Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Problems with My Evader EXT 2.4

Old 01-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Zach_Attack30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problems with My Evader EXT 2.4

I got the new Evader for Christmas this year and I think i'm having problems with my ESC but i'm not sure. When I go full throttle the motor stops and beeps twice fast and it does that about 10 times, but the weird thing is that I can use the servo while it is beeping. I hope this will help someone help me! I have a fully charged battery and I did a test and put the same battery in my brothers and it ran without stopping for a good 15-20 mins. I usually check the battery and/or motor to see if it is hot or not and is not usually not unusually hot. While it is beeping a red light in sync flashes. I have looked in the book for a guide to the beeps but have found nothing, and the holding the reset button going forward/back etc. doesn't work either.

Last edited by Zach_Attack30; 01-06-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:17 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Zach. Try re-calibrating the ESC. Look up the directions in your manual. It's been a LOOONG time, so I don't remember the details, but it just involves something like holding the reset button while turning on the system, then moving the throttle trigger to Full Reverse and waiting for a beep, moving to Full Forward and waiting for a beep, then to neutral and the last beep. Or something along those lines. Check the troubleshooting guide to see what those multiple double-beeps are trying to tell you.

When this happens, have you been running the car for some time? It could be the ESC has gone into Thermal Shutdown, meaning your ESC is too hot for some reason. Check the temp on the ESC when this happens. If this happens right off the bat, the ESC could be faulty. Are they still putting the Sprint 2 ESC in the Evader? Or is it a newer one? If you got this car for Christmas, certainly it's under warranty. If neither of the above suggestions solve it, I'd go back to the hobby store and have them evaluate it, as I'm assuming you haven't changed anything (like gearing) and it's bone stock. I know Evaders, so let me know. Happy to try to help.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Zach_Attack30

I'll try that thanks for the reply and when i'm running its a fresh battery the first run and i'm driving in the snow plus I've checked the temperatures of the battery and motor and neither are hot what so ever.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Zach_Attack30

I'll try that thanks for the reply and when i'm running its a fresh battery the first run and i'm driving in the snow plus I've checked the temperatures of the battery and motor and neither are hot what so ever.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 AM
EXT2Rob

GAAA!! Driving in the SNOW?! 8^O Well, I guess it's supposed to be do-able. The ESC is supposed to be water proof. But I wouldn't recommend it, mate. Besides the electronics, there are metal parts that will rust if not thoroughly cleaned and dried (suspension arm hinge pins, bearings) and frankly, I do not believe them when they say the ESC is waterproof. Be careful. Being a brushed motor, there's no issue there, except for the shaft ends that will need lube.

If you get to the point where you want to go brushless, I highly suggest this motor system: http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-9t-3650-motor.html
Perfectly suited to the Evader, fast and reliable. I have two of them and they're great. Can't beat the $77 price!! Just be sure to dump those crappy battery connectors and change to something like Traxxas connectors. Those Tamiya Molex connectors cannot handle much current and will melt, even with a 7-cell NiMh. (Oh, and don't use NiMhs if you go brushless, they can't handle it. Gotta use LiPo)

Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Zach_Attack30

No brushed motor, yet if i get it fixed. And ill check out that link when i want to go brushless. Also when i'm done i turn it upside down and let it dry, and i believe it is truly water-proof I may have "dunked" it. Another thing is iv'e read the manual front to back and it had nothing about the beeps/flashing, or and troubleshooting things about this.

Last edited by Zach_Attack30; 01-06-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:44 PM
EXT2Rob

Zach, I went and looked at the EXT2.4 manual. The ESC has a built-in Low Voltage Cut-off (LVC) for using LiPo batteries. When the LVC cuts in, it flashes a red light. I think you have the LVC engaged, and I suspect you're using the NiMh battery that came with the car? NiMh batteries under load, like full throttle, will cause the voltage to sag. If the LVC is active, and the battery voltage sags below the LVC, it'll stop your car motor and the red light will flash and beep. Hmmm....looking again, it appears that the LVC is permanently engaged. No way to disable it, near as I can tell from the manual. You didn't say if you have a hobby shop nearby. Do you know if your dad got it locally or ordered it online? If your brother's car (an evader too?) runs fine and yours isn't, I suspect the ESC may be faulty and should be replaced under warranty. Might want to have the hobby shop guys look at it.

Sorry, but not having that newer ESC they started using on the 2.4, I don't have any direct experience with it. Just what I can glean from the manual.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Zach_Attack30

Thanks my dad ordered it offline from duratrax iv'e been trying to get a hold of them. but its kinda hard so i went on here I had a clue it may have been that but it dies really fast especially when i use a 3600 MaH NiMH battery, and i looked into lipo and its too expensive for me ATM
Old 01-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Zach_Attack30

Also my brother uses the Evader ST
Old 01-06-2014, 01:42 PM
EXT2Rob

Well, I'm sure he didn't get it from DTX directly, he must've gotten it from someplace like Tower Hobbies. So your bro has the Evader ST? Look at his ESC, I'll bet it's the Sprint 2. That version did not have LVC. Might explain why his car has no such problem. If you have any other battery to try and it does the same thing, then it sounds like the ESC could be flaky. You'd have to send it in to Hobbico for warranty replacement. See your manual. (Hobbico is the company who owns DTX an a number of other brand names)

One other thought: you could try swapping motors with your bro's car, just to see if the same behavior happens. If it does, definitly ESC is foinked. Just bad luck, I'm afraid. This time of year (right after xmas) it's really hard to get hold of, or get response from, Duratrax. They're probably slammed. Just contact Hobbico, by phone if possible, and explain the problem. They'll have you send in the ESC and they'll replace it, FOC. Sorry you happened to get a bum one.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Zach_Attack30

Alright thanks for everything ill try that
Old 01-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Zach_Attack30

Alright thanks for everything ill try that
Old 01-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Zach_Attack30

I do not believe it would be a LVC because the car itself comes with a 1500 and in my case a 2500 MaH NiMH battery, unless duratrax was stupid enough to do that and destroy batteries.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:29 AM
EXT2Rob

What's the latest, Zach? Been able to contact Hobbico? Tried another motor to confirm the ESC is bad? What's up?
Old 01-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Zach_Attack30

well i got a hold of them, FINALLY! and a nice guy is sending me ALL new electronics and he said the ones he is sending are in his opinion better, thanks for your help and the link for the brushless setup! I really appreciate it.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:18 PM
EXT2Rob

That's great! Happy to help. Fell free to PM me if you have any other questions.