Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

axial

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 11:01 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default axial

so while was on Google trying to track down a poison spider, I went to axials website for ****s and gigs.
They are going to be releasing another speed machine! The yeti. Looks just like the exo but have a solid locked rear axle. It looks bad ass.
Thoughts?
Old 07-15-2014, 01:26 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow I really like it.
it looks like a lot of thought has gone into it.

id like to see a SCT version
Old 07-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vaterra has had the similar Twin Hammers for awhile now and I remember seeing a few EXO's with solid rear axles being built. I guess Axial decided they needed to fill the void. Looks like they did a really good job but in the videos the truck seems a bit low in the rear.

This is would probably lend itself well to a SCT. I'd really like to see it in a Trophy Truck version though. That would be sweet with a bunch of off-road lights, roll cage tubing and spare tires in the bed!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:37 PM
zackS30

The twin hammers for some reason just seemed too small for what it was trying to be. I watched a T.H video from djmedic and his friend had one he was running. It just seemed small.
I don't think I'll get the yeti, I'm still trying to find a poison spyder.
The yeti looks sick though.
It does seem a bit low I'm the rear and looks like it has a nose dive problem, the exo did too but that was fixed easily.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:56 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Zack, I was going to ask you something. Even though you already have the SCX10, if you were me, would you get the SCX10 G6 version and build it up brushless with a ton of extras or the Wraith Poison Spider and some extras? This fall I have plans to purchase a crawler and originally decided on the SCX10. But I've been seeing it everywhere that people want the Poison Spider. Which is better? (By SCX10, I'm referring to the g6 kit version)
Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 PM
zackS30

Well I love my honcho. The g6 seems like a wildly customizable platform. However I really want a poison spider I've seen some awesome things done with the wraith.
I would pick whichever one u like best.
If ur going brush less I think the wraith will handle it better. U can get a lower cog wider stance. So IMO going brush less, wraith.
What kind of plans do u have for its use?
Old 07-19-2014, 03:55 AM
phmaximus

Hang on I'm confused right now???

Pleaee correct me if I'm wrong..

I thought the g6 was a rc racing event??
And the scx10 jeep g6 edition was a rolling chassis with a few factory fitted upgrades and a more of a competition styled jeep body?

so what's the go with the poison spider?? Is that just a wraith with a body designed from a real rock crawler and different wheels???
Old 07-19-2014, 03:58 AM
phmaximus

If ur on Facebook join the scx10 page, there is a few guys running BL scx10's... Mind u they are very unstable because on the front live axle.

i guess that's why axial made the yeti, with its independent front suspension I bet it is a lot more stable than both the scx10 and wraith

i guess now axial have a Scale vehicle for most types of off-roading
ax10
scx10
wraith
yeti
exo
Old 07-19-2014, 04:52 AM
DieHarder

My plans were to purchase the G6 kit: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDUVM&P=ML build it with steel transmission gears, 30wt shock oil, and run a 2S 5000mah 40C battery. I planned to install the Novak brushless crawler system: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMTH&P=7 and some High Torque servo with a FlySky receiver. Because it is 13.5T brushless motor, I wanted to gear it 75:1 with the spur/pinion. Maybe less than that, but in that range. I wanted to have a crawler with as much torque as I will ever need and a little more, that went a somewhat decent speed and had all the abilities to perform amazingly in ever situation. I chose the G6 because it is a kit (Never built one before and really want to), it has lots of stock upgrades such as aluminum links and icon shocks, the body shape is appealing, and it just stands out from the others IMO. If I can gear it to 75:1 like they say, I don't see how making it brushless would be any different than a super powerful brushed motor. I just want to crawl through the woods, over snow, haul it on my trailer, crawl over rain washouts, make a video, just kinda like what every average SCX10 owner does, except I have many upgrades more in store for it.

So in the cases I stated above, is the SCX10 or Poison Spider better for what I want to do with it? Thanks for your guy's help BTW.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:56 PM
phmaximus

I don't think the scx10 would be very good for that purpose...

the SCX10 in stock form is relatively slow, even at it's very slow top speed it's very very easy to traction roll.
I can only imagine how poor the handling would be at faster speeds...

It would be awesome to have a vehicle that is amazing in every situation. But I don't think it's remotely possible.
To be realistic u might end up with a bar that's borderline average in every situation.

Its not so much the power train that's the problem it's the suspension and weight bios. Crawling requirements are just so different to fast paced dirt bashing...... What u gain at one end u loose at the other... U could make a joe blow, jack of all trades crawler/drift basher but it's only going to be 1/2 decent and never good at particularly anything.

ok now for something positive lol

i think for what u want the wraith or yeti is going to a better option and something like a 2speed gearbox might be worth considering.

if it was me I would go for the yeti. In theory the yeti is going to be a lot more stable than a wraith at high speeds.
And it will have some crawing ability.

on 1/1 trucks that combination of live rear axle and iderpandant front works very well. U loose a little bit of the crawling ability but u gain a lot of high speed stability.

It might be worth waiting for some reviews on the Yeti to see if it's going to be up to what u want?
Old 07-19-2014, 07:24 PM
zackS30

That's why I said wraith if ur going brush less.
The scx10 is VERY easy to roll. I've moved my battery down by the trans and it still tips on some fast turns. The wraith has a wider stance and is a "rock racer" so u can still gear it to have tons of torque but with a brushless system it will still be plently fast enough and stable for say a balls out hill climb like I do with my honcho and exo.
Idk IMO I'd go with the wraith. However the g6 will still be massive fun!
Phmaximus has good info BTW.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:57 PM
zackS30

That's why I said wraith if ur going brush less.
The scx10 is VERY easy to roll. I've moved my battery down by the trans and it still tips on some fast turns. The wraith has a wider stance and is a "rock racer" so u can still gear it to have tons of torque but with a brushless system it will still be plently fast enough and stable for say a balls out hill climb like I do with my honcho and exo.
Idk IMO I'd go with the wraith. However the g6 will still be massive fun!
Phmaximus has good info BTW.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:49 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The chassis of the yeti is kinda funky, but I like the style and IFS with solid axle.
Id love to see it side by side a vaterra twin hammers. The twin hammer was smaller than I expected. Im wondering if the yeti is a bit larger.

While brushless is the way to go, id still like to have a brushed option....for a lower cost.

I can imagine the yeti with 4 paddle tires flying up a sand hill
Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 PM
zackS30

Hell yeah I'd bet that the yeti would spank the twin hammers. The size of the yeti seems very close to the exo which is almost 1/8 scale.
The yeti is 4wd with the rear locked so I bet that sucker would haul some serious ass up a dune with some sand paws.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:15 PM
DieHarder

What I mean by " perform amazingly in every situation" is that it can get out of a bind most of the time. I don't care how long it takes. I don't want to go fast or even briskly. I want to go slow and enjoy the twisting action of the suspension and discover the abilities of the G6. I've been going fast the whole time I've been in the hobby and I want to try really slow crawling. I've had good luck with a lower turn motor and gearing it to be super slow. It provides a lot of torque and goes slow really nicely. That's why I said I want the 13.5T and 75:1 ratio. I'm building a trailer for my future crawler. That shows that I plan on having such a slow crawler, that I need a trailer and monster truck to haul it where I want to go and get there the same day. I think I gave the wrong impression. I want to go really slow, not really fast. If 75:1 ratio between the spur and pinion isn't slow enough with the brushless motor, I will use a gear reduction unit.

Maybe that changes your guy's opinion. Did it sound like I wanted to go fast? Sorry. What would your recommendations be, taking into consideration the info in this post? Thanks for all your help BTW!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:49 AM
zackS30

OK I see what u mean. A 13.5 sensored for the g6 would be nice. My honcho is stock gearing and a 20t wraith motor, when I pin the go button it lifts the right front tire up and it looks like it waving at me lol. It still goes pleanty slow for precise crawling but fast enough to get around. I think u would be happy with that set up. What kind of tires and such r u putting on? Maybe we should start a new thread for ur g6? Or we can go off this one. Not like this thread had any light to be stolen in the first place lol.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:45 AM
DieHarder

I just hate brushed motors. They have failed me so many times. I have never had one last longer than 2 months, they just burn up after awhile (for me anyways). After I spent $46 on a brushed motor for my over geared plow truck, I've decided to never buy another brushed motor. It's not that I don't know them very well (like some LHS employees), but brushless is SOOOO much more reliable. I have yet to have one fail on me. On the flip side, all 14 motors I've blown up were brushed. That's kinda why I'm sticking with brushless.

I haven't bought it yet, but I am setting money aside for it. I want to purchase just the kit either next month or the month after, then keep saving, and add in my upgrades as I build it. Because I have to save as the build goes in order to purchase the upgrades, the build will take awhile to complete. The other option is to build it without electronics and add in the physical upgrades later. That would result in getting it to the rocks faster. I'll have to think more on that...

I actually thought the tires that came with it were alright. They don't look super soft and sticky, but I want to try them first. If they fail, I will probably go with something from RC4WD (Like the Swampers or so) and mount it on some new rims.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:39 AM
zackS30

OK that all sounds good. I've not had a problem with brushed motor. I've been RC'ing since I was 6, so 15 urs of all kind as of cars and motors and they were all fine (knock on wood)

I think it comes with Maxxis trepadors the ripsaws grip better. The treps don't have big enough tread blocks. I've got proline tsl super swamped XL on my honcho and they are awesome. My trucks to be a tad bit heavier for them to connect like I want but they do very very well. They're the XL so they do give nice ground clearance