Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Thunder Tiger sparrowhawk xt going brushless Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:23 PM
ManDime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger sparrowhawk xt going brushless Q's

So i got an xt in a package deal and the esc was cheap and wasnt compatible. I went ahead and got the traxxas vxl brushless system since I have traxxas slayer pro and cant get get past the quality and suppport of traxxas. I also got a 7400 mah traxxas lipo. I was just curious as to what would break and can i upgrade anything? What Team Associated vehicle is equivalent to the xt? I have heard the spur gear can break pretty easy. Is there a steel upgrade for the spur gear? This will be for my little brother. I just want it to able to take a decent hit and keep rolling.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:25 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do ya have a local hobby store? If so, you cold take the truck in and have them help you compare parts. If it's a decent store and the guy is knowledgeable enough, he should be able to help you find compatable parts.

What do you have in the radio department? Ya might wanna set the throttle back to 50% while he learns to drive it. That VXL system on full boil will destroy that car if he hits something solid. Put a good bumper on it, like an RPM or T-Bone Racing.

The thing that has saved me the most damage (besides learning to drive, mistakes still happen) is the development of a safety barrier my buddy & I came up with to put around the base of the trees we race around. You know those cheap foam sleeping pads you can get at the sporting goods store? Usually blue, about a half inch thick? We got a few of them, cut them into strips, and wrapped them around the trees. Additionally, and most important, is the addition of safety cones. The cones placed behind the foam then direct energy UP, safely dissipating the force, while the foam adds some cushion. We have hit these, dead on, at full speed, and they've saved us every time.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:22 AM
ManDime

I dont have an issue with trees really. The trees are not invasive in the semi suburban area of south texas. I'll probably just stock up on spur gears and extra parts since this brand is relatively cheap. I thought i'd show yall where i'm at and what i have:
Here's the xt. I have installed adjustable springs all around from a couple of donor rc's that came with the deal.

Here are the donor rc's. I plan to cut up on of the frames to make some custon parts such as a chassis brace and a aluminum steering linkage.

All in all once i'm done it should be a decent little rc. I also plan to get a traxxas 2075 for steering since It still has the stock steering servo i believe. I just like the traxxxas support.
I have looked a the A-arm size and i have found the Traxxas Rustler A-arm is shorted by a 1/4 in so that wont work and the slash arm is shorter than that. I plan to upgrade to aluminum knuckles from Traxxas since they are the same size as the thunder tigers. There isn't much else that needs to be done to it though.... It's gonna be a very solid truck by the time i give it to my brother. I'm still looking into what front bumper will work though cause that is necessary as well.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:02 PM
ManDime

Here's what i tried to do today. I have installed an integy mod1 revo 36 tooth spur gear i had laying around. All I had to was add a bearing then it tighten down the slipper and it works great now. Sadly, the spur is not easy to get out. I have a robinson racing 14 tooth pinion. I plan to get try and see if i can make the robinson racing 40t spur/clutch assembly work if i can. I might just drill a hole and add a pin.