Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Time to. Go brushless

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 04:10 PM
bradjones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to. Go brushless

So it's came a time when I feel like going electric and I haven't tried electric so would like to know what you lot think

I have a Schumacher menace.21 chassis which I plan to swap over, will I be able to put a traxxas spur gear on and mount up with traxxas motor and is there a universal mount I could use to mount the engine onto the chassis DIY required or not heres a pic of her, not been cleaned

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	2004759   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2004760  
Old 06-13-2014, 07:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm... why would you need a traxxas spur gear to mount it up with a traxxas motor?
You just need a pinion to put on a motor that matches the spur already on the RC. (also traxxas motors are IMO not worth it)
For a nitro that was a big block IMO I'd go with a 80A-120A motor at minimum with a matching ESC

As for mounts you will have to DIY your own, or look for a premade one. Some people make L-brackets, or some modify mounts from other vehicles drilling into the chassis.

Now if I were you I would go look for some examples of what people have done, and study up on electric systems as it seems you have only touched nitro.
I tried doing an electric conversion for my 1st(or was it 2nd) electric, and it turned out very badly. Blew the electronics, and screwed up the RC in the process.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:40 AM
bradjones

Ye cool I was just trying to gauge at how much work it would be and if it would be worth I in end

cheers brad
Old 06-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly I'd start with a different platform. From what I can see there's no easy way to modify the chassis to mount the battery, the chassis brace would need to be modified to clear the motor and then there's the 3 speed.

For the 3 speed you'd need to remove it and see if you can mount a spur and slipper clutch from another vehicle to the input shaft of the transmission. Or you could disassemble the 3 speed and see if you can lock it in 3rd gear. Sometimes this is easy and reversible but other times it needs to be permanent. For a motor mount I'd recommend Rc-Monster's LST mount as it has a fairly small footprint and will mount flat to the chassis but will likely require drilling holes in the chassis. But like I said you're probably better off buying an electric vehicle than modifying the Schumacher.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:43 AM
bradjones

I've had the menace since it came out but ye I think it would be easier just to get something rtr brushless,

i have t-maxx and hyper buggy so something which will be a good pavement basher, good speeds 50-60mph be happy with and light off-roader?

Open to any make, model or scale l like the e revo 1/16 scale something along them lines.

something I can have in the van and be reliable and fast, used to speeds from menace and jato so speed/control won't be a issue

cheers brad
Old 06-16-2014, 01:27 PM
ahawk65
My Feedback: (1)

Lots of work to be done here, but interested in how it turns out!
Old 06-19-2014, 06:22 AM
fjjdfjsfhu

why would you need a traxxas spur gear to mount it up with a traxxas motor?