Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Batteries with EnerG 4600 mah cells?

Been looking into getting some new 7 cell batteries for my BL revo but always ran lipos. I've been searching on and off all day on the best batteries to get and I found that EnerG 4600 built packs are the way to go. But I can not find them anywhere. Pre-built or even loose cells. Anyone know where I can find them? Maybe they are discontinued since all the posts that I read were 2010 and older. If so, what are some good reliable nimh packs that are easy to get ahold of now? I can't find anything recent on nimh packs other than venom sucks. I've even thought about building my own packs if I knew what cells were good. Anyway, thanks for any input.
    E-MAXX 16.8
    Stampede 4x4 brushed
    E-revo brushless
    Mini e-revo brushless
    Nitro RS4 evo
    XXX-NT powered by trx 2.5
    Factory Team RC10GT With O.S. max .12
    GS SUT with RB .21
    Stock GS SUT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you've been running Lipo why would you want to downgrade to NiMh? NiMh weighs more, has greater voltage drop under load (can't supply as many amps) and you raise the possibility of hurting the esc. If you're set on NiMh gear a few teeth more conservatively than you would with 4s Lipo just to be safe. Cheapbatterypacks.com has Elite 5000mah packs and loose cells but I'm out of the loop on NiMh.

If you're looking for a safer chemistry consider Li ion or LiFe instead. If you're worried about water you can wrap your Lipos in plastic food wrap for water resistance but it will take more work to make them waterproof.
    Punch Control? I don't need no stinking Punch Control!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well I'm tired of how picky lipos are. I've got hundreds of wasted dollars in puffed lipos and I'm tired of it. Out of 3 pairs of batteries, I do not have even 2 matching bats left. I have no other electrics other that my mini revo, so even the remaining single batteries are useless to me. Even the 3s I had for my mini has puffed. So I figure I'll sacrifice some power to be able to always get to take my truck out when I want. What about these life and li ion? I came across the li fe batteries somewhere online but were like 200 bucks a piece so I never looked into them.
    E-MAXX 16.8
    Stampede 4x4 brushed
    E-revo brushless
    Mini e-revo brushless
    Nitro RS4 evo
    GS SUT with RB .21
    Stock GS SUT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I can certainly understand your frustration. I'll look into some LiFe and Li-ion tomorrow.

But in the meantime Lipos don't puff for now reason. Generally you have to push them harder than they want to be pushed. Your setup (gearing) or the Lipos themselves could be to blame. I've had name brand Lipos with specs that said they should've handled my vehicles and they puffed. Some are just low quality with high price tags. What brand, spec were the Lipos and what is your setup (gearing, tires, voltage) and terrain?

Not trying to talk you into staying Lipo, just trying to find the problem. Although bang for the buck I feel lipo is hard to beat in most cases. For your 1/16 Revo I'd be really tempted to run dual NiMh though, probably in series but possibly parellel if I could get the speed I wanted out of it in parellel.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well I was hoping something had changed on the Li-ion front but there's still only the 2 sizes of round cells and neither would work well in a stock chassis Erevo. Since. Li-ion is 3.3v per cell and 2300mah you really need two packs that are at least 2s2p and they don't fit the Erevo battery boxes. So they're out.

LiFe (or technically LiFePO4) is 3.3v per/cell nominal 3.6v max and are shaped like Lipos. A pair of 3s would fit in the Erevo and be similar in voltage to a 5s Lipo which in my opinion is the sweet spot for the Castle 2200kv system. LiFe is more robust than Lipo, there's actually video of them with a nail through a pack and nothing happens. I haven't been able to find anything about failures or puffing of any kind and supposedly they have a life cycle of around 1000 charges vs about 300 for good Lipos.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ePo4_Pack.html

I'm not sure where or who's Lipos you've owned but I'm pretty sure I know where you found the $200 LiFe pack. In a quick search I only found 2 LiFe packs, the $200 Maxamps and the ones on Hobbyking for about 25% the price. I'm not a fan of Maxamps, I've had their packs puff without pushing them hard at all. Sucks to pay a premium thinking they'll be good while you're really just paying for their advertising and the fact they're assembled in the US. Still really curious about your setup and the Lipos that puffed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ok thanks. And yeah it was pretty frustrating. As for the battery brands they were SMC 5000's, thunder power 5400's, thunder power 2700's, and a 3s venom 1100 for mini. Tires were big joes and stock gearing. I never ever really beat on the truck that hard. Hell, every time I was the least bit rough on it, it'd throw a driveshaft, so I was easy on it most of the time. That's another reason I was going to go with nimh, the truck just won't stay together on 4s. Even CVDs were breaking. I know the 40 series are a little rough on the driveline but I don't think it would make all that much of a difference. I looked at the traxxas dish wheels and pin tires that were pre mounted. They were just as big and heave but with better traction. So you think it would hold up to big joes. But anyway, I'm def going to look up the LIFE batteries on HK. And yes the 200 dolar life's that I found were max amps. I've heard they are kinda low quality but big price.
    E-MAXX 16.8
    Stampede 4x4 brushed
    E-revo brushless
    Mini e-revo brushless
    Nitro RS4 evo
    GS SUT with RB .21
    Stock GS SUT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The thunder powers were both 25c and the SMC was 35 I believe. I've been looking into these life batteries and I like them from what I've read. And at 35 bucks a piece, can't beat that. Might give them a shot. I'm just scared it'll definitely break CVDs if it will have the power of 5s lipo.
    E-MAXX 16.8
    Stampede 4x4 brushed
    E-revo brushless
    Mini e-revo brushless
    Nitro RS4 evo
    GS SUT with RB .21
    Stock GS SUT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you are running 25C and 30C Lipos in a big motor system that is drawing a crap-load of amps, you need to buy higher-C packs. At least 40C, if not 50C. The motor system is trying to draw more current than the batteries can deliver, which causes them to heat up and possibly puff. You put NIMHs in there, and you will destroy them. And possibly damage your ESC. Get a couple 50C 5000mah Gens Ace packs and I'll bet you have no problem....other than the problems with the eRevo itself.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ok thanks. I might give lipo another shot until I can find more life's. What c rating would you run in the mini revo?
    E-MAXX 16.8
    Stampede 4x4 brushed
    E-revo brushless
    Mini e-revo brushless
    Nitro RS4 evo
    GS SUT with RB .21
    Stock GS SUT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    At least 40C. 50C if they aren't too much more. And usually it's only $5.
    Just a schmoe....