Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Ofna ultra lxe2 electronics suggestions/recommendations?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Ofna ultra lxe2 electronics suggestions/recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:15 AM
Lt_JimDangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ofna ultra lxe2 electronics suggestions/recommendations?

I'm just getting back in the hobby and looking to get the Ofna ultra lx2e 1/8 scale buggy. But as being outta the loop for awhile I'm not sure what motors, esc, and servos are good or bad these days. So I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations on brushless motors, Esc, and servo that would be a good fit for the ofna ultra lx2e. Also what size lipo packs would best be for these electronics.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, how do you feel about buying Chinese-made products? Motor systems from HobbyWing (EZrun & Xerun) and radios from FlySky are great bargains and are just as good in most cases as anything else, for a LOT less money. When I first went brushless, I had a Castle Sidewinder. Crazy powerful, but the ESC died after three months. That was a $120 system and did NOT include a programming card. I then bought a EZrun system (with programming card) for $70. Still running them. Gens Ace Lipos are a good value, even if you do have to solder on your own connectors (unless you solder bullet connectors onto the ESC). You'll also need a charger, get this one Thunder AC680 Professional Dual-Power LiPo Balance Charger Discharger w AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software on sale right now for $50 (usually $70). It's quiet, plugs into the wall (doesn't require a DC power supply) and charges at 80Watts up to 6 Amps.

Now, what you will have to decide is just what motor system to get. For your Ofna buggy, you'll probably want to look at the Xerun systems, they tend to have the bigger motors needed for that size vehicle. Search here, or Google "good motor for ofna lx2e" and see what other LX2E owners are using. Most 8th scale buggies use "550-size" motors (large motor can) as opposed to the smaller 540-size (or even 380) in the 2wd cars. Motors are rated in "kv" which means (oddly) "revolutions per volt". Most buggy guys use motors in the 2000kv range, then use two 2S (two-cell) Lipos with a series "Y" adapter to get 14.8V or the equivalent of a 4S.

When you buy Lipos, especially for a large vehicle like this, buy pack with at least a 40C rating. Why? The C-rating is an indication of how much current (amps) the pack can deliver. While it's true this rating and it's true value, varies mfr to mfr, the point is, don't buy the cheap packs rated at 20C. In a large system like an Xerun 120 Amp system, you don't want to cheap-out on the batteries. A lower C-rated battery will heat up when big amps are being pulled from it. In all things electronic, heat is bad. Get packs with at least a 40C rating and a 5000mah capacity.

Be sure to "Storage Charge" your Lipos when you're done for the day. This is a "resting voltage" for Lipos, where the chemistry "likes to be". If you leave them charged all the time, it will shorten their useful life.

While I do like buying stuff from HobbyPartz.com, and have had good luck with some of their cheap servos, in light 2wd cars, but for the Ofna, I'd stick with a good Hitec servo with metal gears and at least 100oz/in of torque. The new thing in servos is "High-Voltage" servos. Rather than running off the system's nominal 5V (supplied by the ESC's Battery Elimination Circuit (BEC) they can run off the battery voltage, or, an external BEC adjusted to 7+ volts. Higher voltage = higher torque + faster transit.

That should give you some stuff to chew on for a while. I'm sure an Ofna LX2E owner will come along with some specific motor suggestions as to what kv would be good.

I have an Ofna / HoBao Hyper 10TT. Really good build quality. But I was surprised how often I was breaking suspension arms. Suspension arms are kind of "sacrificial" parts, but I was breaking one almost every race day. Someone suggested the T-Bone Racing bumper set, which I got, and I haven't broken anything since! So keep that in mind if your buggy starts breaking stuff, but being 8th scale, it's probably tougher than my Hyper10 .
Old 08-21-2014, 08:39 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

I recently bought an LX2e about a year ago, but haven't had time to run it much. Overall, I believe the electronics are great. ESC seems solid, radio seems solid. The motor Kv is a little low, which provides cogging at low speed, and not much top end. I upgraded to a 17t spur and still no motor temp issues. Diff fluids need to be exchanged. 10k in front, 5k in rear, 50-60k in center. The stock servo is junk. Strips out very easily. That would be my first upgrade out of the box. I run two Gens Ace 2s 50c 5000mah lipos and they are awesome. At a little over $40 a pack, you can't beat them. As far as a recommended motor Kv, I think 2650 or around there would be sufficient. 2400 maybe, but the stock 1800Kv is just too low, although it provides a ton of torque off the line.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:41 AM
cumminspower5.9

Reading your first post in this thread, it kind of looks like you are leaning towards a kit. In my opinion, you will end up spending more overall on a kit. The RTR is $300 last I checked from Towerhobbies. Then they have money saving coupons. Add in lipos, your under $400. $40-80 for a decent servo, you're still under $500.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Lt_JimDangle

Wow thanks EXT2Rob thats just the info i needed!

Yes cumminspower5.9 i am gunna be buying the 80% roller because as you said with the RTR the servo will need to be replaced right away and the motor isnt that fast so thats why im gunna buy the roller and just go straight for good quality electronics/ bigger motor, so i was expecting to be paying alittle more for the quality.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:13 PM
cumminspower5.9

When I was looking at the Ofna, I had a highly intelligent fellow on here help me get some idea and set stuff up. I didn't take his route and go with the roller since everything wasn't in my budget, but these are what he suggested to me... If none of those links work, I apologize. It is an old post.

ORIGINAL: Foxy
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Off-Road-Buggy - 200
http://www.hobbyhot.com/SKYRC-TORO-1...mbo-ME760.html - 150
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tal-Gear-Servo - 40
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Surface-Radio - 50
Old 08-21-2014, 05:15 PM
cumminspower5.9

Looks like the last link doesn't bring you to the product, but it was a DX2E radio with receiver.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 AM
EXT2Rob

A note on the Savox servos: Expensive, and they suck a ton of current. Some people have had to run external BECs with them because the ESC's BEC can't handle it. Makes the ESC freak out. My LHS won't even carry them.

And when talking about Ofna, I think "kit" usually means "80% roller". At least that is how my Hyper 10TT was listed.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
And when talking about Ofna, I think "kit" usually means "80% roller". At least that is how my Hyper 10TT was listed.
My LX1e was prebuilt. You needed to paint the body, install the electronics, attach the wing, and slap on the wheels.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:46 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Motor combo is really dependant on where u plan to drive.

Example, I just finished building a losi 8ight-e, to compete against a mates MBX7eco on a indoor high traction carpet track with banked turns and small jumps.

my mate is running a 2250kv on 4s and it needed the EPA toned down a little so he could hold it flat through the banked turns without having to let off. So considering that I ordered a XERun 150a 1800kv sensored combo for my losi... And it's perfect, it doesn't have the top end but it defiantly has more acceleration and on that track it makes a difference.

There is a lot of debating about batteries. But I'm using 1 of these batteries and my buddy is running 4 of these batteries and has been for close to 12 months... They are only 20c
http://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/view...dproduct=15521

so my recommendation is a xerun 1800kv combo on 4s for track days and 5s or 6s for bashing
Old 08-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Lt_JimDangle

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. This car is going to be used as a basher used on dirt roads, grass, etc. So i was thinking of getting a motor at or over 2000kv just for when i wanna get sum speed on a straight away.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Lt_JimDangle

Im probly gunna go with the castle creations sidewinder. Seems like thats what alot of people are running and because it seems like amost every site is out of stock on the hobbywing ezrun motors!
Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Lt_JimDangle

Does anybody know where i can find hobbywings ezrun3674SL motor thats in stock? Cant find any for the life of me!

Edit: also looking to get the hobbywing xerun 80a or 150a esc not sure which i should go for

So do you guys think a hobbywings ezrun3674SL which is 2350KV and a hobbywing xerun 80a or 150a esc is a good combo for this car? Thats if i can find either of them in stock any where, or should i just go with the CC Sidewinder which i can find for as low as 140 dollars?

Last edited by Lt_JimDangle; 09-02-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 AM
EXT2Rob

Eesh....that's the only problem with HobbyPartz, when they go out of stock on something, you have to wait MONTHS before they get it back in. Drives me nutz sometimes.

You'd probably be happy with the Castle system as long as you run Lipo. Their motors are really strong. I wonder about their electronics. I think I killed my Sidewinder ESC by running Nimhs. My buddy also killed his too. They were the Sv2, so maybe the Sv3 is better?
Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Lt_JimDangle

Yea ill probly be going with the castle and run it on a 4s lipo. which i think will be more then enough power to bash around with im not going for a top speed record just yet

Edit: also looking for a servo i can use with this ESC without haven to use an external BEC but if i must i will.

Last edited by Lt_JimDangle; 09-03-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:45 PM
EXT2Rob

A sidewinder on 4S? Might check, but I think they're limited to 3S.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Lt_JimDangle

The specs on the sidewinder 8th the one I'm looking to get says min 2s an max 6s.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:03 PM
EXT2Rob

Ah Sidewinder 8th, then ya no problem! I thought you were talking about the smaller cousins, Sv2, Sv3 or SCT.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Lt_JimDangle

Well my girlfriend suprised me and ordered my car for me which is way cool, and i just ordered my motor which both should be here by tuesday! So all i need now is the servo and batteries(lipos) and im gunna be ordering the charger you posted EXT2Rob!

As for servos whats i know i need to get or more then 100oz/in of torque and metal gears but as i see there is analog and digital, not sure which to go for or whats the diff?

Last edited by Lt_JimDangle; 09-05-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Lt_JimDangle

http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-a105.html

Would this be a sutiable servo for my lx2e

Last edited by Lt_JimDangle; 09-07-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Lt_JimDangle

or this servo

http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Savo...aX2hoCK4Tw_wcB
Old 09-09-2014, 11:09 AM
EXT2Rob

Hmmm... I'd like to see you get the Solar servo, then tell me how it does for you! 208oz/in for $18? If true, that would be a killer servo. I have bought and used cheap servos like that from HobbyPartz, and had good luck with some of them. Didn't fare so well with the EXI brand. But I haven't tried the Solar brand, and I probably would have bought that one if they'd had it in stock when I needed it, but I ended up buying a Hitec from my LHS.

Lots of folks like the Savox servos, they're a well known and well made brand, but tend to be expensive, AND they also tend to suck the guts out of the Battery Elimination Circuit (BEC) that is built into most ESCs. This can cause all kinds of problems. So most people who use them also use an external BEC unit. My local hobby store won't even carry them.

Personally, I like Hitec. Never had a problem with one.

Digital vs analog? An average guy probably isn't going to notice a difference. The digital servos tend to make a little buzzing sound sometimes. The more expensive digital units are also programable. Programable for what I don't know.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Lt_JimDangle

I ended up going with a futaba s3305. So now im just waiting on that and my batterys to arrive and ill have my car up and running!
Old 09-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Lt_JimDangle

so my ofna ultra lx2e 1/8 scale buggy specs

Car: http://www.ofna.com/ultralx2e.php
Motor/ESC: http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...winder8th.html
Servo: http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/s3305
Battery: http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...se-direct.html
Old 09-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Lt_JimDangle

And im looking to remove the banana connecters on the battery and either use castle connecters or sum other type of connecter. Whats the best size and type of connecter out there and is there any thing i should do/not do when soldering lipo batterys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.