Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Cool Want to get into the hobby but need some help

Hello all. Ive reecently become very interested in getting an off road rc truck. Im thinking something 1/10 scale and 2wd. I want 2 wheel drive because i feel like it would be more fun. My only intentions are to bash not race. The terrain i will be driving on is mostly dirt bicycle trails and jumps and maybe a concrete skate park. So far the vehicles that are catching my eye the most are stadium trucks. The two ive found in my budget so far are the Redcat Twister XTG pro and the Racers Edge traverse. Are either of these worth getting or is there something better i should be looking into for around the same price?
    The thing i like about the redcat is it comes with a battery and charger but im concerned about the hubs not being the hex type. The racers edge on the other hand has the 12mm hex hubs but no battery or charger.
    Am i on the right track to get into the hobby with one of these or will i be disappointed?
    Thank you for any input.
    Spencer
    Redcat twister xtg pro
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CEP...110_SY165_QL70
    Racers edge traverse
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AKA...&pi=SX200_QL40

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    For bashing, a monster truck sounds good. This ECX Rukus should fulfill that; Hex, not pins, comes with a battery and "fast" charger. Not to mention great parts support; if you even need it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrix-Ruc...p2054897.l4275

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Nothing compares in part support to Traxxas! Look at the traxxas Rustler or the Stampede 2wd. Those are the top two. The rustler is a stadium truck and the Stampede is a monster truck. You will like the rustler as it is more stable and can be more exciting being 2wd. You can find rustlers in the $200 to $300 area used on ebay. Great trucks and awesome upgrades too! They also have A1 phone support and their parts can be found at most hobby shops.

Sorry if i sound like a promoter but its all the truth. Some people think their just toys but their made to bring people into the hobby. They're the best beginner rc's i know.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I like many redcat models...but the front end of the twister models is kinda weak. rest of the truck is decent but I found the front of the chassis can break to easy.

I will say either the ruckus as mentioned, or its stadium truck brother the circuit. The ecx trucks are good quality at a decent price. There are brushed and brushless versions (brushless is faster, more expensive) but either have good speed out of the box. Ive owned the ecx torment (80% the same parts as the other 2 models) and it took a beating and handles well too.

The traxxas models do have the advantage of greater parts support and gobs of aftermarket support, but for the beginner RC guy the ECX brand will do nicely, and is a bit friendlier on the wallet.

With any electric rc....plan on buying a second battery! 10-15 minutes is what you can expect with my batteries that come included with a truck. So a second battery for more runtimes is a very good idea.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Any pin-type wheel drive can be converted to hex. You just need to buy the hexes for your axle diameter.

If you can, try to buy the ECX or Rustler WITHOUT a charger and battery. They only add to the cost, and are usually about worthless since the battery is usually a NiMh and the charger a meager 2amp unit that takes HOURS to charge the probably 3000mah battery....then you get 10min of runtime. NiMhs are ok for brushed models, but should not be used with brushless, as NiMhs cannot supply the amps required by brushless systems, and will eventually kill the battery, and possibly also cause problems in the ESC that can lead to its demise.

GET LIPO batteries and a Lipo charger Thunder AC680 Professional Dual-Power LiPo Balance Charger Discharger w AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software
    Modern ESCs even with brushed motors usually have a LIPO Low-Voltage cutoff (LVC) that allows you to use Lipos . Always enable the LVC with LiPOs to prevent them from being discharged below 3.2V/cell. Discharging a Lipo below 3.0V/cell can cause permanent damage to the battery. 5000mah packs are common and can be had for less than $50ea and will give you 25min runtimes. Get a couple or three, and you'll have very little downtime for charging.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    ECX vehicles are a relative bargain but the greatest downfall of the 2wd vehicles is the steering system. Specifically, the servo saver. It serves its intended purpose well and protects the servo but the plastic "C" spring is softer than necessary and hampers the response. The truck can feel vague and lazy. Although, to a new driver with limited experience this is likely not an issue as they have nothing else to compare to.

One truck that doesn't get enough recognition is the XXX-SCT brushless RTR. Yes, it's an older design and you don't have the parts support like Traxxas, however, the truck is based on a racing style platform, it shares many parts with the XXX-SCB, it comes with a water-proof Dynamite brushless system, a Dynamite 2S LiPo battery, a basic charger and a Spektrum DX2L radio. For a click over $300. You can probably find a deal online if you search hard enough. It will handle better, than any of the basic beginner trucks, has aluminum threaded shock bodies, steel turnbuckles, and the transmitter has a 3-position throttle limiter switch so you can tone it down much like a Traxxas vehicle. Don't turn your nose up at it as it's worth looking at.
    Part-time RC Mechanic
    RDD Raceway Hobby Shop / Madera, CA
    Slot Cars - RC - Models - Toys

EXO Terra | SC10 4x4 | DESC210R | SCX10 Rubicon | SCX10 Honcho | Savage Flux HP | RC10 Graphite | RC10GT2 | Sakura S Zero | Vaterra Kemora | Losi Micro T | ECX Torment | Blade 500 3D | Blade MCPx | Blade QX2 350 (coming soon) | Flyzone Cessna Corvalis | HeliMax 1SQ Vcam | Estes Proto X

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I did encounter issues with the servo saver on my ECX torment....but only after many, many battery packs run threw the truck.
    The only real issue with the steering is the servo mount holes....they have some adjustement. When I decided to install a new servo in my torment I didn't get the mounting just right...which caused some drag on the servo and that burnt up my servo after 5-6 battery packs. I couldn't see any good reason for the mounting holes being slots instead of centered holes. My 3rd servo I got installed and centered right and didn't have that problem again.
    But the "C" clip does fade in strength over time as mentioned, but it is fairly easy to replace and cheap. But a servo saver like traxxas models use is a better system. Still, I felt my ecx torment handled and jumped better than a stock slash. I liked the stock tires better and the body held up to abuse better as well.

Still, my fav 2wd short course is the sc10.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have an older brushed Torment after they first switched to the DX2E Spektrum radios. It's been beat to death over and over again. So, I agree that they hold up better than many other trucks. While I own several different types of brushless vehicles, including some 4x4, the Torment has become one of my "goto" vehicles when I want to take a quick drive in the yard. It's not fast by any means but fast enough to take some jumps. I think mine has the older 20T motor. If you are careful to actually break in the brushes initially then they can last a while, even when running a 2S pack. Which is a point new drivers don't consider, you need to break in these motors. At the very minimum, they should run the truck at partial throttle for the duration of one pack on smooth level ground and hold a steady pace. New drivers likely won't bother with the water method or have access to a motor tester, etc. We've had a few of the 4x4s come back with melted ESCs related to the fact that the motor wasn't properly broken in. Basically our theory is that the motor builds up so much heat from the extra resistance that the wires get hot enough to melt the outer coating; they eventually touch and short out the ESC which causes it to overload and melt-down. Haven't seen it happen on the 2wd yet but we have seen burned out motors on several occasions. It's frustrating for a new owner when they don't understand why the truck needs an extra process out of the box.

For newer folks getting into the hobby who read this post, this holds for any brushed motor. Some basic maintenance is essential for the longevity and performance of the motor. This gets back to my recommendation of the Losi truck because it includes a brushless system. I think we tend to withdraw from recommending a brushless system to a new driver because they are generally faster and more powerful which can be difficult for new drivers to learn with. But, many systems can be programmed to run slower and besides that, there is less maintenance involved and performance is consistant. Remember when your old brushed car sat unused for a long time then the brushes oxidize and weird things happen? Not with brushless. Besides, there's a good chance that they'll want to upgrade anyhow so, why not skip the first step and start with a BL system from the beginning?