Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

ecx circuit truck project

OK guys I got a ecx circuit truck I'm trying to hop up a bit I already changed the 20t motor for a 17th reedy radon and it's pretty fast but wanting to turn it up another notch without having to go brushless I was thinking a titan 12t what are your guys thoughts and any suggestions I can do to put this truck a step above the local competition

Also will the titan 12t fit if not what will

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Going to brushless is much more efficient and powerful especially with lipos.
    Can size makes a difference as well. 540 is a tad smaller than 550 but 550s offer more power.
    U could play with the pinion and spur, just remember if ur motor gets really hot then then gear down.
    Redcat tornado s30, 13 Xmods, rockslide rs10, axial exo terra, axial scx10 honcho
    Fav. Quote... Only the dead have seen the end of war- plato

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That ESC will burn up with the Titan. Brushless is so cheap, and its silly not to do it. Even with NiMH.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...000Kv_45A.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Its not good for the nimh's on a brushless though?
    Redcat tornado s30, 13 Xmods, rockslide rs10, axial exo terra, axial scx10 honcho

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It doesn't really matter. Traxxas includes NiMH batteries with their VXL Mini E Revo, VXL Slash, etc. Its just not as much power as a LiPO could deliver.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well ok then.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sorry. Was I kind of mean there?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    No no. I just meant that like well ok then I didnt know that.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It does matter..... If the battery can't supply what the motor is asking the voltage drop and possibly ripple. This will cause the Vehicle to clog and if it drops enough volts, the receiver will turn off then back on. As well as that there is a real chance of overheating the battery and frying the ESC.....

im not saying u can't run nimh on brushless setups... I'm saying u can run nimh batteries on medium and above current draw brushless setups. Ie. 1/10 and bigger off-roaders, 1/8 and bigger on roaders.

there is a exception to this rule if u run under geared setups like found in crawlers.
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    For a 13.5, NiMH is fine... right? I've run NiMH 13.5 in a buggy before and it was fine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Something in the 3000kv in a 1/10 buggy would be fine providing its close to stock gearing. it's not really going to be faster than a sport tuned tamiya brushed motor. But will have the ability to provide a lot more torque.

generally we over gear our brushless motors compared to a brushed motors to take advantage of the potential torque. This is when the current draw can considerably increase far beyond what a nimh can supply.

I only recomend experanced hobbyists to use nimh with brushless combos, because there is a real potential to cause damage to the battery and/or ESC.

The only real way to know is, test it with a $30 wattmeter and check the actial current draw...they plug into between the battery and ESC and are very easy to use...

Here is on I used on a video showing the difference in current draw with load and no load.
    Its nothing special, just a slash with a ezrun 35a ESC and a 3900kv motor on 2s with 23/87 gearing (optional gearing it came with)
    as u can see by the video there is no way a nimh could supply the amps needed in this setup. And in the grand scheme I would consider it a very mild brushless setup... After all it's only a 35a ESC and a 380 1/16 motor finned out to 540 1/10 size

LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger