Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need help for starter hobby grade rc

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 PM
lladna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help for starter hobby grade rc

Looking to buy a STARTER level RC car for my 6 year old son and I.
Just for driving around the neighborhood, grass and pavement, and a little inside.
I am wanting to stay under $175.
I am not sure about 1/10 or 1/18.
I am leaning to the 1/10 ECX Torment, but am also looking at 1/18 Helion Animus. Someone else mentioned the Tacon Soar 1/14.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:52 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Three of us have the brushless truggy version of this one. It works pretty well. Easy to work on, good parts support, and fun to thrash and crash.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...h-battery.html

A little bigger short course truck

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...t-charger.html

This is the one we have. We also bought a couple extra batteries. It is more then you listed. With a 5000 mah battery, we go for 30 to 45 minutes.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...r-charger.html

Battery.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-car-lipo.html

There are a lot of cars and trucks out there. All depends on what you are looking for. Might want to think about a radio you can limit the throttle on so he does not drive full throttle.

Buzz.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:03 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I'd go with the Ruckus. It is more appealing to kids, and is designed for new drivers. Those DHK, at least with my experience, are total crap. My HP Outlaw (same company, different name), is always breaking, and the front wheels do not spin. I've done everything I could to it, but still..... it sucks. Go with the Ruckus. You won't regret it.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:13 AM
lladna

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely leaning towards Torment or Ruckus, which as I can understand are essentially the same truck with different body setups.
Will go visit HobbyTown tomorrow.
Extra battery or larger battery for them?
Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:42 AM
collector1231

I'd go with extra and larger, LOL! Check out Venom's NiMH. Mine have lasted about 3 years now. http://www.atomik-rc.com/7-2v-4200ma...-Pack-UNI.html
Old 07-02-2014, 04:49 PM
cobrajocky

Originally Posted by collector1231
I'd go with the Ruckus. It is more appealing to kids, and is designed for new drivers. Those DHK, at least with my experience, are total crap. My HP Outlaw (same company, different name), is always breaking, and the front wheels do not spin. I've done everything I could to it, but still..... it sucks. Go with the Ruckus. You won't regret it.
The Ruckus WAS NOT even a Hobby People (Global Hobbies) product! It's a Horizon Hobby product they import and HP sold as a dealer while looking for their own product line. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...k-rtr-ECX03012

It is hardly honest to blame your problems with the Ruckus on Hobby People! My grandson (7) has a DHK Wolf which he's now starting to club race and I have a DHK Hunter Brushless I've been racing a while. DHK makes their cars and trucks entirely themselves except for the electronics (ESC, Motors and Servos are HobbyWing a highly regarded manufacturer in electric planes, boats and cars; and of course DHK does not make their own Nitro motors.) DHK also makes parts (suspension, body parts and chassis) for other well known RC upper level brands. That's how they got their experience to make their own RC off-roaders, which Global (HP) is the exclusive North American importer and Distributor. RC Car Action in a full review gave the Hunter an excellent ready to race rating.

The ONLY weak link in the DHK lower priced trucks is using a plastic gear steering servo, which just won't last long in any RC Truck or Buggie, so you spend $20 and put in a Metal Gear one. Otherwise, the "1/10th" scale DHK Hunter is based mostly on their own 1/8th scale full race electric Zombie Truggy, a pretty nice pedigree.

Try not to bash something you have misinformation on. Thanks

DHK 1/10th Hunter BL - 1/10 Hunter BL Chassis - 1/8th Zombie (75% the same)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TestDrive_DHKHunter_Action.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	2011016   Click image for larger version

Name:	C-DHK8331_f.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	2011017   Click image for larger version

Name:	DHK Zombie 4WD EP Truggy_f.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	2011018  
Old 07-03-2014, 08:12 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd avoid the Tacon models unless you want to order all you parts from overseas. That could be dodgy. The only place I've seen carry them are HobbyPartz and NitroRCX (the same company). While I like HobbyPartz, sometimes their stock is out, and you have to wait months for something to come back in, which would suck if you broke a suspension arm.

$175 isn't much of a budget, considering you need batteries and a charger too. Plus lubes, tools, etc.

I've admired the look of the build quality of the DHK models. They look pretty good. I'll vouch for the HobbyWing electronics. And agree that most RTRs come with really cheap servos. Get a decent one and you'll be happy.

Oh, I just would rather see you get Lipo than use NiMh packs. Brushless systems will suck the guts out of NiMh packs, over-heat them, and soon they die. And NEVER EVER use the crappy Tamiya-style Molex batt connectors! Use Traxxas or Deans or EC3.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:14 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lladna
Thanks for the feedback. Definitely leaning towards Torment or Ruckus, which as I can understand are essentially the same truck with different body setups.
Will go visit HobbyTown tomorrow.
Extra battery or larger battery for them?
Thanks again!
ive had a ecx torment and liked it. it is not on the level of my SC10rs....but then it is under $200. it had good durability, handled pretty well, had good traction and even the body held up well.

batteries are rated by volts (the number of cells) and the MAH (capacity and thus runtime)
look for something in the 4000 to 5000mah range. these will provide very reasonable runtimes.

Last edited by nitrosportsandrunner; 07-03-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:40 PM
DieHarder

Deans plugs for sure. There is no better way.