Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Hunter SCT

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:10 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Hunter SCT

DHK Hobby has just released a new Short Course Truck that is 1/10th scale 4wd. It is on the cover of the current issue of RC Car Action. Also Car Action made this video of the truck, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJP8Y6ESDBg

There are two versions available, Brushed and Brushless.

Be sure to check them out!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:18 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking at that chassis it appears to use a lot of the same parts as the Redcats, Himoto and Exceed trucks. They're not bad designs but the plastic was way too brittle on those other models. Hope they solved that problem for this truck.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:53 PM
TimJ

Fortunately you are completely wrong on that assumption.

DHK manufactures every part of their trucks. They do not source any chassis components for other manufactures. They have their own plastic formula that seems to be doing very well. Basically everything is done in house. This is unheard of in this hobby anymore.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:41 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good... Tough market tho.... Wonder if it will survive or flop
Old 10-26-2013, 07:01 PM
TimJ

Hard to say. The neat part with DHK is if there is an issue with parts, they can react quicker than any of the long time well knowns in our hobby.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:04 AM
TimJ

Here it is a month later. I've been thrashing hard on my Hunter. I've bent two screws in the bumper and broke a suspension arm because I ran it into a curb at full speed.
I am really shocked I have not broke more parts. I wonder what will wear our first...
Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a lot of parts used on this one and the Razr and Wolf. Myself, brother and brother in law have Razr's. They have been pretty good so far. Only issues are we lost (2) steering servo's to bad driving, a few broken screws for same reason. For what we spent they are a good deal.

Buzz.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:23 PM
cobrajocky

I've had the DHK Hunter BL (brushless) well over a month now, my grandson has the DHK Wolf (I upgraded to Brushless shortly after buying it for him - the stock brushed motor toasted in a few days). NO OTHER model is the same as the Hunter. Not the Turnigy, Not the Redcats, Himoto and Exceed trucks, we've seen them all at the local tracks. And shares little to nothing with the Wolf or Raz-R, since we have one I can verify that. The Hunter is really more of a 1/8th scale truck since it does use and share many parts with the DHK 1/8th Zombie (again, I compared the two with bodies off at the local Hobby People store.

My only complaint with the Hunter B or BL is the cheapo plastic gear steering servo, which I replaced immediately with a digital Metal Gear unit (TowePro MG966R ... a bullet proof servo)

With some detective work (comparing dozens of RC Car ESC's) I'd like to report that the ESC's used in the DHK Hunter BL and perhaps other models, are made by HobbyWing. To me, a 45 year Fixed Wing RCer and 12 year Electric Plane RCer, it means DHK is using quality brushless electronics. HobbyWing is the best ESC from Asia (Japan, Taiwan, Korea or China), highly reliable. Jack from DHK China Product management "sorta" confirmed this when I asked by email if the HobbyWing Brushless ESC Programming Card would work on the their branded ESC. I already knew the answer since the HobbyWing EZRUN user manual is copied into the DHK Hunter BL owners manual for programming instructions.

So I ordered a HobbyWing EZRUN Programming Card ($10 online) and sure enough it reads all the "Item" and "Value" settings pre-programmed into the DHK 45A ESC and allows you to change them. A warning - I found that the factory is not enablling low voltage protection for the LiPO battery, I reprogrammed mine to 2.6v p/cell cut-off.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HobbyWing EZRUN Programming Card.JPG
Views:	746
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	2006924  

Last edited by cobrajocky; 06-19-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:24 PM
cobrajocky

Sorry, this was a duplicate post --- erased.

Last edited by cobrajocky; 06-27-2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Accidental duplicate
Old 06-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrajocky
A warning - I found that the factory is not enablling low voltage protection for the LiPO battery, I reprogrammed mine to 2.6v p/cell cut-off.
I hope that 2.6v p/cell is a typo. Lipo batteries should not be allowed to have their voltages go below 3.0v p/cell or damage can occur. It's generally agreed that 3.2 v p/cell is the lowest you should go as it provides a margin of error since the esc doesn't knowindividual cell voltage only average voltage of the cells in a pack.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 06-19-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:55 PM
cobrajocky

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
I hope that 2.6v p/cell is a typo. Lipo batteries should not be allowed to have their voltages go below 3.0v p/cell or damage can occur. It's generally agreed that 3.2 v p/cell is the lowest you should go as it provides a margin of error since the esc doesn't knowindividual cell voltage only average voltage of the cells in a pack.
My error, I meant 2.8V as the cutoff. But I and most RC Electric Aircraft flyers will disagree with you regarding a safe low voltage. I've been flying Glow Fuel RC for 46 years and Electric since it began with NiCADs, easily LiPO for 8 years. Draining to 3.0v per cell is absolutely no problem and considering that each cell is being charged to a specified 3.7 VOLTS (battery manufacturer spec and look at your charger setting!) a freshly charge good LiPO generally doesn't charge beyond 4.25v per cell under NO LOAD, a 1.25v drop is is nothing and a "working" level run. Also, LiPO's sag under load below that actual static charge with no load. Under load a 2.8v sag, the rebound under no load is often 3.0 t0 3.2v depending on the quality of the cells. I time my runs in cars and planes instead of waiting for "cut off", but I certainly am not going to have the buggy stall on the track when there's actually still usable voltage in the LiPO. So, I hope you enjoy that 3 minutes of run time with your cut-off set to 3.2v!

Last edited by cobrajocky; 06-27-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:14 PM
TimJ

Under a heavy load, 2.7v per cell should be fine. Under a medium to small load 2.7v per cell cutoff is not so good. But this all hinges on the quality of the cells you have purchased. Poor quality cells will not recover. Also, if you are using 3cell packs or larger, it is safer to use a 3.0v per cell cut off. We are not matching internal resistance and voltage of LiPos, so each cell could reach their minimum voltage at different times.