Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Best value Tamiya Re-release buggy?

My local club has started some vintage racing (2wd and 4wd, 540 motors) and I want to join in (much more fun and social the the brutally competitive 4wd class I race in), Tamiya Re-released buggies are permitted and I wanted to get one.
    I always wanted a Hornet when I was a kid but my parents bought me a Radio Shack buggy instead (still happy), but I was about to order one when a mate let me have a bash of his at the local bmx track, needless to say I found it to be the worst handling RC car I've ever driven and its put me off a bit from buying one.
    Just wondering if anyone can suggest a retro Tamiya buggy that's strong yet doesn't understeer off at 7kph or roll over for no reason?

I really wanted the Madcap but Tamiya are not making it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you are looking for 4wd then the re-release of the Egress is what you want. Back in the day the Egress was a great race buggy.

If you are limited to the Re-Releases then the best handling 2WD of the bunch so far has been the Dynastorm but its unlikely you'll find one of those. Your next best option is going to be the Fox. With modern rubber, a sway bar on the front and a decent set of shocks it makes a great racer.

Find out what the rules are before buying anything. We had a vintage class strictly for tamiya cars a couple years back and it was great fun. The cars all had to run on period correct (hard rubber) tires. It was great fun. We had a solid axle class as well that was 99% hornets and grasshoppers. That class required stock silver cans and everyone had to run either hornet or grasshopper tires.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    hotshot

or check if the DF-02 is allowed dunno if that counts as a re-release or not seeing they just came out with a new version (towers page was added in 05 for it). If its allowed you can get that sucker goin 30, and it would still be stable. Own 2, and after a cheap mod the sucker is strong as hell (its a fix that prevents the chassis diff case from ripping off)

Wish I didn't chuck towers catalog as I think they had a whole page dedicated to tamiya re-releases.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by collector1231 View Post
    The Tamiya Plasma Edge, if you'd ask me. http://www.activepowersports.com/tam...-kit-tam58399/
    They are a bit hard to find in my part of the world, I might have a look at the Fox/Novafox, someone else said they are good buggies.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Coopz View Post
    They are a bit hard to find in my part of the world, I might have a look at the Fox/Novafox, someone else said they are good buggies.
    hmm musta got hard few years back we had a few Australian members with them
    just a side note look for the Aero Avante as that is the re-release of the DF-02 tamiya did like a year ago.(they put in a better ESC, and a cooler shell)
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Coopz View Post
    My local club has started some vintage racing (2wd and 4wd, 540 motors) and I want to join in (much more fun and social the the brutally competitive 4wd class I race in), Tamiya Re-released buggies are permitted and I wanted to get one.
    I always wanted a Hornet when I was a kid but my parents bought me a Radio Shack buggy instead (still happy), but I was about to order one when a mate let me have a bash of his at the local bmx track, needless to say I found it to be the worst handling RC car I've ever driven and its put me off a bit from buying one.
    Just wondering if anyone can suggest a retro Tamiya buggy that's strong yet doesn't understeer off at 7kph or roll over for no reason?

I really wanted the Madcap but Tamiya are not making it
    Thats cool.... Is that going to be at SDMCC? Morphett Vale??
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Not that I'm aware of, Steve (Stevo?) is trying to get it up and running at Hobby Habit, I think they have run it at Mitchell Park as well but I missed it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    hummmm.... I don't think that track would be very good.....vintage spiky tyres on a carpet track.... generaly I would say to run slicks but that track is so badly soaked in nitro and oil that they don't work.... no kidding my yellow SCT comes back Black and sticky.

IMO it would be awesome at Morphett vale dirt track ATM they are having 1/10 EP buggie races with no entry fees....

further south the better... as im down south lol
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger