Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Im sick of messing with the vxl esc's they are junk. What can I replace with?

Like the post says. I keep having to replace these things, and they are not cheap. What is a good alternative, for my stampede?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I had to replace the esc in my mini revo when the stock one went up in smoke about 2 weeks of having it. I used the castle sidewinder and have had no problems at all. It's actually a 1/10 scale esc so I'm sure it would work fine. I ran 3s all the time with the esc in in one battery tray and the battery in the other. I've had the motor get real hot on me but the esc was still cold, even being enclosed in the battery box. Maybe someone else will chime in with their experience with others.
    E-MAXX 16.8
    Stampede 4x4 brushed
    E-revo brushless
    Mini e-revo brushless
    Nitro RS4 evo
    XXX-NT powered by trx 2.5
    Factory Team RC10GT With O.S. max .12
    GS SUT with RB .21
    Stock GS SUT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What is happening that you need to replace them? What I'm getting at is there may be another issue causing the ESC to fail which could happen again even if you use a different make / model.
    Part-time RC Mechanic
    RDD Raceway Hobby Shop / Madera, CA
    Slot Cars - RC - Models - Toys

EXO Terra | SC10 4x4 | DESC210R | SCX10 Rubicon | SCX10 Honcho | Savage Flux HP | RC10 Graphite | RC10GT2 | Sakura S Zero | Vaterra Kemora | Losi Micro T | ECX Torment | Blade 500 3D | Blade MCPx | Blade QX2 350 (coming soon) | Flyzone Cessna Corvalis | HeliMax 1SQ Vcam | Estes Proto X

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yeah, like using NiMh batteries instead of Lipos. If you've been using NiMhs, I'll betcha that is what is killing your ESCs.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by EXT2Rob View Post
    Yeah, like using NiMh batteries instead of Lipos. If you've been using NiMhs, I'll betcha that is what is killing your ESCs.
    He said 3s lipos.

on that the gearing for traxxas RC's is not suitable for running 3s for extended durations as they are geared way too high.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM View Post
    He said 3s lipos.

on that the gearing for traxxas RC's is not suitable for running 3s for extended durations as they are geared way too high.
    Where did the OP say he uses 3S Lipo? He DIDN'T. In fact, he didn't tell us much at all, as to his setup, other than he has a VXL. Bkoz said he's run 3S in his MERV. Were you drawing a correlation between Bkoz's MERV and the OP's Stampede? That being, Traxxas tends to gear their cars too high in general? I might buy that. If that is the case, then every Traxxas owner should own an IR thermometer, and probably, gear their car down a tooth.

I maintain, however, that brushless systems and NiMh batteries are not good for each other. I bet the OP comes back and confirms he's been using NiMhs.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by EXT2Rob View Post
    Where did the OP say he uses 3S Lipo? He DIDN'T. In fact, he didn't tell us much at all, as to his setup, other than he has a VXL. Bkoz said he's run 3S in his MERV. Were you drawing a correlation between Bkoz's MERV and the OP's Stampede? That being, Traxxas tends to gear their cars too high in general? I might buy that. If that is the case, then every Traxxas owner should own an IR thermometer, and probably, gear their car down a tooth.

I maintain, however, that brushless systems and NiMh batteries are not good for each other. I bet the OP comes back and confirms he's been using NiMhs.
    sorry sorry didn't notice I missed the 1st post entirely somehow. my reply was more for the 2nd post on it getting real hot, and frying an esc.
    Side note Bkoz didn't mention a merv

weird a stampede fried an ESC as those things can run on almost any 1/10th scale ESC they are so light (unless its a 4X4 then it is extremely possible it fried as those almost need a 1/8th ESC)

agree on brushless, and NiMh's I don't know why companies even give NiMh with BL RC's anymore its pretty stupid.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I said 3s. Referring to my sidewinder holding up very well 3s with absolutely no heat problems.
    E-MAXX 16.8
    Stampede 4x4 brushed
    E-revo brushless
    Mini e-revo brushless
    Nitro RS4 evo
    XXX-NT powered by trx 2.5
    Factory Team RC10GT With O.S. max .12
    GS SUT with RB .21
    Stock GS SUT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by josh h View Post
    I said 3s. Referring to my sidewinder holding up very well 3s with absolutely no heat problems.
    you said you had the motor get hot that would be a gearing issue.
    The ESC shouldn't get hot as its meant for a vehicle that weighs like 2X more, and a motor that pulls almost 3X more current lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I accidentally shorted one out once. It still fully functions, despite the little burn hole. They run hot, but I have not managed to break one. I run 2S though, that seems to be a good middle ground between NiMh and 3S. It definitely needs LiPo to run correctly.
    If it works, take it apart, and find out why.

Evader ST | TL-01 MT | SCX10 G6 | Micro BL SCT | Pulse XT 25e | Black 10 | Radian | Alias | MCX2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Generally the VXL is a good reliable ESC, I personally don't like it due to the lack of tuning options.

as for replacing it with something better.... hobbywing Ezrun series. There are a few ESC ranging in different specifications.

But.... U say they VXL is junk,
    what happened?
    how many times has it happened?
    is u stampede completely stock??? Have u touched the electronics at all, ie. Ext. BEC, LED lights... Anything?
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    | Serpent 811T-E | Tamiya TRF 801XT-E |
    | Hyper 9e | Slash 4x4 STRC LCG |
    | Stampede 4x4 | Stampede | Blitz |
    | Futaba 4PLS Controls 'em All |

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Rob, that was Josh talking about the MERV, not I. That's beside the point. I have had my hands on several of the Velineon ESCs over the years and they don't usually die easily. I agree that the worst part about them is the lack of tuning options. Interestingly they can run a sensored motor.

I can't say anything about the EZRuns other that I generally read good comments about them. I'll have to try one myself.

Castle is in the same category as Traxxas and Dynamite in my book except that they have the tuning ability and the Castlelink is convenient. I have a couple Castle ESCs myself but they're not my favorites. Relatively inexpensive and easy to obtain. My favorite at the moment is Viper. I have a Copperhead 4x4 SC system with a 550 can and it's making a name for itself!
    Part-time RC Mechanic
    RDD Raceway Hobby Shop / Madera, CA
    Slot Cars - RC - Models - Toys

EXO Terra | SC10 4x4 | DESC210R | SCX10 Rubicon | SCX10 Honcho | Savage Flux HP | RC10 Graphite | RC10GT2 | Sakura S Zero | Vaterra Kemora | Losi Micro T | ECX Torment | Blade 500 3D | Blade MCPx | Blade QX2 350 (coming soon) | Flyzone Cessna Corvalis | HeliMax 1SQ Vcam | Estes Proto X