14615/
Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 AM
TheMihai

Yea, I saw the Ofnas, and really like them, I also like the Mt4 g3, but for every single part that breaks or that I want to upgrade, I have to order it from the USA... The hobby shops from my country stock only HPI and Traxxas parts, so I'll go with Hpi or Traxxas. I'll call at the shop Monday and ask if they will ever bring Thunder Tiger or Ofna parts, and will decide after that.
Anyway, thanks for your feedback of the Ofna.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:03 AM
collector1231

Did you look at online hobby stores from countries around you, like Bulgaria and Ukraine? They might have OFNA parts online.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:02 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Slash 4X4... Owned one thought it handled terribly I converted it to a pede 4X4 with a center diff, and threw some 3.4in wider Stadium truck tires on it(actually the ones off a HPI bullet ST) handles wayyy better with the wider tires
prior to the changes it was flippy as hell with its higher COG honestly it made my savage look like a racer handling wise.
Just my opinion though

As for the ofna RC's you might want to use the names HongNor, or HoBoa as those are the names the RC's are sold under in anywhere that is not North America

Even if the shop doesn't carry the parts most times they can order them from their distributor. Like my LHS I got plenty of RC's they don't carry parts for, but they can order any needed(I just usually order them off the internet myself though as the shop is pretty far).

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 01-04-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 AM
EXT2Rob

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM

As for the ofna RC's you might want to use the names HongNor, or HoBoa as those are the names the RC's are sold under in anywhere that is not North America
Um, that would be HongNor or HoBao. HoBao is who made my Hyper TT, and the build quality is really really good. So if you can get them near you under those names, do take a look at the Hyper 10SC short course truck.

As for the Slash, doesn't the Ultimate and Platinum come with the Low Center of Gravity Chassis now?? I thought Traxxas was sort of converting all Slashes to LCOG. If I'm wrong there, he could certainly buy the LCoG chassis and convert it, and that should take care of the handling "tippy" issue. But it's gonna cost him time and money. Oh well, I guess that's what some of us have to deal with when the best and only available is "The Big T". 8^)
Old 01-05-2014, 01:05 PM
TheMihai

Damn, I guess life hates me
I just finished the order for the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 and a couple of axles, keeping in mind the pretty big shipping cost, and then realized that I have to pay the VAT, which is 24%!!! over here, so the price of the truck and all stuff would just explode, right?
Are Kyosho rc cars good? Like the kyosho mad force and kyosho DMT VE-R RTR?

Last edited by TheMihai; 01-05-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.