Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

slash vxl issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:33 PM
LR260

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slash vxl issues.

Hey people. I am having an issue with my slash vxl that I would love some input on. I have overheated the motor a few times. I didnt realize how hot they would get. My issue since I bought the truck brand new is after about five min of run time if I miss a turn or have to stop my truck wont go again in forward or reverse unless I walk up and nudge it then it goes fine till I stop again. I sent it in and traxxas diagnosed a faulty esc and replaced it. I got it back and it still did it so I just decided to deal with it and run it. A few weeks later I noticed the motor sounded a little off so I took it apart and found I had overheated it as some of the epoxy on the windings had melted (oops). So I thought maybe this had been the issue. I bought a new motor and it does the same thing. Can you guys please give me some advice on where to go from here. Do I invest in another traxxas esc or do I need to buy another brand and throw in it. I got some good advice on how to run it cooler on another forum but no one seemed to have experience this problem. Thank you for your input.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:56 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow man that must of been hot to melt the epoxy... Wow awesome job

when the car won't move does it make a funny clicking noise?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:46 PM
LR260

No. Just doesn't go. Old motor still works too but only as good as the new one. That's kind of why I'm at a loss.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:19 PM
phmaximus

Only thing I can think of is the punch for the ESC has failed
Old 03-01-2014, 06:26 PM
LR260

Hmm. Well I guess it's a new esc as well. Nothing to lose. Maybe I should just buy a different brand and start from scratch. Who makes a good durable set up. I have heard of tekin and castles but I'm not sure what will be good for back yard racing with a little track racing mixed in.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:30 AM
phmaximus

For a slash I would look at the hobbywing ezrun ESC, cheap reliable and all the settings u will ever need.
for a 2wd slash 35a to 60a
for a 4x4 slash 60-120a
Old 03-02-2014, 06:53 AM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the problem is with the batteries?
Ive read some batteries wont work with certain systems if the C rating isnt high enough.

Just throwing this out there to cover everything.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:52 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked your mesh? If the mesh is too tight, that could contribute to overheating. Good way to set it, is to use a plain piece of paper. Mash it firmly between the pinion/spur and tighten the screws. Roll the paper out, and mesh should be set.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:27 PM
phmaximus

Good point rob..... Rolling resistance.... Gear mesh, failed bearing..... Or I've seen before..... Seized uni joints on the plastic sliders or seized sliders
Old 03-06-2014, 08:41 PM
LR260

I've been through it pretty thorough and it's got no resistance. But that's been after I found the motor had gotten so hot. I'm going to try a new esc. I most likely over heated this old one from what everyone has told me.