Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brushless Engine & ECM recommendation pleaase?

OK...I have two RC cars I am looking to have upgraded with a new brushless engines.
    1) 2 year old Losi XXX-SCT 1/10 scale
    2) 2 year old Rustler Traxxas

What would you recommend for a good brushless combo without breaking the bank?
    > assume I need an engine and new ECM combo correct?
    > My son and I drive these on pavement and some gravel/dirt & we don't race them competitively
    > typically use Lipo 5000mah + 2S batteries
    > prefer that combo package be relatively easy to install - would I need new gears as well

Thanks very much in advance!!

chuck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hey Chuck! Welcome to the boards.
    A Rustler and the XXT is very much like my Evader, 2wd and fairly light-weight. I've been running this combo for several years HobbyWing EZRUN Brushless System Combo B2 w 35A ESC & 9T@4300KV 3650M Brushless Motor for 1 12,1 10 on-road racing for experienced drivers and they're only about $75. HobbyWing makes good stuff. My Evader will do almost 40mph.

You may or may not have to use different gearing. The best way to determine that is to check the temperature of the motor. Get an infra-red "no-touch" thermometer. A brushless motor should never get over 180F. Properly geared, it should run between 140-150F. Or lower, depending on ambient temps and whether you're running indoors or out. If, after running for 5-10min, you find the motor is over 170F, gear down by changing the pinion gear to one with one or two fewer teeth, until you see the motor running in the range you want.
    Last edited by EXT2Rob; 06-25-2014 at 02:06 PM.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Great advice...thx. Any specific tricks with installation ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by ckmerc View Post
    Great advice...thx. Any specific tricks with installation ?
    each ESC has its own calibration method (some can self calibrate) so look to the manual for that info.

buy a $20 temp gun. It can save you from having to buy another esc/motor. Since each truck's gearing is different, and there are motors of different KV (rpm) rating it is impossible to say for sure if "X" size pinion gear will work for you. A temp gun will tell you real quick if you need to gear up/down or can run what you have. If you can run your truck for a full 2s 5000mah lipo pack and your motor/esc don't get over 130 then you have a gearing that is providing good speed without risk of overheating.

the rest is the same as your stock system....make sure esc is secure....make sure all wires are run safely so they wont get hit/rubbed/snagged.

I have found that motors in the 3000-4000kv range work best for offroad 1/10 trucks. while you can run higher kv motors, I feel that the 3-4k range makes gearing the motors easier and they generally will run cooler as they will have a bit more torque.

right now on ebay you can get a team associated sc700 esc for $53 shipped (new) that is dirt cheap for a name brand 3s capable esc. the EZrun/hobbywing systems work well and are fairly easy on the wallet. they also have good range of programmable settings.

you can get away with as small as a 35amp ESC for your trucks. a esc in the 60amp range is a bit better tho. Just depends on your desire for speed and your budget.

I assume you got your rustler new? if it is an xl5 model then you should be set as the trans should have metal gears. if you have an older xl5 or even xl1 model you will need to upgrade the trans gears to handle the extra power.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Use a good "servo tape" like Parma. Use alcohol on both surfaces prior to install to make sure it's free of dirt and grease. On that little EZrun ESC, a good square of Parma will hold it forever.

Nitro has good advice. And yeah, the first thing you should do with your new ESC is calibrate it to your radio.
    Turn on your radio. Make sure all trims are neutral.
    Press SET button on ESC then turn on ESC.
    ESC light will flash
    (order of this may be wrong from memory...)
    Press Set with throttle trigger in Neutral, LED will flash once.
    Hold Full Throttle and press Set button again, LED flashes twice,
    Hold Full Reverse and press Set button again, LED flashes thrice. Done.
    Turn on ESC and turn back on again, you should be functional.

Then,with power off, pull the ESC connector out of the Receiver and connect it to your ESC programming box....this is where you can set the features of the ESC like brake force, reverse force, reverse lockout, etc. Be sure to enable (should be by default I think) the Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) to protect you lipo from over-discharging.

I think you'll like the performance of the 4300kv motor in that combo. You may have to gear down a tooth on your pinion, but yeah, get an IR thermometer. Tower Hobbies has a Duratrax model for $24. In your RCs, that combo will be fine. Anything heavier than 4.5lbs, I'd definatly get something bigger, in the 45-60Amp range,or more, with a larger motor can. (That 3650M EZrun motor looks like a regular-size 540 motor, but it's mostly cooling fins and is really a 380-size motor.)

BTW, what charger are you using?
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks to everyone for the replies...yes I use a balancer/charger for my lipos. IMAX b6....works great. I use a temp gun as well. Looking forward to getting a good engine esc combo installed. Rustler is 3 yrs old and xxx sct losi is 2 yrs old. Stock engines still holding up for now.

so a 4300kv motor for both cars? Also. 35 amp esc for the rustler and 60 amp esc for the losi sct?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That EZrun B2 combo will be great for the Rustler with the 4300kv. However for the SCT, yes a 60amp ESC will probably be ok, but the SCT being a larger vehicle, you'd want a larger motor than the EZrun B2 combo has. Maybe the B5 combo. That has a 60amp ESC and the motor is the 3650, not the 3650M which is really a smaller motor with heat-sink fins. Not that that motor won't work well in the Rustler, it will. But for the larger, heavier SCT, that B5 combo motor won't have to work as hard as it's smaller cousin, so it won't get as hot pushing that larger vehicle.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Someone at the hobby store recommended this combo for both sct and rustler...thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creatio...pr_product_top

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That Castle combo is also very good but as nitro said earlier the 3000-4000kv is a little more ideal than the 5700kv. The 5700kv will definitely be fine in the Rustler, there's plenty of gearing options for it. I don't know enough about the Losi to know if there's enough gearing options. If you can get the 4600kv version of that combo I'd go that route instead.
    Punch Control? I don't need no stinking Punch Control!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks....sounds like the gearing options would be fine for the Losi (according to youtube videos and rc store guy i spoke with). on a seperate note...it seems that both the rustler and losi xxx sct are wheelie machine with the 5700.....ie...need wheele bars. wonder if it is indeed more than I need. perhaps the 4600kv version for both would work. any idea what that would give me for speed diff?

i.e. stock losi & rustler engines with lipos hit ~35 (I believe...could be less)......with brushless 4600kv would I be looking at 45mph?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I had that 5700kv combo in my Evader, very much like the Rustler, and it was indeed too much motor for such a light chassis. Unless you're just going for all-out speed-runs. I'd go with the 4600kv, and you'll still likely need a wheelie bar. At least with the Rustler. Unless you're judicious with the throttle trigger.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Great advice regarding the rustler...much appreicated. my 6 yr old loves to use it and drives it well. turning it into a wheele machine is not in my wallets best interest.. thanks to everyone for your responses to this thread. very enlightening...