Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Steel Spur? How well does it go with other models?

Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel Spur? How well does it go with other models?

Hey, I'm looking to put a steel spur on my Duratrax Evader ST. I looked at a couple ae ones, but started reading stuff about how people were having trouble when the steel spur strips from a bad mesh and ruins the pinion. I thought maybe I could just go to 32P instead and maybe that would solve my spur stripping issue. It looks like the Duratrax Nitro Evader ST plastic spur would fit and it's 32P. So what do you guys think? Steel or plastic? Is steel that much better?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Plastic, yo! Even if you have the perfect mesh, something with the densities of the metal will make them wear out much faster.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:26 AM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got a steel spur in my exo, my plastic on stripped bcuz of where I drive. A bunch of small rocks tore up the teeth. The steel spur just crushes the rocks and keeps going.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:03 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Nate. If you can find a 32-pitch pinion and spur that would work, I think you'd be fine with a steel pinion & plastic spur, in 32p. Does the nitro Evader spur have a surface that would accept the slipper pads ? Or would you run it locked anyway? (A dicey proposition IMO) Plastic (Delrin) to metal is "self-lubricating", and maybe quieter. But then, my buddy put a metal spur gear in his Hyper TT (the Delrin one tends to leak diff fluid, as it tends to warp a little if not carefully torqued) and we thought it would be considerably louder than mine...but it wasn't. Go figure.

Oh, another reason to maybe go 32p: self cleaning! You know how the Evaders need that gear cover to keep debris out of the 48p teeth? There IS NO such cover in the Hypers. Which concerned me at first, but the guys here said nope, that's the way they are, don't worry! And it hasn't been a problem. If you can find a 32-pitch spur/pinion combo to work, I say go for it. Realize that, due to the size of the teeth, your gearing options will be more limited. (And may be even more so if you want them to fit under the gear cover) And I WOULD recommend trying to keep that gear cover. My 32p gears are under the body, not hanging out the hind-end where dirt flung would get flung right on the gears.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:25 PM
DieHarder

Thanks for your input guys!

Rob- I was just thinking about mentioning what you said in your last sentence while I was reading your post. Those 4WD setups are better IMO. As for the slipper pad setup, I have the old ST style top shaft and slipper setup still. I like it because if how many different spur options there are. It looks like the Nitro Evader ST spur would bolt right on like my current Robinison Racing 87T. (1887RRP) I know how those steel spurs are freaky loud (it sounds like stuff is grinding) and if I were to run one, I would have my slipper set to slip (A tight slip though). If I do a 32P Nitro ST spur I plan to lock it up good or possibly if I rethink it, I might do a little slip. I'm hoping it will fit under the gear cover because of the fact that it might chew up some stones if I leave it off, or I might try and mod the cover.

I'm not trying to bling this thing out. The steel spur would be completely for function. The sound of a steel spur (grinding) is not bling in my mind. Bling I believe should be smooth, functional, attractive looks, and well designed. CF stuff is cool too and in the right places can increase performance. Does anyone else have a different 32P plastic spur they would like to mention or know works well for a comparison to the Nitro ST one?