Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

battery charger question turnigy acucell 6

Old 02-09-2014, 01:18 PM
funkybunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery charger question turnigy acucell 6

I bought the turnigy acucell 6 for my lipo batteries for my airplane. Now that im into these rc trucks i have a few nimh batteries but i am unsure how im suppose to charge it safely on this system. unlike the lipo batteries the nimh battery charge dosnt appear to have the ability to input volts amp hours of charge so im curios about a few things. question one what is the amount of charging amps that is safe to charge these batteries typically 6 cell 7.4 volt 1500 and 3000 mAh. question two how do I know when to complete the charge? just look at the millamps that have been charged in a setting the charger displays that info realtime as it charges. and remove it when the millamps match the battery capacity. It has a 5000 mah cut off but none of these batteries are that big. And lastly I have a 7 cell battery from traxxas I am thinking since this battery displays only 6 cells that might mean it can not charge a 7 cell battery is that true?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:25 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use the MAN (manual) setting for NiMh instead of the AUT )automatic). In manual mode you press the right button and the amperage flashes and pressing the middle two buttons increases or decreases the value. Set the amp value to 1/2C. For your 1500 and 3000 it would be 0.8amps and 1.5amps respectively. Connect the pack and press and hold the right button and it will start charging. When the pack is peaked /full the charger will beep and END the charge.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 PM
funkybunch

ok thanks i wasnt sure if it would recognize a full charge with that setting that says 5000 maH max cutoff. Also I will check but I dont see where you can change from manual to auto charge but i will look again. It was set to manual and i was charging at 1.8 amps on the 1500 maH battery guess it was good that I didnt really let it charge. You tube vids are saying you can charge a nimh at 3 amps. also anyone know about trying to charge a 7 cell battery with this charger?
Old 02-10-2014, 04:41 AM
flyinwalenda

Between 1/2 and 1C is a safe amp setting. The typical 4-button chargers will charge up to a 15 cell Nixx pack.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:49 AM
funkybunch

awsome thank you now i can charge my traxxas battery with my other batteries so 3000 mah 7 cell 8.4 volt should also be charged at 1.5 amps as well?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 AM
flyinwalenda

1/2 to 1C which would be the amp rating of the pack times 0.5 to 1.0.
In that case 3000mah equals 3amps times 0.5 equals 1.5amps and 3amps times 1.0 equals 3amps . So any number from 1.5 to 3.0 amps for a 3000mah pack would be OK.