Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Electric car for kids

Hi I'm into my rc monster truck and have a son of nearly three, I think he would really like a rc car and I want to get one which he can grow with, if you know what I mean.

i was thinking something electric, and which I could limit the top speed on and make faster as he gets older. also be able to repair if he manages to break it? Looking to spend around 100

so far just looking quickly I like the losi 8mini and traxxas stampede, can these new brushless cars be limited to say 10mph or am I going to have to keep buying the toy spec cars which only last as long as the batteries before they break.

any info greatly appreciated

thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    U could gear it low and get some NiMH batteries and it would go very fast.
    Redcat tornado s30, 13 Xmods, rockslide rs10, axial exo terra, axial scx10 honcho
    Fav. Quote... Only the dead have seen the end of war- plato

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    brushless generally doesn't like being limited to 10mph. you would have to get a really low KV motor, and in 1/10th scale those usually don't work too well(unless sensored)

For a child I'd go brushed. Tamiya has a pile of kits that are relatively low cost

Personally though I wouldn't bother with one RC he could grow with cause 1-2 years down the line the model could be discontinued, and parts could dry up fast. Only ones think I would say if you REALLY want to do that which would have parts support for a LONG time is the traxxas vehicles like the pede as those have been virtually unchanged in 14+ years.

But in your budget I've looked in UK hobby shops online before, and can't say I seen much outside the bare basic tamiyas
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It's a little out of the price range but my 3yo learnt to drive with a SCX10 Honcho when he was 15 months.... And at the age of 2 he had it mastered. Now at 3 he is better than some adults and can be trusted with unrestricted brushless cars.
    here is a old video of him when he was 2 with a brushless slash... To be honest he has more fun driving in the garden with the slower vehicles
    http://youtu.be/qedJ2LObI4s

here are some good points to consider.
    extreemly durable
    its slow
    goes over anything
    Hardly ever gets stuck
    and the roll bar on the back makes for a good carry handle for young kids

LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Fifteen MONTHS?! Hoo wee! That's startin' 'em young. He does seem to be pretty good with that Slash. Cripes, at that age, I could barely pick my own nose much less drive an RC with any kind of aplomb. Way to go max!
    Just a schmoe....

Fair play too little man! Ye I'll look into the axial honcho see if I can get one second hand 150 around that will get me Sumat decent hopfully, I'm all about nitro so don't really know how the brushed systems work can they be slowed down just on the controller like end point? Cheers brad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    End Points, exactly. So if kiddo's transmitter has 'em, that's the way you limit his max top speed.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by EXT2Rob View Post
    End Points, exactly. So if kiddo's transmitter has 'em, that's the way you limit his max top speed.
    taping a piece of foam behind the trigger works too

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Oh well sure, if you wanna go real cheap...

....but it does work. Simple is good.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    he he, ive used a crayon behind the trigger.... yeah, don't do that it makes a mess lol

something like a scx10 u might not have to slow it down as they are relatively slow

A lot depends on the child. one of my boys needed it to be restricted at first because he is a lot more hyperactive but my younger boy in the video is a lot more sensible and listens, so rather than limiting it I was able to teach him to only pull the trigger a little bit and remind him every few minutes if he started to get silly.

Rc cars can be very exciting to young ones. if u can get them to calm down and listen they will have a better chance of successfully driving the car with out getting frustrated

one thing that I found that helps familiarize themselves on how a car works is let them push it around and play with it with out it been switched on.
    my boys spent ages doing that studying how the wheels turn when u push it, I think it really fascinated them discovering the wheel.

girls are the same. my 1yo loves to push a Losi 8ight rolling chassis around, I must admit its on hell of a push toy lol

Just be warned tho, kids do brake thing. but the thing they brake are totally unpredictable.... U would never guess what my boys broke on the SCX10... apart from every scale accessory ive ever tried...any guesses? there has been 3 things over the years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by phmaximus View Post
    Just be warned tho, kids do brake thing. but the thing they brake are totally unpredictable.... U would never guess what my boys broke on the SCX10... apart from every scale accessory ive ever tried...any guesses? there has been 3 things over the years
    Rim, body, and a light bucket?

Agree though the SCX 10 probably doesn't really need any slowing up, and if it does just fling a 35T motor in it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM View Post
    brushless generally doesn't like being limited to 10mph. you would have to get a really low KV motor, and in 1/10th scale those usually don't work too well(unless sensored)

For a child I'd go brushed. Tamiya has a pile of kits that are relatively low cost

Personally though I wouldn't bother with one RC he could grow with cause 1-2 years down the line the model could be discontinued, and parts could dry up fast. Only ones think I would say if you REALLY want to do that which would have parts support for a LONG time is the traxxas vehicles like the pede as those have been virtually unchanged in 14+ years.

But in your budget I've looked in UK hobby shops online before, and can't say I seen much outside the bare basic tamiyas
    generally syco you and I are on the same page...however my son is 4 and he has been driving my SC10rs a lot. the sc10's radio has throttle end points, so I just turn down the high end point and I can limit speed to 10mph. everything runs cool and battery runtime is crazy long.
    If you were referring to limiting a brushless model's speed by gearing it down, in that case I agree with you. that could cause it to overheat. But if you buy a model with adjustable throttle endpoints you can tweak the top speed (as well as acceleration) quickly and continue to adjust it as he gets better at driving. my son is getting good enough I have been upping the speed to 15-18mph.

All that said, for a young one there is nothing wrong with getting a brushed model. The wheelyking or crawler king can be good 1st models....they take a bashing, are not that fast out of the box and can be geared down more if you want them slower. and $200 for a RTR with battery and 2.4 radio isn't bad, expecially since it is 4wd and can drive most anywhere.

models I like for a kid:
    sc10rs...the brushed version has the same radio and could work just as well.
    HPI wheely or crawler king.
    ECX torment. no adjustable throttle on the radio, but good price-durable-drives over most terrain.

those would be my top 3.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner View Post
    generally syco you and I are on the same page...however my son is 4 and he has been driving my SC10rs a lot. the sc10's radio has throttle end points, so I just turn down the high end point and I can limit speed to 10mph. everything runs cool and battery runtime is crazy long.
    If you were referring to limiting a brushless model's speed by gearing it down, in that case I agree with you. that could cause it to overheat. But if you buy a model with adjustable throttle endpoints you can tweak the top speed (as well as acceleration) quickly and continue to adjust it as he gets better at driving. my son is getting good enough I have been upping the speed to 15-18mph.

All that said, for a young one there is nothing wrong with getting a brushed model. The wheelyking or crawler king can be good 1st models....they take a bashing, are not that fast out of the box and can be geared down more if you want them slower. and $200 for a RTR with battery and 2.4 radio isn't bad, expecially since it is 4wd and can drive most anywhere.

models I like for a kid:
    sc10rs...the brushed version has the same radio and could work just as well.
    HPI wheely or crawler king.
    ECX torment. no adjustable throttle on the radio, but good price-durable-drives over most terrain.

those would be my top 3.
    I was more thinking of the cogging which is why I said sensored at the end. I dunno the motors I have pretty much cog like crazy in my vehicles when I try to go slow but then again they are all sensorless.

Agree about the WK pretty good vehicle as I owned one(well sorta still own as I kinda used it for parts for 2 other RC's), and enjoyed it I would say it would be the top option IMO(unless he could get a SCX10 cheap) as its a friggin monster truck, and we all know kids love monster trucks specially one made to pop wheelies . I would have said it originally except I was trying to stay near his original budget which is the main reason I said Tamiya as the kits are cheap

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    my boys managed to brake the...

front Bumper mount..... (picking it up from it)
    Rear Shock hoop.....(droping the car on the back end)
    Rear left shock cap.....(it got caught in some weeds and they literally pulled on it until it was free)

thats a good idea with the HPI Wheelie King.

and another option is the Redcat ground pounder
    Last edited by phmaximus; 07-04-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by phmaximus View Post
    my boys managed to brake the...

front Bumper mount..... (picking it up from it)
    Rear Shock hoop.....(droping the car on the back end)
    Rear left shock cap.....(it got caught in some weeds and they literally pulled on it until it was free)

thats a good idea with the HPI Wheelie King.

and another option is the Redcat ground pounder
    having owned the king and a ground pounder.....for kids, the king is better. the ground pounder is much heavier. And since the links are all metal, there is no give. so what does break, are the link mounts on the axle.
    The chassis on the GP is much cooler IMO. And last night I saw the new transformer movie and I could swear the robot-dog thing the main character had built was sitting on a ground pounder!

I know I have broken a king's shock before. Ive had a stock ESC fry. Ive broken a steering knuckle as well as a front driveshaft. But the frequency of breakage was no worse than any other decent basher truck. And when it comes to kids, you can always gear a king down which will help limit breakage.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,