Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Rustler thrread or 2wd

I am a noob by the way. Does anyone run the rustler with a brushless 550 sized motor? ive wanted to for a while and finally bought one the 2400kv from castle but it has too much torque that it will break diff gears. so Ive been looking at the tenshock 4000kv 550 and the tekin sc4x with 4800kv. I like the tekin.
    I have the mmp castle. I like torque and speed. is the torque unusable by the rustler. I like the high kv and with good torque. you know this would be drastically better than the nitro version. sounds like a joke getting a nitro, lol (pathetic). way too much maintenance. I ordered the 2400 castle system before I realized it is too much for the diff gears. I haven't received it yet. I don't have a problem with the 540 versions I like the never having to worry about heat aspect. Ive been on other forums and everyone says go with 540s, I wanted to try something different. sounds good to me. I already have mip driveshafts. and I could loosen or tighten the slipper clutch. I love offroad. would this work well? it would be awesome.

anyone tried it or have any opinions on 550 in 2wd.
    is there a 2wd with a stronger transmission? ive heard the rustler has the strongest. doubt it.
    recommendations, help or advice would be appreciated thanks

oh and one other thing the 540 and 550 motors are relatively the same price on ebay where I shop
    Last edited by devin2turnergmo@yahoo.com; 07-27-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Buy the 540; don't be different. Trust me on this call; you'll save so much hassle/time.

whats your experience with 550s?

what hassle/ time??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    2wd off-road requires throttle control. Too much throttle and you spin out. Donuts are fun, spinning out while just trying to get the vehicle moving is frustrating. That's what you'll experience with a 550 in a 2wd while off-road. A 540 size motor will provide plenty of power to spin the tires, no need to make things less controllable with a 550. There's only one reason to put a 550 like the Castle 1415 2400kv in a Rustler and that's for speed runs on pavement with foam tires. A few years back when almost all 540's were 2 pole motors it made sense for some with big tires to run a longer motor in their 2wd off-road vehicle. But now almost all 540's are 4 pole (more power and torque than 2 pole) which means you no longer need a longer motor to run big tires and stay cool. Short course and some 4wd's do need bigger motors like a 550 due to the fact those vehicles are heavier.

The Rustler trans is pretty strong, when it's in VXL trim with the steel gears, the internal diff gears are still plastic though. I never had a problem with mine even when ran on 3s. There's also lots of gearing options for this trans so it can suit just about any motor.
    Punch Control? I don't need no stinking Punch Control!