Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Recommend a motor for the DF-03 (Tamiya Dark Impact)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:56 PM
jerrybean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend a motor for the DF-03 (Tamiya Dark Impact)

I'm not looking for insane performance, just a decent good quality motor. I won't be using a lipo. So I would only consider a brushless if it had other non-performance related benefits, such as longer life, easier to maintain etc. Is brushless overkill anyway? It's my girlfriend's first RC car so I don't need it to be crazy powerful.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:58 AM
Northern Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think you may be better off going brushless. They have a bit less maintenance and you do want the buggy to be quick enough to be fun.

You can get a small system (ESC and motor) fairly cheap. If you get one that will support 11.1v, you can always up the battery down the road (don't tell the girlfriend the first time you up the battery).
Old 04-30-2014, 07:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well not sure how different the weight, and gear ratio is from the DF-03 to the DF-02, but in my DF-02 I run a 35A hobbywing 3900kv brushless setup, and that sucker flies.
As for benefits over brushed motors (over torque, and speed)
Less maintenance as there are no brushes to wear out
Cans are sealed for the most part
No plastic bushings that could melt or warp as BL motors use ball bearings(although these can die)
No comms that need cutting (or in most cases just replacing the whole motor as most are not repairable now)

as for crazy powerful the one I said above in my DF-02 make that sucker go around 40mph. stock it went around 11-15 mph Lower KV = slower speeds so if I wanted I could have went 3000kv,and probably been in the 25mph zone.
Only thing is you almost need lipo as NiMh's can't put the power out that the BL setups need.
The only real drawback to BL motors are they suck at low speeds(unless sensored), and will cog. Its part of the reason you need a better batter as brushed you can slowly ramp up the speed lipo some motors won't move till you are at 25% throttle.