Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

DIY stadium truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 AM
bcredneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY stadium truck

ive been in this hobby for a while and waiting and looking for parts drives me crazy
so my new plan is to build a 2wd 1/10 stadium truck out of 1/16'' and 1/8'' aluminum plate and 1/4'' uhmw plastic
the only real rc parts i want to use are the tranny cvd's hub's turnbuckles wheels body shocks and electronics
everything else must be handmade and easy to make again if i brake it
the UHMW plastic im talking about is the same stuff used for sliders on snowmobile tracks 1'' of it stops a .22 LR at close range yet its easy to cut with a hacksaw
the entire truck will be screwed together and the chassis will be a single 1/8'' plate like a nitro truck
Old 01-15-2014, 11:47 AM
rustlerbasher

Snowmobile hyfax ftw lol. Sounds like quite the endeavor! Have fun.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:00 PM
bcredneck

what kind of tranny can be bolted to a flat plate with a mid motor setup i would like to use the same steel cvd's my old losi xxt used they survived 6 motors till the coms wore out my plastic xx cvd's only lasted a couple brush sets each
Old 01-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Northern Mike

I've thought about doing the same thing.
Maybe take a look at the 80's Kyosho chassis designs. They where reasonably simple and rock solid.
Incorporate today's advancements and you should be on the right track.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:02 PM
bcredneck

thats very close to the losi xxt design and thats the style i want to build
i would like the rake of the front shock tower and h arms to be ajustable i moded my xxt bracket for that and was very happy with it
the h arms will be plastic sandwiched in aluminum and the ends that connect to the hubs will be a seprate part so i can use any style of hubs without building new h arms the part wil be a c shape that slides into the to the arm and screwed to the aluminum the h arm itself will be 3 plastic and 2 aluminum parts each ive made them before and they usually just bend the plates if i crash really hard i fix them with a hammer or have to make a new part witch is way better than a long ebay search followed by a hit to my wallet

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9059.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	1958124   Click image for larger version

Name:	losi2a.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1958127  
Old 01-15-2014, 02:47 PM
bcredneck

i found this pic on google whats this tranny from its perfect for this type of frame

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	1958144  
Old 01-15-2014, 04:10 PM
bcredneck

was looking at this to its from a rustler but it looks bulky and im not a fan of the plastic gears made by traxxas my freind has a ton of striped e-maxx gears
on the plus side i can mount my rear h arms to it and it looks like i can screw it to a flat plate easy
ive never owned a rustler how do they hold up
if they break or strip it defeats the purpouse of my build i want something that i can make my own parts for or a part that wont break or id just buy another losi xxt (my last one was stolen)

Name:	traxxasmagnum_zps39faaae6.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1958160  
Old 01-15-2014, 07:44 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

That is Traxxas's old plastic gear design. Now, they have all metal gears. What motor, ESC, elecs. are you thinking about using?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 PM
bcredneck

im going brushed mod motor with 7 cell nimh (made from 18v dewalt 15 cell batteries who cares if there only 1800mah there free) and what ever esc will run it
but the rustle trannys got metal gears now i know nothing about rustlers
i liked losi 2wd to much to even look at buying one but i dont care what brand parts i use as long as they work
and they sell traxxas parts everywhere so its a good fit for this bulid
since this truck is inspired by my hate of shipping parts
Old 01-15-2014, 08:36 PM
bcredneck

so after looking at some pics ill have to use traxxas cvds and hubs and rethink the rear h arm to clear the cvd to use the tranny
but those aluminum hubs and steel cvds look like they take a good beating
the truck is going to be my skate park basher thats why i want to be able to make most of it from easy to get materials
Old 01-16-2014, 11:47 AM
bcredneck

my LHS sucks so bad they only sell traxxas yet they refuse to order any parts even with cash up front
so i decided to buy a lipo for my light hawk but they dont have chargers or alarms so i said ill take a 370 motor they dont know what that is
*** how is this store i business they suck so bad every thing i want cant be bought or needs something they dont have i cant even get turnbuckles or non MT wheels
and after all that they say they have a truck radio for sale and its over $500 and ment for helis ***
i hope they go out of business so someone else can open a real hobby shop
Old 01-16-2014, 12:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bcredneck
my LHS sucks so bad they only sell traxxas yet they refuse to order any parts even with cash up front
so i decided to buy a lipo for my light hawk but they dont have chargers or alarms so i said ill take a 370 motor they dont know what that is
*** how is this store i business they suck so bad every thing i want cant be bought or needs something they dont have i cant even get turnbuckles or non MT wheels
and after all that they say they have a truck radio for sale and its over $500 and ment for helis ***
i hope they go out of business so someone else can open a real hobby shop
Sounds like one I know shoe box of parts(I think its a size 11) is all their HPI, and Traxas parts support. Guy that runs it if you ask about ground based RC's kinda ignores you. If you asking him about a ground based vehicle, and someone walks in looking at the airplanes he will forget about you, and go talk to that guy. Outside a old Stampede on the shelf everything else is airplanes or helicopters. Hell Ball bearings for ground based applications were $5 a piece for what every other place sells (or sold at the time) for $1.50. One time I needed a BB I went there and walked out went to another hobby shop bought around 10 for the price he wanted for 3. I say were cause I haven't gone back to that place in many years I know they moved as I do business with a place a few doors down, but I would never shop there again even if I wanted an air based RC.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 01-16-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:48 PM
bcredneck

lucky you i got 1 hobby shop in town next one i know of is 4hrs away in alberta and i only have a steetbike and the roads are covered in ice
Old 01-16-2014, 04:28 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I'm really lucky. My LHS has a track, and specialized in cars. The best part is, its only 25 minutes away from where i live.

A 370 motor? Why would you need that? All I know is, I know of a good ESC. It is equal to a XL5, but is much cheaper. Here is a link to it.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:17 AM
bcredneck

the 370 was for my lighthawk im using a 540 in this ive never even seen a rc track in person after 8 years in this hobby but i raced with freinds at bmx tracks the big jumps usually take someone out after 2 laps
im going to get some aluminum today can someone get me the measurements of the bottom of there traxas tranny for me i need it to plan my frame shape