RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

How to match ratio of 48P to new 32P setup

Old 07-02-2014, 08:30 AM
DieHarder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How to match ratio of 48P to new 32P setup

I am going to 32P and I'm going to use a 60T spur. I want my car to go the same speed that it used to. My current setup is 87/23 48P. What tooth pinion should I use?

My logic tells me to use this calculator: http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/gear_calc.html Using the "Distance between shafts" calculator, I would need a 12T pinion to match my current shaft distance.

Is this correct thinking?
Old 07-04-2014, 07:21 AM
EXT2Rob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd say you're certainly in the ballpark, maybe within the diamond. I was going to suggest using the diameter of the gears to match up the ratio.
What gears are you using, Nate? Did you have to make any mods?
Old 07-06-2014, 05:12 PM
DieHarder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't have the spur yet, but as far as I know I don't need to make any mods except maybe to my gear cover.

Current gears are:

Robinson Racing 87T 48P Spur - http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...-Spur-Gear-87T

Robinson Racing 23T 48P Pinion - http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...inion-Gear-23T
Old 07-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want the same gear ratio you're using the wrong calculator. Using the "distance between shafts" calculator just tells you the distance between the shafts with a particular set of gears, it does not tell you the ratio. Your 23/87 combo has a ratio of 3.78:1 while the 12/60 is 5:1 so your top speed is going to be different. A 16/60 combo gets you a ratio of 3.75:1 which is as close as you are going to get to your existing 3.78:1 ratio. Now if you want to make sure this combination will fit you can enter it into the calculator to find the distance between the shafts with 16/60 and make sure you can achieve that distance between the shafts in your vehicle.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 07-07-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:07 PM
DieHarder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Silly me, I missed that whole simple concept! Thanks man! I will get the 16T then and maybe a couple others to change it up for different types of running. Not sure why I didn't think of that simple formula...

Search this Thread