Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Just Bought a Roller- How to Set it Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:45 AM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought a Roller- How to Set it Up

Just snagged a brand new Durango DEST210 roller off of ebay. After seeing my buddy with the short course version I couldn't pass it up. Looks like an amazing truck. Now the question is, how to set it up. Any tips or opinions would be appreciated. Never had a race specific truck before and really don't have a permanent track to run it on (although we do setup a portable track once a month for racing). These are what I was thinking for setting it up:

ELECTRONICS:
1. ESC- Traxxas VXL3s Speed Control (not my first choice but got it for $40 brand new so it'll do for now)
2. motor- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCMBF&P=7
3. servo- http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...FW9p7AodkRMAzQ

Just look at her:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	1974014  
Old 03-02-2014, 09:42 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Nice! Those Team Durango things are really race-ready. I was thinking about buying one myself, but saw the 801XT was 128. Didn't buy that either. Ended up buying a monitor, LOL!

Here is where I would check out setups; http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango...goDEST210.html
Old 03-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Next edition

Looks very neat Sounds like you already got it sorted maybe just heatsink and fan for motor and a fan for the esc.

Whats the gearing you plan on running,maybe get a few cheap pinions intill you get the feel for the torque/speed you want then buy the steel types,mst-robinson racing.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:51 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know, if u are planing to race u might be better off investing in something sensored.

I don't see it been that different to the rustler u use to have. So setups will start off the same
Old 03-02-2014, 04:32 PM
thehuntingterminator

Originally Posted by phmaximus
I don't know, if u are planing to race u might be better off investing in something sensored.

I don't see it been that different to the rustler u use to have. So setups will start off the same
I am planning on running it sensored. Hence the $80 sensored Trakpower motor and VXL ESC (sensor capable)...
Old 03-03-2014, 08:33 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You DID note the caveat about the Savox servo, right? Those things suck so much power, they often require and external BEC, and they're very pricey, considering. Get yerself a nice HiTec instead. And probably at half the cost. My LHS won't even carry them.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:39 AM
thehuntingterminator

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
You DID note the caveat about the Savox servo, right? Those things suck so much power, they often require and external BEC, and they're very pricey, considering. Get yerself a nice HiTec instead. And probably at half the cost. My LHS won't even carry them.
Already running a Savox 1231SG on my Wraith and I love it. Was a little trouble installing a BEC (which I later replaced with a glitch buster for simplicity) but other than that they are great servos. I've had Hitecs and Airtronics servos in the past and they're definitely just as good if not better, but they were pretty easily double the cost of a Savox, or at least in my experience. I did order a glitch buster with that Savox and I'm sure it'll be fine in that stadium truck. The one in my Wraith has to be drawing a ton more current (crawlers are hard on servos) and a single Novak glitch buster did the job, so I'm not worried. I'll let ya' know what I find.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:42 AM
thehuntingterminator

Originally Posted by Next edition
Looks very neat Sounds like you already got it sorted maybe just heatsink and fan for motor and a fan for the esc.

Whats the gearing you plan on running,maybe get a few cheap pinions intill you get the feel for the torque/speed you want then buy the steel types,mst-robinson racing.
I've already got a few pinions laying around but I may grab one of those three packs just so I have some options. For once I'm actually not worried about heat at all. It's a pretty light truck and the motor mount is aluminum (heat sink for the motor right there!) and the ESC should run cool on 2s which is really all that truck is gonna need anyway.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:44 AM
thehuntingterminator

Ordered some Proline Sand Paws so I can go play in the sand where I go crawl, and some Proline Gladiators for the dirt. For now I'm keeping stock tires up front, but we'll see how long that last.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:42 PM
collector1231

I replaced my Savox because it drew too much power and caused the receiver to stop. Swapped it out for a Hitec something-or-other. Much better now.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:06 PM
thehuntingterminator

Originally Posted by collector1231
I replaced my Savox because it drew too much power and caused the receiver to stop. Swapped it out for a Hitec something-or-other. Much better now.
Yeah I've heard really good things about the Savox's along with some negative here and there (mainly just complaints about the amount of current they draw) but so far I've loved mine and that's pretty much all my LHS sells as far as aftermarket servos go unless someone wants to order something. But I think they're just like anything else mass manufactured. Some people love them, some don't.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:26 AM
phmaximus

Originally Posted by thehuntingterminator
I am planning on running it sensored. Hence the $80 sensored Trakpower motor and VXL ESC (sensor capable)...
My bad....doh!, I did notice the traxxas ESC and just assumed u were going to use sensorless lol
Dident even notice the motor... Mainly because I try to avoid clicking on links when I'm on the iPad

personally I would forget about the traxxas ESC and look into a Novak
impact, edge, pulse or GTB3 depending on ur requirements...

A quality car should have quality electronics. The advantages that the Novak ESC and motors have is unchallenged by a company like traxxas. One analogy would be putting a traxxax combo into a Durango would be like putting a Mitsubishi Rallyart motor into a le mans racing car... I'm sure it will work... It's just sacrilege....Gerd Strenge would have a fit if he knew his brand was tainted by traxxas.

well the only real setup tip I have.......
dont bother with mid motor configuration on loose surfaces... Its a awesome configuration on high traction surfaces just not the loose stuff.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:40 PM
thehuntingterminator

Originally Posted by phmaximus
My bad....doh!, I did notice the traxxas ESC and just assumed u were going to use sensorless lol
Dident even notice the motor... Mainly because I try to avoid clicking on links when I'm on the iPad

personally I would forget about the traxxas ESC and look into a Novak
impact, edge, pulse or GTB3 depending on ur requirements...

A quality car should have quality electronics. The advantages that the Novak ESC and motors have is unchallenged by a company like traxxas. One analogy would be putting a traxxax combo into a Durango would be like putting a Mitsubishi Rallyart motor into a le mans racing car... I'm sure it will work... It's just sacrilege....Gerd Strenge would have a fit if he knew his brand was tainted by traxxas.

well the only real setup tip I have.......
dont bother with mid motor configuration on loose surfaces... Its a awesome configuration on high traction surfaces just not the loose stuff.
Oh I hear ya bro but I really am trying to convince myself to wait and make sure I like the truck before going for a nice system...as if I already haven't spent $400 on it and still haven't driven it lol. Novak has some stuff out there for around $150 which id be interested in but I had a bad experience with them when I had the 21.5t setup on my Losi comp crawler, so I'm not too sure about them. For now I've got a Castle 5700kv in it and it scoots pretty good the little I've tested it. That really wasn't my first choice in motor but got it for $30 and I figured it was worth just using it to get a feel for the truck. Got all three sets of tires ready so hopefully this week I'll get to have a little fun.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:17 PM
phmaximus

Cool man, I'm really interested in ur thoughts, please do keep us posted
Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 PM
thehuntingterminator

Some pics with the new tires:

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	1977166   Click image for larger version

Views:	51
Size:	957.5 KB
ID:	1977167  
Old 03-12-2014, 05:13 PM
thehuntingterminator

Went and ran for the first time tonight. Car runs great. The old Castle CM36 5700kv that I have on there is major overkill. Even with the hard stock tires it wanted to wheelie. After a good 10-15 minute run, temps were only in the 120s on the ESC and motor. Very happy with that. This car DOES NOT handle like a Rustler at all. It's definitely a true race truck. Much lighter and more agile. Only area where I see significant room for improvement is front tire traction. This is likely partly due to having so much power which lifts the front end up fairly easily, but the front tires have a tendency to "skate" when I try to turn. Of course it could also be the ribbed tires which are fairly hard. Pics and video coming in a minute.

Also, please let me know if you have any questions about this car (or the short course version because my buddy has one) and I'll help you out the best I can. Everything I've seen from Durango so far is top notch but they seem slow to catch on in the US, so let me know if you have any concerns about grabbing one. I'll fill you in the best I can.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:30 PM
thehuntingterminator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I1Ae0DhcNI
Old 03-12-2014, 05:35 PM
thehuntingterminator

After the run:

Views:	41
Size:	2.28 MB