Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

I'm back!!! What should I get?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 03:27 PM
chevymanmike1010
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm back!!! What should I get?!?!?

Hi guys, used to be big into this hobby about 3 years ago. Was an hpi savage x fanatic. Well about a Year ago I sold all my Rc trucks. Today my brother let me play with his ecx brushless torment! Damn, now I want back in haha. Want a brushless 1/8 or 1/10 that looks like the hpi apache. I guess they discontinued that model though. So I was looking at a redcat mirage, it's 4wd, 3s an brushless out the box. Those ok? If not what should I get that's not breaking the bank?
Old 05-11-2014, 03:51 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As soon as some of these guys see u said redcat theyll get their panties in a wad, redcat is a good starter rc. Problems exist just like any car. Ive got 2 redcats and havnt had many problems. The mirage seems like a great car, I was going to get that but I got the axial exo instead. They are both setup the same, I just like how the exo looked more scale.

Anyways, u womt be disappointed with a redcat. They have great customer service and they are cheap. Theres all kinds of parts for them. Mostly ebay, waiting for parts doesnt bother me. Same with my exo I have to ebay parts my lhs doesnt have either car.

Welcome back, we all try to help as much as possible.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:12 PM
chevymanmike1010

Thanks man. Honestly I hated the redcat nitro trucks cause we had tons of issues with them. Wanting to get brushless now but idk the diffrences between 2s an 3s or the 3000 mah an stuff. All I know is nitro. Looking at a slash Vxl to
Old 05-11-2014, 04:36 PM
zackS30

Well 2s and 3s would be a lithium polymer battery, 2s being 8.4v(i think) fully charged but is advertised as 7.4v then 3s is 12.6? Advertised as 11.1v. Ur MAH is how long it will run for. Like I have a 5000mah 2s and with my crawler gives me a few hours of play(its brushed abd doesnt go fast) in my axial exo I get maybe 35-45mins of play depending how I run it. .
If ur going brushless its tons of fun but u need to do some reading on how to use them u dont want it getting too hot same with lipos. They have amazing power and run times BUT need a good deal of care, a good charger is ur best friend. I use a thunder charger ac680
It does everything that needs to be done.

My nitro redcatt tornado s3b and I arent on speaking terms lol. I need a clutch and I robbed the servo for my redcat rs10 haha.
The slash is a great one. Ive seen a few guys around me that have them and beat the piss out of them and they keeping going for more.
Ive beat the hell out my axial exo and the one thing thats week is the motor mount. Im on my 3rd one. I have a big heavy brushless motor though so when u hit a curb doing 30 the motor puts a lot of stress on the mount....oops.

If u have more ?'s I have more answers

Oh also on lipo batts u have a C rating which is the discharge rate. I have a 20c which gives plenty of power but I do need a higher one.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:40 PM
chevymanmike1010

Ok well I can get the mirage nib for $230. Comes with a 30c 11.1v 3000 mah battery. I think this will be a good brushless starter rig for me till I learn more about the electric side of things. Seem ok?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:03 PM
zackS30

For sure. But be careful, its hard to stop
Its an addiction. I want a mirage now to go with my exo. Lol
Old 05-11-2014, 06:06 PM
chevymanmike1010

Well I've changed my mind haha ima go with the hpi blitz 109326 with a 3s lipo.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:15 PM
zackS30

Sounds good! That charger I mentioned is only like 55$
Old 05-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Next edition

[QUOTE=chevymanmike1010;11802648]Well I've changed my mind haha ima go with the hpi blitz 109326 with a 3s lipo.[/QUOTE
Hpi all the way.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Next edition
Hpi all the way.
Blitz, and Savage are probably the only 2 things I'd recommend from the current HPI as their newer stuffs quality is questionable at best.

As for the Mirage it has weak hinge mounts according to one owner this post has it mentioned http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...l#post11800144
Nitrosandsportsrunner used to be a redcat dealer so he tried a quite a few of their models, and I'd trust what he said on them. I remember when he was trying to come up with a solution to that problem when he owned that particular model a while back.

Personally redcats to me are fine if you own 1-2 other RC's and don't mind trying DIY ways to fix issues as aftermarket parts for sure won't exist that potentially could solve the problem.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 05-12-2014 at 11:09 AM.