Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

good ideas for adding traction

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Tcook1999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good ideas for adding traction

so ive upgraded to brushless and in this particular vehicle (slash 2wd) well its 2wd and spinning when i even ease into the throttle. the motor i have is running super fast. i lose control so easily and i need some good ideas beside tires that will add traction to my rc.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding stick weights to the rears?
Why not get better tires? Maybe if ur running lipos go down a cell, like 3s to 2s slow it down some.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:00 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its hard to make a suggestion without knowing all the details on the current setup.

generally it's very hard to totally mess up the suspension, well generally... Just rember softer means more grip and stiffer equals more stability. So don't use any preload spacers...

if it's loosing traction very easy, the tyres are useless or the motor is to powerful.

First thing to is check the punch settings.

Just to to help up picture ur current setup
what motor is in it? (Size and KV)
battery voltage
tyres
gearing
Old 03-12-2014, 06:47 PM
Tcook1999

Well i am running this combo http://www.hobbypartz.com/ez-60a-rc-...ar-system.html in it and a 2s lipo i'm just looking for general DIY ways of adding traction its stock gearing btw and i love the speed and handles fine for a super fast motor but it still is just hard to control especially when im running in a tight area. I don't need tires because i have badland tires from proline coming only that my dealer who i ordered them from is waiting for them to be back in stock(its my loacal hobbyshop)
Old 03-12-2014, 09:41 PM
zackS30

from the info sheet its punch is set fairly high from factory. Take the punch down like 2 levels.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Donwebster

Use a softer, wider tires, or slow down.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:41 PM
zackS30

I think the badlands r a bit wider so that there increases the contact patch so ull have a little more traction.
Adjust the punch setting like phmaximus suggestred and I bet its ok.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:15 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow 6000kv... That's a bit keen.

Still recomend setting the timing to zero and setting the punch to level 1.

Try that and report back... I've got more ideas to try
Old 03-19-2014, 05:39 PM
Tcook1999

put the punch lower and it helped and the timing was at 0 I put the punch to one but then i put it to 3 i also started to ease into the throttle instead of just punching it this probably had the most effect.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:06 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tcook - I personally think you are going to have a bigger problem than spinning the tires.

6000KV is way too much motor for a truck the size and weight of a Slash. You also mentioned that you are running stock gearing. I'm sure by now you've noticed that the motor runs extremely hot if you have driven it for more than a couple of minutes.

There really isn't a way to properly gear a 6000KV motor in a Slash as the lowest gearing you can go is 12/90. Persoanlly I would pull that motor and put something a little more tame in it. 3500KV is about right and 4600 should be considered the upper limit.

Making this switch will also cure the problem with traction as the motor won't be so violent. Regardless of what you do you need to monitor the motor temps. When they start to creep up around 160F you need to either change the gearing (lower) or shut ti off and let it cool.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:21 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 What John said. Methinks you got a bit too much motor there, friend. 6000kv? Phweeew!! Yeah, that sucker'll be a rocket in a straight line, providing you can get a good launch. But off-road, you're just gonna spin tires, and have a devil of a time trying to keep it under control. That's why the guys who race short course use motors in the 3000kv range. Or less, if running 3S. I had a Castle 4-pole 5700kv motor system in my little 3.5lb 2wd Evader and it was fast as hell, but difficult to run around a track or race course. Once I put a physically smaller 4600kv motor in it, it was much more well-behaved, and my lap times actually got better, since the car was easier to drive. But it's also true that Throttle Control is as important as anything else. Have fun!