Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Whats the best buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Patton112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats the best buy?

My budget us around $200 I can push 230, what is the best buy? I want an off-road car, don't car if it's a buggy or truck, scale, I'm looking at 1/10, I've also been looking at the 1/16 brushed mini e-revo. If there's a nitro out there for that price tell me! Nitro would be tons if fun, I've looked at the redcat racing volcano S30
Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got a tornado s30 I paid 180 for it. Its lots of fun and pretty fast. Tuning is difficult, to me anyways.
For that price redcat will be the best bet. Redcats customer service is top notch. Ive not had to use it though. Its a tough buggy for sure.
I would put fuel tubing(or in my case I used a bit of air hose from my fish tank) in the drive cups to avoid the dog bones flying out ive lost many to that. Also loctite is a friend(blue NOT RED) LOCTITE ALL THE GRUB SCREWS!!! Omg ive lost atleast 10 of those damn things cuz I couldnt get ahold of loctite. The frubs goimg from the tranny needs it and the ones on the diffs need it. Also some spare hinge pins and eclips as well as a pair of extra drive shafts(front and back) wont hurt. While bashing my tornado at a dirt bmx track I managed to snap the drive shaft in half(front one from the tranny)

Also ive bought some cvds so I wouldnt have to use tubing and they r garbage. Broke all 4 in the same day. All I was doing is going up and down my street and jumpimg off my curb. Total air distance was ~6" high and out about a foot and a half. Just trying to save u a few $ if u go the redcat route.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131130_160447.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1970675  

Last edited by zackS30; 02-20-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Patton112

Where Dominos you get the tornado FordSmith $180?
Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Patton112

Where Did you get the tornado For $180?
Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO if you want nitro save up another $100 and get a Hyper 7 as the 1/8th scale nitro buggies are built like tanks. I wouldn't go cheaper for nitro as the cheaper engines tune like crap.

Tamiya has the DF-02 kit for $130ish (the $164 has a better ESC included) you need a radio, servo, battery, and charger. There is also a cheap $5 mod that is almost mandatory to do or the hinge that holds the arms on will rip off the chassis(that is the only real issue I ever had, and I got mine going over 4X faster then it was designed ) Its a 4wd buggy (I own 2 of em). After I did that mod I've not broke a single part on it.

If you like MT's HPI has the Wheely king for $215(last I looked) RTR umm could use a better battery, and charger as the included ones are kinda crappy. Just note its a monster truck, and drives like a monster truck, and the name of it is pretty accurate description (own one)

There are some RTR's 2wd vehicled by ECX that are pretty good value for the cash that are under $200 (only thing mentioned I don't own, but known people on here that have)

The mini revo I own one I find it blah in stock form. IMO it needs upwards to $100 in aftermarket parts to make it decent. (I own one)

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 02-20-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:51 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ebay. Im on ebay 25/8.
I got the tornado s30 with a starter kit for 180. I only found the one with the kit though. The rest were 180 just for the buggy and u still needed the starter kit. Fuel is about 30$ a gallon.

I use USD, im not sure ur in the u.s as well. Sorry I should have mentioned that.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:23 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patton, you're asking about a car for around $200. They can be had, but do you realize there are several other things you'll need as well, that you need to include in your budget? Things like a couple batteries ($25-$40 a pop) a charger for those batteries (another $50), some basic tools - screwdrivers, hexdrivers, pliers, lubes, etc. What is your driving experience? Been in it a while, or are you completely new to the hobby?

Have you looked at the Vaterra Khalahari? They can be had for around $120-$130, and it comes with a brushless system and a six-cell Nimh pack and wall charger. It's pretty quick for its size. And you'd still have some $$ left for tools and maybe a better charger. But the wheels are kind of small. Not sure how well it would do on a rough track. I'm told they do pretty well.

$200 is pretty slim pickins, especially if you don't already have the support hardware. Consider saving up a little more.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:24 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Patton, you're asking about a car for around $200. They can be had, but do you realize there are several other things you'll need as well, that you need to include in your budget? Things like a couple batteries ($25-$40 a pop) a charger for those batteries (another $50), some basic tools - screwdrivers, hexdrivers, pliers, lubes, etc. What is your driving experience? Been in it a while, or are you completely new to the hobby?

Have you looked at the Vaterra Khalahari? They can be had for around $120-$130, and it comes with a brushless system and a six-cell Nimh pack and wall charger. It's pretty quick for its size. And you'd still have some $$ left for tools and maybe a better charger. But the wheels are kind of small. Not sure how well it would do on a rough track. I'm told they do pretty well.

$200 is pretty slim pickins, especially if you don't already have the support hardware. Consider saving up a little more.
The vaterras doubled in price on ebay or I would have suggested one. They went up like last month, and have not come down at all since (I checked a few times when people asked for suggestions)
Just glad I got one when I did