Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Gear case fit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:31 AM
zen3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear case fit.

Can the flm hot body trans case be used with proline trans gears? Can any other cases be used?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:13 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're going to have to be way more specific than that. What model are the FLM and Proline parts for?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:23 PM
zen3

Sorry about that. It's for a slash 2wd
Old 06-20-2014, 05:42 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Proline gears have the same tooth count as the stock Traxxas gears. From what I've read the Proline input shaft and idler will interchange with the Traxxas gears but the input shaft is designed for the Proline slipper clutch. The Proline diff uses larger bearings so it will not fit in the stock Traxxas transmission case or any aftermarket trans case with stock dimensions. You may be able to change bearing sizes to make it fit but you'd have to compare the bearing sizes to know for sure.

Unless you absolutely have to run an aluminum trans case I'd just get the complete Proline transmission. If you have to run an aluminum case there are other options for a better diff. There's the Traxxas Pro diff, FLM diff and a few other diffs from guys making them at home. I don't know any details just saw some snippets on Traxxas forum during my quick 5min search.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:29 AM
zen3

It's a very delicate tranny. The case isn't made for bashing around. It's the case that's the issue for me. One hit or flip the case may shift very slightly on impact or the cap screws are a little tight or lose it makes the case totally out if wack. I know this because it bought a couple cases. I set them up exact right torque everything perfect. Until jumps and flips then got mismeshing of the gears and it just sounded like it was off. I love the performance internally but I think the case is for a couple good races and done till the next. For the reg smasher not a good investment. I have so many extra parts till I found the problems I could build two mor trannys. I really think a more rigid case would do the trick and heat disapation would be better. Not that proline has any issues. Just like to keep things as cool as possible. Searched the net and found nothing on aluminum cases that are comparable with proline inners.