Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Results 1 to 18 of 18

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Posts
    3,544
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

    Just Bought a Roller- How to Set it Up

    Just snagged a brand new Durango DEST210 roller off of ebay. After seeing my buddy with the short course version I couldn't pass it up. Looks like an amazing truck. Now the question is, how to set it up. Any tips or opinions would be appreciated. Never had a race specific truck before and really don't have a permanent track to run it on (although we do setup a portable track once a month for racing). These are what I was thinking for setting it up:

    ELECTRONICS:
    1. ESC- Traxxas VXL3s Speed Control (not my first choice but got it for $40 brand new so it'll do for now)
    2. motor- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCMBF&P=7
    3. servo- http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...FW9p7AodkRMAzQ

    Just look at her: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	1974014
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

  2. #2
    collector1231's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    A place in a place.
    Posts
    2,403
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Nice! Those Team Durango things are really race-ready. I was thinking about buying one myself, but saw the 801XT was 128. Didn't buy that either. Ended up buying a monitor, LOL!

    Here is where I would check out setups; http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango...goDEST210.html

  3. #3
    Looks very neat Sounds like you already got it sorted maybe just heatsink and fan for motor and a fan for the esc.

    Whats the gearing you plan on running,maybe get a few cheap pinions intill you get the feel for the torque/speed you want then buy the steel types,mst-robinson racing.

  4. #4
    phmaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    6,177
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I don't know, if u are planing to race u might be better off investing in something sensored.

    I don't see it been that different to the rustler u use to have. So setups will start off the same
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Posts
    3,544
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by phmaximus View Post
    I don't know, if u are planing to race u might be better off investing in something sensored.

    I don't see it been that different to the rustler u use to have. So setups will start off the same
    I am planning on running it sensored. Hence the $80 sensored Trakpower motor and VXL ESC (sensor capable)...
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

  6. #6
    EXT2Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Placerville, CA
    Posts
    1,569
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You DID note the caveat about the Savox servo, right? Those things suck so much power, they often require and external BEC, and they're very pricey, considering. Get yerself a nice HiTec instead. And probably at half the cost. My LHS won't even carry them.
    Just a schmoe....

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Posts
    3,544
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by EXT2Rob View Post
    You DID note the caveat about the Savox servo, right? Those things suck so much power, they often require and external BEC, and they're very pricey, considering. Get yerself a nice HiTec instead. And probably at half the cost. My LHS won't even carry them.
    Already running a Savox 1231SG on my Wraith and I love it. Was a little trouble installing a BEC (which I later replaced with a glitch buster for simplicity) but other than that they are great servos. I've had Hitecs and Airtronics servos in the past and they're definitely just as good if not better, but they were pretty easily double the cost of a Savox, or at least in my experience. I did order a glitch buster with that Savox and I'm sure it'll be fine in that stadium truck. The one in my Wraith has to be drawing a ton more current (crawlers are hard on servos) and a single Novak glitch buster did the job, so I'm not worried. I'll let ya' know what I find.
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Posts
    3,544
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Next edition View Post
    Looks very neat Sounds like you already got it sorted maybe just heatsink and fan for motor and a fan for the esc.

    Whats the gearing you plan on running,maybe get a few cheap pinions intill you get the feel for the torque/speed you want then buy the steel types,mst-robinson racing.
    I've already got a few pinions laying around but I may grab one of those three packs just so I have some options. For once I'm actually not worried about heat at all. It's a pretty light truck and the motor mount is aluminum (heat sink for the motor right there!) and the ESC should run cool on 2s which is really all that truck is gonna need anyway.
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Posts
    3,544
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ordered some Proline Sand Paws so I can go play in the sand where I go crawl, and some Proline Gladiators for the dirt. For now I'm keeping stock tires up front, but we'll see how long that last.
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

  10. #10
    collector1231's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    A place in a place.
    Posts
    2,403
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I replaced my Savox because it drew too much power and caused the receiver to stop. Swapped it out for a Hitec something-or-other. Much better now.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Posts
    3,544
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by collector1231 View Post
    I replaced my Savox because it drew too much power and caused the receiver to stop. Swapped it out for a Hitec something-or-other. Much better now.
    Yeah I've heard really good things about the Savox's along with some negative here and there (mainly just complaints about the amount of current they draw) but so far I've loved mine and that's pretty much all my LHS sells as far as aftermarket servos go unless someone wants to order something. But I think they're just like anything else mass manufactured. Some people love them, some don't.
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

  12. #12
    phmaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    6,177
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by thehuntingterminator View Post
    I am planning on running it sensored. Hence the $80 sensored Trakpower motor and VXL ESC (sensor capable)...
    My bad....doh!, I did notice the traxxas ESC and just assumed u were going to use sensorless lol
    Dident even notice the motor... Mainly because I try to avoid clicking on links when I'm on the iPad

    personally I would forget about the traxxas ESC and look into a Novak
    impact, edge, pulse or GTB3 depending on ur requirements...

    A quality car should have quality electronics. The advantages that the Novak ESC and motors have is unchallenged by a company like traxxas. One analogy would be putting a traxxax combo into a Durango would be like putting a Mitsubishi Rallyart motor into a le mans racing car... I'm sure it will work... It's just sacrilege....Gerd Strenge would have a fit if he knew his brand was tainted by traxxas.

    well the only real setup tip I have.......
    dont bother with mid motor configuration on loose surfaces... Its a awesome configuration on high traction surfaces just not the loose stuff.
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Posts
    3,544
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by phmaximus View Post
    My bad....doh!, I did notice the traxxas ESC and just assumed u were going to use sensorless lol
    Dident even notice the motor... Mainly because I try to avoid clicking on links when I'm on the iPad

    personally I would forget about the traxxas ESC and look into a Novak
    impact, edge, pulse or GTB3 depending on ur requirements...

    A quality car should have quality electronics. The advantages that the Novak ESC and motors have is unchallenged by a company like traxxas. One analogy would be putting a traxxax combo into a Durango would be like putting a Mitsubishi Rallyart motor into a le mans racing car... I'm sure it will work... It's just sacrilege....Gerd Strenge would have a fit if he knew his brand was tainted by traxxas.

    well the only real setup tip I have.......
    dont bother with mid motor configuration on loose surfaces... Its a awesome configuration on high traction surfaces just not the loose stuff.
    Oh I hear ya bro but I really am trying to convince myself to wait and make sure I like the truck before going for a nice system...as if I already haven't spent $400 on it and still haven't driven it lol. Novak has some stuff out there for around $150 which id be interested in but I had a bad experience with them when I had the 21.5t setup on my Losi comp crawler, so I'm not too sure about them. For now I've got a Castle 5700kv in it and it scoots pretty good the little I've tested it. That really wasn't my first choice in motor but got it for $30 and I figured it was worth just using it to get a feel for the truck. Got all three sets of tires ready so hopefully this week I'll get to have a little fun.
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

  14. #14
    phmaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    6,177
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Cool man, I'm really interested in ur thoughts, please do keep us posted
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Posts
    3,544
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Some pics with the new tires:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	1977166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	957.5 KB 
ID:	1977167  
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Posts
    3,544
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Went and ran for the first time tonight. Car runs great. The old Castle CM36 5700kv that I have on there is major overkill. Even with the hard stock tires it wanted to wheelie. After a good 10-15 minute run, temps were only in the 120s on the ESC and motor. Very happy with that. This car DOES NOT handle like a Rustler at all. It's definitely a true race truck. Much lighter and more agile. Only area where I see significant room for improvement is front tire traction. This is likely partly due to having so much power which lifts the front end up fairly easily, but the front tires have a tendency to "skate" when I try to turn. Of course it could also be the ribbed tires which are fairly hard. Pics and video coming in a minute.

    Also, please let me know if you have any questions about this car (or the short course version because my buddy has one) and I'll help you out the best I can. Everything I've seen from Durango so far is top notch but they seem slow to catch on in the US, so let me know if you have any concerns about grabbing one. I'll fill you in the best I can.
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Posts
    3,544
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Posts
    3,544
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    After the run:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	1977551   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	1977552  
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 AM.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.