Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How to match ratio of 48P to new 32P setup

I am going to 32P and I'm going to use a 60T spur. I want my car to go the same speed that it used to. My current setup is 87/23 48P. What tooth pinion should I use?

My logic tells me to use this calculator: http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/gear_calc.html Using the "Distance between shafts" calculator, I would need a 12T pinion to match my current shaft distance.

Is this correct thinking?
    If it works, take it apart and find out why.

Evader ST | TL-01 MT | Micro BL SCT | Radian | Alias | MCX2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'd say you're certainly in the ballpark, maybe within the diamond. I was going to suggest using the diameter of the gears to match up the ratio.
    What gears are you using, Nate? Did you have to make any mods?
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I don't have the spur yet, but as far as I know I don't need to make any mods except maybe to my gear cover.

Current gears are:

Robinson Racing 87T 48P Spur - http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...-Spur-Gear-87T

Robinson Racing 23T 48P Pinion - http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...inion-Gear-23T

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you want the same gear ratio you're using the wrong calculator. Using the "distance between shafts" calculator just tells you the distance between the shafts with a particular set of gears, it does not tell you the ratio. Your 23/87 combo has a ratio of 3.78:1 while the 12/60 is 5:1 so your top speed is going to be different. A 16/60 combo gets you a ratio of 3.75:1 which is as close as you are going to get to your existing 3.78:1 ratio. Now if you want to make sure this combination will fit you can enter it into the calculator to find the distance between the shafts with 16/60 and make sure you can achieve that distance between the shafts in your vehicle.
    Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 07-07-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    Punch Control? I don't need no stinking Punch Control!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Silly me, I missed that whole simple concept! Thanks man! I will get the 16T then and maybe a couple others to change it up for different types of running. Not sure why I didn't think of that simple formula...