Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Whats the Best Off-Road car to get for £150

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 03:13 AM
FunSnipes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the Best Off-Road car to get for £150

Hi, I am new to RC Cars and I am looking for a RC car that is quite fast and is good at off-roading. I saw a few on ModelSportUK

I also don't know what makes and models are best.

Thanks, FunSnipes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:06 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I'd say this. It is a kit, so you would need to build it. But, then when you do build it, you know all the components.

Chassis; http://www.modelsport.co.uk/kyosho-a...roducts/380555
Radio/Receiver; http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2Ch_Tx_Rx.html
Servo; http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s.htmlBattery; http://www.amazon.co.uk/7-2v-Tamiya-...ds=6+cell+nimh
Charger of your choice.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:33 AM
FunSnipes

Is that everything I would need to get it running and would it have good speed and handling?

thanks, FunSnipes
Old 08-03-2014, 08:09 AM
collector1231

Other than a charger and battery, yes. That is all you need.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:35 AM
FunSnipes

Would this car be a good one? http://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick...products/38122
Old 08-03-2014, 10:38 AM
collector1231

Not really. You'll find yourself repairing it more than playing with it; it is a Redcat or Exceed RC clone.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:01 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great inexpensive charger: Thunder AC680 Professional Dual-Power LiPo Balance Charger Discharger w AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software

Battery: GENS ACE 5000mAh 40C 7.4V Hardcase Lipo Battery Pack ROAR approval

Eventually you'll need some tools, lubes for bearings and tranny, and shock oil.

You're starting out right: Do your research, ask questions, and buy what excites you. You may have some brands in the UK that are good, but that we may not know about here in the US, but the most common brands are Associated, Losi, Traxxas, OFNA, and Durango. There are also ECX, Arrma, Axial, Vaterra, Thunder Tiger....and a host of other lesser-known names. Then there's the Asian brands like Kyosho, mostly for serious racers, and Tamiya that specializes in scale rigs.

For your budget, I would look at the ECX, Arrma and Thunder Tiger lines. OFNA also has some good choices, depending on what excites you. I picked up an OFNA (made by HoBao) Hyper 10TT truggy "roller" (all assembled, minus electronics) brand new for only $189. Excellent build quality. Just needed the addition of front and rear bumpers to keep suspension arms from breaking in nasty crashes. I installed a $80 motor system, $20 radio system, and a $50 servo. (BTW, OFNA doesn't actually make their own cars, but HoBao and HongNor are known to make good cars.)

Take your time deciding, ask questions. We'll help you best we can.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:40 AM
FunSnipes

Hi, thanks for helping, is the kit that the other guy made any good?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:51 PM
collector1231

Yes it is, if I don't say so myself...
Old 08-04-2014, 05:30 PM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kyosho is a long-time player in the RC world. Good products. A lot of "what is a good car for me" starts with another question: "Do you have a hobby store nearby, to browse and ask questions? Or are you going to do all of this on-line?" Including all of your spare parts, tools, etc. If you're cool with buying everything on-line, Then the world opens up to you.

Once you narrow in on what interests you, look for model-specific forums....read the posts, learn, ask. That's the best way to get a feel for what you're getting in to.
And when you DO decide, you'll likely have a forum or forums with people who can help you with the little niggles that every RC car has, and that can usually be easily solved. There are certainly no shortages of opinions around here. lol.