Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

2× 2s or 1×4s battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Northern Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2× 2s or 1×4s battery?

After my last good crash, my 4s 5000mah hardcase founds its inners bust through the case and hang out the end of it. Surprisingly the battery discharges and balances fine.

Anyway, going to use that battery as a backup and pick up a few new primary batteries and am wondering if I should get single 4s batteries or pairs of 2s (all 5000mah).

Which direction would you guys go?

Pairs of 2s batteries will dollar or two more then single packs
Old 05-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That depends on your other vehicles and charging equipment. I only run 1/8 scale and use a 180watt charger so I stick with "brick" packs instead of 2 separate packs. That way there's no Y harnesses on the vehicle or while charging, less connectors, just simpler and easier all around. If your vehicle can take a single brick pack I always recommend getting a single brick pack.

The other problem with combining 2 packs is keeping track of how many runs each has on it. If you run the packs separately it's a good idea to keep an equal number of runs on each so they will age the same and stay in better balance with each other. This can get hard to do if you have more than two 2s packs to keep track of.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Northern Mike

I kind of answered my own question shortly after I posted this.
My primary buggy is a 1/8 and can easily hold the brick batteries (as shown in some of the previous pics I had posted). The extra mess of wires with the Y cable was something I don't want. The cost and weight also makes the single 4s hardcase better then a dual 2s setup.

For my other (winter rustler), its setup to run 4s as well and fits the 4s better then the wider 2s.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:09 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd rather replace a 2S pack than a 4S pack. That aside, placement and so forth may dictate the best choice.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Northern Mike

Originally Posted by chuckk2
I'd rather replace a 2S pack than a 4S pack. That aside, placement and so forth may dictate the best choice.
This is why I was consider the 2 packs vs. the single pack.
If I pick up 4s pack, it will be a 2 or 3 of them or the equivalent in 2s packs.
The upside is if a pack or cell drops, I can mix the packs.

The down side is the pain in the butt of managing and mounting the dual packs. My ofna lx2e and my rustler both use Velcro straps.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:21 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well depends I don't own a 4S pack as my 1/8th scale RC's are all setup for 2 2S packs as they have 2 trays each.
If I had 1 tray I would probably just use 1 4S pack
Old 05-20-2014, 03:57 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

one advantage of a 4s pack over 2x 2s packs.... when charging all 4 cells are been balanced together...

unless u have a fancy charger that can balance two packs together.

id only use 2 packs if the chassis was setup like that for weight balance reasons.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:35 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phmaximus
one advantage of a 4s pack over 2x 2s packs.... when charging all 4 cells are been balanced together...

unless u have a fancy charger that can balance two packs together.
It's actually really easy to put together a y-harness harness for the balance leads to balance charge both packs at once. I didn't want to charge the two 3s packs for my Emaxx and Erevo separately and with the y-harnesses I could charge it as a single 6s.

But as I said before you gotta keep them in pairs and if you run a pack separately try to run them evenly so they age the same and stay in better balance.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 05-20-2014 at 05:42 AM.