Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Old time RCer now looking to get a new Stadium Truck for bashing w/son...help?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Old time RCer now looking to get a new Stadium Truck for bashing w/son...help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:58 PM
gronendael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Old time RCer now looking to get a new Stadium Truck for bashing w/son...help?

I used to bash my Traxxas Eagle back in the early 90s with a group of friends but have been out of RC for quite a while...other than getting the truck out for a bashing run every couple years. I had no one to bash with and I lost interest.

Just got my 12 yo son a Tamiya Grasshopper which he is loving. My Eagle is dead (broken arm) and though I may fix it, I'm not bashing with it anymore. (We didn't used to call it bashing btw )

Anyway, I received a $50 Gift card to Tower Hobbies so am limited to what they offer. I have decided I do want RTR now, even though in my day nearly everything was a kit...times have changed.

Requirements
My budget is about $300, but I could go a little higher if it was worth it. I want a Stadium Truck. Something durable that will last and is also upgradable. It will be strictly for bashing with my sons, brother, and dad occasionally for the next 10 years.

I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on what truck they would choose from the list below and why. Thanks so much for any input!!

Here are the trucks I'm looking at:

Tier 1 (Pushing the limit of my price range. But would consider if there was a significant improvement over Tier 2)

Tier 2 (Most likely choices, perfectly in my price range)

Tier 3 (Only if one of these could come close to competing with Tier 2)

Thanks again for any help!

Last edited by gronendael; 07-23-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Spacing was weird
Old 07-23-2014, 03:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You stuck on ST's? or you open to SCT's?

if your open the Blitz flux is $300 RTR (you can also throw a tower coupon on to lower it even more), and rom what I read from owners is its a great sturdy truck. If I had any more room I would own one myself.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:57 PM
gronendael

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
You stuck on ST's? or you open to SCT's?

if your open the Blitz flux is $300 RTR (you can also throw a tower coupon on to lower it even more), and rom what I read from owners is its a great sturdy truck. If I had any more room I would own one myself.
I have looked at the Blitz and the Slash a bit. But after considering SCTs, I think I've decided to go with a Stadium Truck. Call it nostalgia if you want. SCTs really weren't around in the early 90s. I also like the bigger tires (and more tire options) of a ST because I'll be in grass and on pavement a lot. And I have no real interest in racing, so that's not a factor.

Stuck? Not entirely, but pretty sure. I'll definitely look again.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Wasn't factoring racing in actually

The tire size difference isn't very big. ST tires are 2.2 inches wide, and SCT's are 1.9. Just checked out my 13 year old pro-line dirt-hawgs(I swear those were the longest lasting tires ever made) up against my SCT tire, and the SCT tire has a slightly larger diameter(very minor). In all honesty there really would be nothing stopping you from slapping ST rims with tires on a SCT.

They basically are the same thing for the most part just different body, bit longer(wheelbase is 1.5 inches longer on the SCT), and bumpers. Main bonus is less broken front A-arms due to the bumper getting hit instead of clipping the tire. Basically SCT's are the size of 1.8th scale buggies where ST's... honestly are all over the place in size I have a HPI MT2 which is a ST its a teeny bit shorter then a 1/8th scale buggy, I bought a different companies ST body, and it was a perfect fit on a 1/10th scale buggy.

Now the nostalgia bug if you really want a ST(not like anything is wrong with them) either the Firestorm, or the rustler. IMO the rustler is way overpriced, but it has insane parts support, where the firestorms seems a tad weak as a quick look at tower they are out of a lot of commonly broken parts like the arms.

Side note be prepared to buy batteries, and a charger ontop of anything as what they include in RTR's are pretty crappy.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 07-23-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:11 AM
tooth-less

I just got a Blitz flux for under 300 at tower hobbies. Comes with decent tires, good ESC and a pretty punchy motor.

Tower is always hit or miss with parts...I always check advantage hobby or ebay first as they are almost always cheaper
Old 07-24-2014, 01:12 PM
gronendael

Thanks guys. I just ordered the Blitz.

I really was leaning toward Stadium Truck but I had a man-crush on the Blitz after watching videos about Short Course stuff. Don't know why...but you've helped push me back that direction. Also my Eagle broken arm just made me think I might do that same thing to another Stadium Truck, so I'd give a Short Courser a try. Appreciate the input!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:08 PM
tooth-less

Think you will be happy with it

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	2017178  
Old 07-24-2014, 03:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ohh yea quick tip if you are unhappy with the selection, and price of SCT tires you can get some 17mm hex adapters, and pop on 1/8th scale buggy rims with tires. I did this on my slash 4x4 (well when I had it) worked great, and the rims, and tires were like $15 a set of 4 on ebay from one seller in a pile of different thread types.