Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Hpi MT2 18SS Electric Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 03:55 PM
BowlEEac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpi MT2 18SS Electric Conversion

Hey guys, I'm new to the site but not new to the rc scene. Just thought I'd share my MT2 electric conversion. This was my first nitro truck but after the motor wore out, I stepped up and bought a savage x so the MT2 sat for quite some time. To the present... I had all the bits from an outdated onroad electric car to convert the MT2 so I decided to experiment with the Novak xrs speed control and 17t speed gems motor and see of it would move the heavier truck.

First off I stripped the chassis down. I made my own servo mounts and electric motor mount. The motor mount uses the stock mounting holes in the MT2 chassis. An axial battery tray of some sort (can't remember which model) was used to hold the battery on its edge. I used traxxas turnbuckles as upper chassis support. That pretty much finished the conversion, it went quite smoothly.

The Novak xrs speed control and speed gems motor were a little disappointing though. I started off the the stock 15/49 pinion/spur combo which had an okay top speed but was very lacking in acceleration. I switched the pinion to an 11 tooth which was better but the truck still lacked acceleration. Last weekend we fried the esc, it found some water and wasn't happy with its little splash. This was a good chance to upgrade. To replace the outdated brushed esc/motor combo I purchased a castle creations sidewinder 3/neucastle 1406 4pole 4600 kv motor combo. At $130 I thought that the price was good, considering the performance gains I had been reading I should expect.

I installed the new motor/esc combo on Monday night and after a little time programming the esc I was happily testing out my purchase. It's fantastic! This is such an improvement over what I started with its incredible. The 11/49 pinion/spur combo is spot on for the motor giving it lots of down low grunt and enough top end speed to satisfy my driving style. It's running off a 5000mah nimh 6cell right now, because that's what I had. But the sidewinder and motor are rated for a 3s lipo so I think that will be my next improvement to this truck. The 3s may be overkill I know, but I'm willing to try it.

This is is my first brushless offroad electric rc and I love it! No tuning, no burnt out glow plugs, and no broken pull starts. Just plug in a charged battery and enjoy.

ill update with some more pictures later on today. But he's one of the completed conversion

Old 02-20-2014, 05:17 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks nice
I've done similar, and ended up stripping it for parts.

One of my current side projects is a RS4 Rally(one of the things I stripped the MT2 for parts for) that is a mix of the RS4 Rally, RS4 Evo 3, and Mt1 parts. Kinda hit a dead end cause I either have to move the servo to the side the battery is on, or have to move the motor to the side the servo is on as its a shorter chassis then the MT2.

That motor mount is completely home made?
Old 02-20-2014, 06:31 PM
BowlEEac

Oh good to hear im not the only crazy one! To answer your question, yes that motor mount is completely home brewed. Its just whittled out or some 3"x 3" 1/4" wall aluminum. I work in a pretty big plant that is half machine shop and half fab shop. The chunk of aluminum was a freebie and the machine shop supplied all the small metric taps to thread the holes for the motor mount bolts
Old 02-20-2014, 08:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ahhhh ok was wondering why it looked machined thought it was a mount off another model you bolted to a custom piece of aluminum.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 PM
BowlEEac

here is a few more pictures with the first not so adjustable motor mount.

Now I'm having issues with the steering knuckles. If i bump anything somewhat hard with one of the front tires the bottom knuckle bolt pulls out, the knuckle leans over and pulls the axle out of the diff cup. Of course the bolt falls out as well so your stuck with a broken truck. I think its time for aluminum knuckles and uprights.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Yea I had to do the aluminum knuckles too I lost like 4 of those damn bolts in a week.
It was a common issue in the old MT2 thread. I also went aluminum C-hubs as GPM sold a set pretty cheap I think I paid $24 for the C-hubs, and knuckles combined a long time ago.

I was also having issues with the one side throwing dog bones left, and right it got so bad I started painting them neon colors so I could find them. Tried the CVD's(i forgot who made em) just to find out they don't fit as the ball on the end was way bigger then the diff cup on the truck... I was so pissed...
Old 02-21-2014, 04:20 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice one, awesome conversion...
Old 02-22-2014, 09:08 AM
prestonlal

Nice job on the conversion! Reminds me of my Super Nitro Rally electric conversion! Never had the problem with the bolts falling out but did experience the left side dog bone popping out ever so often...to fix this I used HPIs solution which was to replace the outdrives on the diff with the silver ones from the Nitro Rush. Never fell out again! Lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1971128   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1202
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1971129  
Old 11-03-2021, 12:36 PM
Mikeb215

Default Mt2 electric

What did you use to make the mount and how did you make it. I'm wanting to do the same to my mt2.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:39 PM
prestonlal

I made mine from a piece of aluminum angle that I got from Home Depot… it’s butt ugly but it works!

Old 11-03-2021, 01:41 PM
prestonlal

Old 11-03-2021, 01:41 PM
prestonlal

Old 11-07-2021, 12:47 AM
TheQuakeKing
My Feedback: (23)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My eyes....and to my dream super rally...the horror.. Now we all know the hpi engines then were underpowered and hard tuning. I am simply kidding. Envy and jelly