Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Opinion needed in trading rustler for gt2??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 PM
backnrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion needed in trading rustler for gt2??

I have a Rustler XL-5 all stock except upgraded bearings. Have a guy that wants to trade for a gt2 associated nitro. He said it has good compression but just sick of nitros.

All I have ever owned is Traxxas. Just seeing what you all thought? From what I see..it seems to be a good trade?
My Rustler is clean...but beat up a little for being 3-5 months old.
The gt2 looks good.

Yes
No
Maybe?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:35 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't.....but that's just me...I like reverse to much lol

Id be worried that he is sick of nitros because of the tuning. and might of not looked after the motor.

If u can get him to show u it using a whole tank of fuel with out any problems, do it, if that what u want
Old 01-18-2014, 06:08 AM
h22a4
My Feedback: (50)

nevermind the fact that associated uses all standard tools and traxxas uses metric so nothing you currently use to work on your truck will cross over.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:47 PM
bcredneck

the rustler is a lower end ST truck if i had one and i got that offer i would run home a grab the rustler and run back to his house as long as the motors good
Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 PM
brianjr45

I would be weary of that the other guys have a point about the engine. They can be a pain in the ass, and they really need to be looked after quite well. But a new O.S. motor is only a couple hundred.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:33 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah but then if u need to spend couple of hundred just to get it running its not such a good deal.

imagine what $200 could do to a rustler....u could get a very nice brushless combo and a battery, and u might have some change for a set of steel axles.

one thing to consider. if u were to swap. u will gain more speed and acceleration, but im doubtful there will be a massive difference in handling...and u will loose reverse.
If u are just bashing around and not racing id keep the rustler. If u plan on getting into nitro stadium truck racing then swap for the GT2
Old 01-18-2014, 07:48 PM
backnrc

Well...I appreciate the info. I told him to make sure it's tuned and I would look at it.
I have little nitro experience. ..but could tell it had great compression from turning by hand.
It started right up. Ran great. Flipped it twice and it didn't hesitate a bit while upside down.
The truck still had the foam thingies on linkage. It didnt look like it had alot of hrs.

So...I traded! All I got to say is....I've put I can't tell you how much into my other truck...vxl rustler I have...
Protrac rear...HR aaluminum tranny...badlands 2.8....titan shafts....aluminum caps...tekno m6 rear shafts...pm everything else beside frame and electronics AND I was sold on the trade of my xl-5 ....the second I turn the front wheel around the yard.
Then once I started running the gt2 on my track. .....wow! ...I mean WOW!!! What a difference.
I have my brushless rustler set up nicely imho....all adjusted with rpm toe/camber gauge....etc.
....and with $$$ in upgrades......and it does NOT come close to handle like this gt2!

The gt2 just flows so much better....balance of the truck is awesome! I wasn't even trying to go fast and I swear I had faster lap times than trying to go fast with my rustler.....lol

So...now since I'm really not a nitro guy...trying.... because my buddy is....but may convert it to brushless. Put my electronics from rustler into the gt2 and sell the rustler roller. ....I give it a bit...but am favoring doing so

Oh...and the gt2 turns......lol wow.....night and day

Oh....and as I started pulling off the rear wheel today...I told my buddy.....all shoot (well other word) he said what?
This is Team Associated. .....and? ....and it's made in USA. (which is a good thing) but I said it's all standard ....not metric.
Pain in the butt....plus I better not loose a screw/nut. (Guess I got to get some extras)

Oh...and I do understand the gt2 is a mid engine vs rear....so there should be some difference but with that and the way the steering feels......just seems like it's on rails!

And thanks again guys for your thoughts.

Last edited by backnrc; 01-18-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:57 PM
Cowboy420

The GT2 is a far superior ST, you made the right decision by trading. There's no other ST than can come close to the handling and winning ability as the GT2. Sure there's a learning curve when it comes to nitros, but once you get the hang of it DAMN it's a lot of fun.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 AM
backnrc

Originally Posted by Cowboy420
The GT2 is a far superior ST, you made the right decision by trading. There's no other ST than can come close to the handling and winning ability as the GT2. Sure there's a learning curve when it comes to nitros, but once you get the hang of it DAMN it's a lot of fun.
Thanks...and I agree now.
But.....I'm just not a nitro guy....plus have had a broken back....so bending over all the time just kills me....so...already started taking the gt2 apart.....it is going brushless!!!