Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

I want to buy a servo for my 1/12 car.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 PM
michaelfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to buy a servo for my 1/12 car.

I want to buy a wheel servo for my 1/12 car.My friend from USA told me to use XQ-S4013D,in his web i only can find the specs about 12.8kg/0.11s.but i haven't try,how about his real performance ?
Have anybody used it ?

Hope you can give more advice for me.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:58 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That seems a bit slow, got some good torque for a 1/12 but just,seems a bit slow. I use a savox 1258tg, hitec 645mg, and exi 1227. All of those are pretty strong and have good speed im not sure exactly how fast and the oz-in thhey are I cant remember. But I havemt had any problems with them except the exi, the gear coming off the motor came loose off the saft and I used some sand paper and blue loctite to put it back together. Havent had any more problems with it.
The savox is expensive like 70$. The exi was 25$ and the hitec was 35, I think if u get a hitec 645mg ull be happy.

Imo, metal gears is a must the plastic ones crap out, ive had 4 plastic gear servoss (all from rtr form of my rcs) they all went out 1-2 months into useage.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:40 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zackS30
That seems a bit slow, got some good torque for a 1/12 but just,seems a bit slow. I use a savox 1258tg, hitec 645mg, and exi 1227. All of those are pretty strong and have good speed im not sure exactly how fast and the oz-in thhey are I cant remember. But I havemt had any problems with them except the exi, the gear coming off the motor came loose off the saft and I used some sand paper and blue loctite to put it back together. Havent had any more problems with it.
The savox is expensive like 70$. The exi was 25$ and the hitec was 35, I think if u get a hitec 645mg ull be happy.

Imo, metal gears is a must the plastic ones crap out, ive had 4 plastic gear servoss (all from rtr form of my rcs) they all went out 1-2 months into useage.
yes and no on the gears crapping out it all really depends what RC's they are in.
Like for instance my 1/12th scale jammin .5 CRT stripped a Futaba S3004 servo in 2 minutes where my 1/10th scale df-02 buggy a similar servo has worked happily in for over 2 years prior to even getting the truggy, and is still in the buggy. IMO its mainly the weight of the vehicle that plays part if you need a MG servo or not. The truggy for instance weights quite a bit more then the buggy(the truggy is mainly aluminum where the buggy is 90% plastic) so all the stress of turning, and hits would strip the servo far easier in the truggy.

I'm curious what vehicle it is as some 1/12ths don't use 1/10th scale servos...
Old 06-10-2014, 08:14 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had bad experience with EXI, too. Went thru three D227s within a month. What Syco said about vehicle weight IS true. If your 1/12 car is less than 3lbs, you could get by with a cheap servo. But much more than that, you'd probably want to go with Hitec and metal gears. (Although I had a 645MG crap out in my 4.5lb truggy. Very suprised about that. Ended up getting a $50 Hitec servo for the truggy.) But I still run a $15 servo in my Evader, which only weighs 3.5lbs.

Lot's of guys run Savox servos, but from what I've read, they require an External BEC because of the amps they draw...they tend to "brown-out" some BECs. My LHS won't even carry them. Too expensive and too many problems caused when people install them.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:31 AM
zackS30

Yeah ive heard that savox needs an external bec, my savox is running off of my reciever for my flysky gt3b and works great very fast and strong. Not saying one day under the right circumstances it could brown out my reciever.

Yeah the exi d227 is what ive got, I think I wrote 2227?
I didnt think of wieght being a factor, I just thought usage would make it break. Like crashing or crawling and a wheel getting stuck would just become too much for some cheaper ones.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:56 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah ive heard that savox needs an external bec, my savox is running off of my reciever for my flysky gt3b and works great very fast and strong. Not saying one day under the right circumstances it could brown out my reciever.

Yeah the exi d227 is what ive got, I think I wrote 2227?
I didnt think of wieght being a factor, I just thought usage would make it break. Like crashing or crawling and a wheel getting stuck would just become too much for some cheaper ones.
well for crashing it kinda depends on how good a servo saver you have, and speed lower weight vehicles just apply less force in the crash on those parts. Like on my one DF-02 when I clipped a tire I had the chassis break(before I reinforced said chassis btw), and servo saver snap in half where the Futaba 3004 still work fine.
I've also used a 3004 on my HPI MT2 for steering with no ill effects.
That kinda goes for crawling too as crawlers don't use any kind of servo saver
Old 06-11-2014, 11:27 AM
zackS30

That makes since. My tornado s30 that had the stock hexfly servo(plastic gear) striped and all I had done was break in the engine and then do speed runs. Its got a servo saver too but it doesnt seem to allow a whole lot of movment.
My rs10 had stock lansu servos and both those went out, one motor just quit and the other stripped. I was using my rs10 to rake my yard though lol. I tied the end of a rake to the back and drug it.

everything that syco said makes since to me I under stand where different servos should be used in different cars.

Id still like to know what the OPs car is. If he is even still here? Hes not replied.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Hitec 645MG is actually pretty slow at around .20sec, the .11sec the OP mentioned is pretty darn fast as the fastest servo I've seen is .09sec. If the OP's vehicle is a flyweight 1/12 pan car a mini servo would be a better choice.