Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Castle 2200kv Motor Bearing Replacement?

Old 05-16-2014, 08:05 PM
BlueBorderRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castle 2200kv Motor Bearing Replacement?

The bearing on the inside of the cap locked up. Its a 15x5x5. The Castle Creations people said to send it in so they can replace the bearing and the end cap, "it takes a special press" but the turn around time is 2 to 4 weeks. So I want to just replace the bearing myself. Can anyone tell me where to look for a 15x5x5 motor bearing?
Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 PM
xNitroAddictx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You got to replace the whole end cap, head over to ebay... Probably 20$ if even.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boca bearings, avid bearings. They have the size bearing you need.

To get the bearing out there is a trick you can try. Pack some grease into the center of the bearing then push the motor shaft into the bearing. You may have to pack more grease into the center of the bearing and try again but if enough pressure builds when you put the motor shaft in the bearing will be pushed out.

Edit: I looked a few threads on another forum that Castle posts in. They don't recommend ceramic bearings and I'd use a small socket to help press the bearing in evenly. The bearing they recommend is a 650ZZ bearing from Minibea (NMB) one of the high RPM versions.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 05-16-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:29 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by xNitroAddictx
You got to replace the whole end cap, head over to ebay... Probably 20$ if even.
You have to replace the whole end cap?? Seriously? Why?

I like Major's suggestion.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
You have to replace the whole end cap?? Seriously? Why?
It's what Castle says you have to do. Since there's access to only one side of the bearing and it's a fairly tight fit the options for getting it out are limited. The tight fit also means putting the new one means more care during installation is needed than for other bearings. Not sure if the end cap is the same but Castle actually uses a little bit of glue on the front bearing to hold it in place.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:28 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Lame