Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm going to transition to cars and trucks from rc airplanes

Well I decided to transition to rc car from airplanes cuz I hate that weather plays Into a big factor for the hobby of airplanes and it really sux.. I found 3 nice vehicles on ebay that my stepsons and i really like For a very nice price. $180 for the buggy. $130 for the monster truck & truggy.. I wanna get myself the ZD Racing Thunder B10E 1/10 brushless buggy.They will be getting the Raptor 1/16 brushless truck and truggy. But I really dont know much about them cuz it seems nobody has the vehicles and nobody has done any reviews on them.. wat showed to me is that these vehicles are the new 2013-2014 models.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Can't say I've ever heard of any of them personally. I've heard of ZD racing a few times before (I mean literally like 5 or so) in the years I've been posting here so can't say if they are good or not.

Personally I'd see what your LHS has parts support for, or if you don't mind waiting for parts how easy it is to source parts, and how many places stock them. Like for instance the HobbyKing RC's might look like great deals, but getting parts if hobbyking is out is next to impossible. Same with a few other brands like Exceed as there is like ONE distributor in the US that stocks things at questionable rates, and when they are out(and redcat doesn't have the same vehicle) parts are impossible to get.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

I've looked at eBay RCs and really, they are no better priced and sometimes more expensive. I can't speak of the brands you described as I've never seen them, let alone touched one.

A couple suggestions which will help you out...

Take SyCo_VeNoM's point about part availability to heart. I ran vintage cars for a bit and ran into issues where every time I broke something, it was expensive and a long downtime, sometimes a month. I switched my daily runner to a common brand (Traxxas) and for the most part, parts are cheap and can be running within the hour.

You might also find the 1/16 scale to be small and get bored of it quickly.
    If cost is a factor, it may be worth considering a brushed RC and later upgrade to brushless.

Im considering getting the traxxas vxl bandit...

Quote Originally Posted by shepdizzle20 View Post
    Im considering getting the traxxas vxl bandit...
    I have a real soft spot for buggies. If I was to get another traxxas 2wd.... That could be the one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    id recommend looking into some of the better well known manufactures. especially since u already have experience with rc operated toys.

The bandit.... its really an entry level car. the sort of thing u get for ya kids. a lot of people start out with a bandit then realize its not for them and move on to more modern buggies.
    its a great entry level car. but are u looking for a entry level car????

say if u were looking at a brushless bandit u are looking around $300...its a very basic chassis, basic electronics and they tyres are not the best.

For $400 u can get something like a Losi 22... there is just to much to list. in terms on functionability the losi is years ahead.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...1-10-2WD-Buggy

or if u are something a little cheaper, $249 and still miles ahead of a rustler
    Team Associated B4.2 Brushless RTR
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-24GHz-Radio
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Well I'm really looking for good vehicles dat we can bash in and have availability to parts.. so we might get all redcat vehicles.. cuz the price values on them is perfect... I need to get 3 good vehicles dats good for bashing...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Redcats are bottom of the barrel (same as exceeds, but have better support), and honestly the $20-30 you save on the redcat vs say the Associated, Losi, Traxxas, or HPI is made up fast in ordering replacement parts.

ECX has some reasonable entry level RC's that can take a beating(they are owned by Horizon who also owns Losi, and Vaterra)

Well the thing is DAT I have a strict budget for 3 vehicles

With a tight budget, stick with the same brand for all 3 if you can. Most have interchangeable parts (pinions, spur gears, etc) which would make your tool and spare part collection a bit easier to manage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I did say ECX they are one of the cheapest best bang for your buck RC's you could get. The lower cost ones are brushed, but hell you could get a BL setup for $70ish that would make em fly http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

Other option would be Tamiya kits like the DF-02 decent buggy if you do the right mods(one of which is basically mandatory that costs $5-6 to do 2-3 of em), and can be built with electronics for under $200 (and if you get the speed urge it can run a brushless motors, and ESC as I use a $76 35A Hobbywing 9t combo in mine)

What would your budget be?

Well my budget went out the window.. I went ahead and bought 3 traxxas vehicles.. I got the boys the Slash & Bandit. I got myself the Mini e-revo vxl.. I spent a lot money for these vehicles. It was the vehicles to get cuz my LHS mostly carry traxxas parts

well traxxas in my opinion is the best choice for you. There may not be the fastest cars stock but you can upgrade later and they do have a good customer support line. my favorite car is my traxxas grave digger. I laugh cuz when i took it to the track last weekend to play it kept up with all the sprint cars and vintage cars they were putting on that same track to practice. The pros out there laughed at it at first but they stopped laughing when I ran a monster truck around the track that was mostly stock as fast or faster than they were running lol

Lol dats so funny @ funkbunch.. I got my E-revo in today... I was very surprised about the power. I had so much fun driving it.. but unfortunately I have to get the boys the redcat racing.. there will be in next week.. ill update to let yall know how they run..

I striped the little bolt dat holds the pinion gear.. idk wat to do to get the pinion off..smh

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Drill it out and replace the pinion or get a pinion puller. They can remove it with out damaging the pinion of motor.

if u get a puller it might pay to buy a few spare grub screws.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200-1-set...13995c0&_uhb=1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by shepdizzle20 View Post
    Lol dats so funny @ funkbunch.. I got my E-revo in today... I was very surprised about the power. I had so much fun driving it.. but unfortunately I have to get the boys the redcat racing.. there will be in next week.. ill update to let yall know how they run..
    If it's the mini e revo... Don't replace parts with genuine traxxas parts... For the same price u can fit RPM parts that won't brake as easily.

Well unfortunately I broke the pinion off the motor shaft. I sent my motor and pinion back to traxxas. I should have it back by next week

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    U sent it back for a broken pinion?? The postage would of been more.

i just keep thinking u really should of started with something 1/2 decent... Oh well, ya stuck with it now

I broke the motor shaft..smh

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Oh wow.... Fair effort... I'd be proud of that.... That's rare
    I wonder what went wrong?

for some reason I thought u broke the pinion of the motor shaft, not brake the shaft, my bad.. That's awesome carnage tho, did u get any pics?
    Last edited by phmaximus; 02-28-2014 at 04:26 AM.

i have alredy sent the motor and pinoin back to traxxas.... hopefully they send me a new motor early next week

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Traxxas are one of the best for customer support, they should get it all sorted for ya.

I hope they send me back motor around the same time my lipos come in...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast