Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

1/8 buggy recommendation budget $600

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 PM
toothless23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 buggy recommendation budget $600

I'm getting back into RC cars, been out for few years and want to build a 1/8 buggy, budget of around $600 any recommendations? This will be for bashing and some speed runs 70-80mph is what i'm looking for with durability

I was contemplating on getting a slash 4x4 roller doing the backslash conversion and getting mamba monster but this was done years ago, so there may be better alternatives. I will run 4-6S set up. Already have radio, batteries, charger and tools.

thanks
Old 04-04-2014, 09:00 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ummm... The only thing I can think that's got a ESC that can handle 6s with a speed claim of 73mph is the HPI vorza flux $644
http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...-w-24GHz-Radio

There is AE RC8.2e RTR but I don't know if it will hit the speeds u want with the stock ESC and motor $499
http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...z-Radio-System

if it was me... I would buy a brand new 6s capable ESC and motor combo. Decent set of batteries and use the rest to buy the best secondhand 1/8 buggy or Truggy roller I can find.

Example, one day I want to get into 1/8 buggy racing.... Last year I found a nitro Losi 8ight 2.0 EU roller for $150.....
I've fitted a 8ight 8 2.0 body that I picked up for $15 and I've serviced the shocks and diff...it's been sitting since. (No money)
my plan is to fit a Teckno v4 brushless conversion kit/chassis $120 and some new lightened diff cups $30(stock ones are worn)
then I'll have a 1/2 new ready to go chassis minus electronics for 1/2 the price of a new losi 8ight e kit with a chassis that's said to be better.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:44 PM
toothless23

Phmaximums,

As as you stated, I will probably go with a roller. My question is which are some of the recommendations. I saw the AE RC8.2e but I would have to swap out the esc and motor.

Most buggies I saw can handle 3-4s. Therefore, I'm contemplating on mamba monster Waterproof ESC w 2650kv motor. $250 new. That leaves me with $350 for roller which limits my choices.

I saw OFNA nexx8 new roller for $199 but not sure how good it is. Again, any suggestions are appreciated
Old 04-04-2014, 11:03 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to be that guy, but, getting a redcat is so cheap. Yeah there not the most durable thing out there BUT with a 600$ budget u could do some durable upgrades and have enough to go crazy on the esc/motor and batteries.
Thats just my 2cents.
Other than that I think the slash would be a good idea, heard alot of good things about ofna though, thunder tiger too.
Castle or hobby wing may be the way to go as well
U said u have batts. like nimh? Nicd? Lipos have a rediculous power difference and run times. If ur going brushless all the other batts will litteraly die.

Last edited by zackS30; 04-04-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:18 AM
phmaximus

Originally Posted by toothless23
Phmaximums,

As as you stated, I will probably go with a roller. My question is which are some of the recommendations. I saw the AE RC8.2e but I would have to swap out the esc and motor.

Most buggies I saw can handle 3-4s. Therefore, I'm contemplating on mamba monster Waterproof ESC w 2650kv motor. $250 new. That leaves me with $350 for roller which limits my choices.

I saw OFNA nexx8 new roller for $199 but not sure how good it is. Again, any suggestions are appreciated
Thats the thing.... The 6s capable electronics are the killer... And $350 doesn't leave much to pick from and u will still need a decent servo...or u stretch the budget and get a Vorza.

is secondhand something u would consider??
Old 04-05-2014, 02:33 AM
phmaximus

More ideas...
$199 Ofna LX-2E
$249 Ofna Nexx8
$279-$299 Hot Bodies Ve8
$369 Serpent 811-Be cobra sport
Old 04-05-2014, 07:53 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phmaximus
More ideas...
$199 Ofna LX-2E
$249 Ofna Nexx8
$279-$299 Hot Bodies Ve8
$369 Serpent 811-Be cobra sport
Nexx8 has one issue, and that is you need kind of a funky sized motor for it as the motor space is kinda limited due to its design. I watched a few reviews for that buggy, and that was the only issue the reviewers had with it. One of the reviewers was biased against it thinking it would suck at start, and said it so far was one of his favorite buggies by the end so IMO that says alot about it .
But for the OP's purpose in wanting an insane speed machine I doubt it would suit his purpose.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you start going over about 50mph heat in the motor can be an issue and if geared high enough cool down time may be needed. To minimize heat with high speeds you need a big motor and that is where I'd start. Something like a Leopard 4082 or even 4092 will allow you to make more than one back to back run and maybe some continuous running at 70mph with a good heatsink and fan. If you get bored with 1/8 buggy the motor will also be excellent for a truggy or monster truck. Now take your leftover funds and buy a buggy.

the rc8.2e stock motor and esc will probably push it past 60mph but it's going to be working really hard. It's also going to work the 4s pack pretty hard too. The Vorza will go faster easier but it's going to need some cool down time after a couple passes. Bigger motors minimize the cool down time. I had a LX1e with Castle MMM, 1518 (1800kv) motor on 5s geared for just under 60mph. I never touched the gearing and ran it like that all the time, on all surfaces, all day long with no fan and no heat issues because of the bigger motor. If I wanted to do that with a Castle 1515 (2200kv) same motor as the Vorza I was limited to more like 45-50mph.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:48 AM
toothless23

I'll look at the recommended ones.

As as far as batteries I have several 2s-4s lipos 5000 mah along with 1/8 tires and few high torque servos. So my only hold up is what roller to go with. I have a slash that does about 70mph figure a buggy should be able to do the same. If not 60mph may have to do
Old 04-06-2014, 04:14 AM
phmaximus

Next option...... I'm a little scared to say because of the backlash.....

$659.........Traxxas X01.....RTR just add batteries.....100mph....

or

$199 Ofna Ultra GTP2 chassis kit
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAGUH
Old 04-07-2014, 08:42 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

The Ofna LX2e is a solid platform. I run mine on 2s with stock electronics. It is not top end fast. But it will rocket out of the hole. Get that and your mamba system, you're only up to $450. Get everything from tower, and you will save at least $50 with their coupon codes. which theres the DX2s radio and receiver, then all you need is a servo
Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 PM
toothless23

Dhmaximus and everyone who has made suggestions,

Think i I might have multiple projects... I will convert my slash to a buggy and maintain the 70mph in buggy format. I will also swap out esc to a hobbywing and try 4S with a leopard or Tacon motor see if I can squeeze out few more mph out of it. Already have 17mm adapters, 1/8 wheels and tires, servos and receivers. Just need the conversion kit $65 online

On top of that, I want a true buggy to see how the slash conversion compares so I'll look at OFNA or hot bodies, my XTM Rail is heavy so I haven't done much jumping with it.

Even though I want off-road capability, the OFNA GTP2 is tempting. Saw some videos online of it doing 100+Mph

Now just need to hide the receipts from my wife...so much for the $600 budget

Slash 4x4, Savage 4.6, XTM Rail, HPI RS4, TC3,
Old 04-07-2014, 07:19 PM
phmaximus

I don't think the slash will make a very good high speed car.... They are not the most stable cars at the best of times.
are u sure that what u want??

Do u at least have a LCG chassis and limited shocks?

or another option... A guy I was helping wanted to convert his 1/8 Atomik Metat Mulisha SCT to a buggy....like want u want to do...
so after a bit of a play on google I found it already existed as a buggy... 1/8 Himoto Shootout.

then comparing a Himoto to a 4x4 slash.... The Himoto looks like its built better on a stronger platform for cheaper
Old 04-07-2014, 08:51 PM
toothless23

I agree. Slash is very unstable at high speeds due to body catching a lot of air and the front bumper. The speed runs I've done have been without body and weighing down the front and even then still unstable. I've seen several people placing a wing up front for downforce with 80mph runs. Figured if I convert the slash to buggy it gets rid of the two prob areas body and front bumper.

On roads are fun but limited to smooth surface.

The AE 1/8 buggy is looking better by the minute.

Or maybe I'll just retrofit my rail with mamba monster since that weights twice as much as the slash if not more. With current setup XTM RAil is about 45mph on 4s with 2000kv motor, MM on 6s will pick up some speed.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:44 PM
toothless23

Placed order today for OFNA LX2e.
I was thinking about getting mamba monster waterproof combo. However, saw some videos where people are using Xerun. Does anyone have experience with Xerun 150A ESC and motors?

Received brushless system for TC3 today. Hobbywing 60a ESC w 3650 3500kv motor, should have gone higher KV, but then again it has decent speed on 3s. We'll see how my 7yr old son controls it. Had not touched the TC3 in years and I had forgotten how much fun road cars are!

Once I complete OFNA buggy and I can see the realiability and toughness I may also get the OFNA GTP2

thanks again to everyone who gave me their valuable input on various buggies